The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Impacted Cerumen / Earwax & Removal
Old 27th November 2019
Impacted Cerumen / Earwax & Removal

Over the past 3 weeks my left ear has exhibited an increasing attenuation in high frequencies especially in the morning when I wake up - combined with a feeling of pressure, and some very mild, dull pain and a little itching. While I originally became fairly depressed about it and initially thought it might be hearing loss, eventually I came to suspect it might be earwax, as I wear earplugs often when doing chores with loud tools and the occasional live sound gig (I almost always use sound level meters and earplugs while doing live sound but you can't always have the earplugs in through the whole gig).

I just went into the ENT doctor last week and was relieved to learn I had impacted earwax / cerumen in my left ear. The doctor removed the earwax with a vacuum tool. So much better.

The doctor told me standard earplugs can push in the wax and cram it next to and around the eardrum. And apparently worry or concern of hearing loss is fairly common in these situations.

About 25 years ago, I had earwax removed with warm water and syringe. It seems to me that back then huge chunks of wax were removed. Does anyone know what, if any difference might there be in the effectiveness of the vacuum removal method vs. the syringe method?

Best regards,
Old 29th November 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerCheeseNPolka View Post
Does anyone know what, if any difference might there be in the effectiveness of the vacuum removal method vs. the syringe method?
There might be a difference depending on your ENT. Some of them could poorly handle the vacuum cleaner and make a hell of a noise near your eardrum. Though this tool is apparently very quiet, it's not the same story once inside your ear canal. It sometimes makes over saturated loud sounds. I have sometimes felt better before earwax removal in this kind of situation haha! So now I ask the ENT only to use water. But the result is exactly the same.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search