The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
I was just diagnosed as autistic......
Old 4th July 2020
Lives for gear

I was just diagnosed as autistic......

Hey guys, at 29 years old I just got diagnosed autistic.....

Growing up I never sang cause I hated the sound of my voice, hated children’s music. I took piano lessons starting around age 6. I had the ability to play back songs I heard. I soon began asking my piano teachers to play songs so I could hear them. I didn’t practice reading music. At age 14, I worked full time and flipped thru about 30 guitar amps looking for perfect tone. I was getting gigs because I had the ability to learn songs(or fake it) because of my good ears....studied jazz in college, dropped out to go on a tour. I lacked the ability to focus on repetition and consistency, I was bothered by so many small details that I would constantly get internally frustrated. I also lacked social skills. I was fortunate to work for good people who took care of me. Around age 22 I gave up on music. I hated myself for doing it everyday. Last year at age 28 I realized that if I wasn’t exercising creativity and utilizing my abilities, I’d regret my whole life, regardless of my measure of success.

I recently started therapy and have come to learn that I’ve struggled heavily with autism my whole life. It’s a blessing because of sound sensitivity, but now I understand my deficiencies. I am learning strategies and coping mechanisms to function more optimally. I hope to get back into music full time. I feel I’m getting old, but I hope to be back better than ever.

I’ve helped many friends with songwriting, producing, mixing, live sound, playing techniques, arrangements, Etc but always struggled with my own stuff. I would get too caught up in details that it crippled me. This is what I’m working thru.

If any of you guys have autism or know of any great resources, I’d really appreciate it. I’m new to all of this.
Old 6th September 2020
Lives for gear

I'm sure your story is familiar to a lot of folks here.

The sensitivity to hearing is a blessing and also a curse. I wear ear plugs because of it but things still get on my nerves. A lot of autistic people (on various parts of the spectrum) don't understand what is going on with them and end up feeling "cursed" and alienation is a big problem for people in that situation. At least you're still young and have plenty of time to grow into yourself without feeling like an outcast of society.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepilgrimsdream View Post
Hey guys, at 29 years old I just got diagnosed autistic.....

Growing up I never sang cause I hated the sound of my voice, hated children’s music. I took piano lessons starting around age 6. I had the ability to play back songs I heard. I soon began asking my piano teachers to play songs so I could hear them. I didn’t practice reading music. At age 14, I worked full time and flipped thru about 30 guitar amps looking for perfect tone. I was getting gigs because I had the ability to learn songs(or fake it) because of my good ears....studied jazz in college, dropped out to go on a tour. I lacked the ability to focus on repetition and consistency, I was bothered by so many small details that I would constantly get internally frustrated. I also lacked social skills. I was fortunate to work for good people who took care of me. Around age 22 I gave up on music. I hated myself for doing it everyday. Last year at age 28 I realized that if I wasn’t exercising creativity and utilizing my abilities, I’d regret my whole life, regardless of my measure of success.

I recently started therapy and have come to learn that I’ve struggled heavily with autism my whole life. It’s a blessing because of sound sensitivity, but now I understand my deficiencies. I am learning strategies and coping mechanisms to function more optimally. I hope to get back into music full time. I feel I’m getting old, but I hope to be back better than ever.

I’ve helped many friends with songwriting, producing, mixing, live sound, playing techniques, arrangements, Etc but always struggled with my own stuff. I would get too caught up in details that it crippled me. This is what I’m working thru.

If any of you guys have autism or know of any great resources, I’d really appreciate it. I’m new to all of this.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I hope you are doing well.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

It seems like you have good insight into yourself, and that's a great resource to have. I identify with much of your story, although I have never sought a diagnosis. Best of luck with your future work and progress.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear