The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Hearing a difference pitch in each ears ! I am devastated...
Old 29th September 2019
Gear Nut

Hearing a difference pitch in each ears ! I am devastated...

Hello !

So I would like to know if some of you are familiar with this (diplacusis), or can give me your opinion on this.

I have some hearing loss for years (I am not a music mixer or producer and not a singer, I am a composer/songwriter and I work with other producers)

I basically discovered some times ago that a sine wave was a bit higher in one ear than in the other ear.

I found it strange, and so I decided to test with music, and see if I could make any difference.

And the result was very depressing : I hear the music in a higher pitch in my left ear than in my right ear.

The thing is, the difference is slight (it's about 10 cents, a semitone = 100 cents, a quart of semitone = 50 cents, half a quart of semitone = 25 cents)

So, I am hearing about a quarter of quarter of semitone of difference between each ears...

I never had the impression that I was hearing not in tune when listening to music with speakers or headphones, BUT, if I make a comparison, one side has a higher pitch...

So, my questions are :

1. Is it common ?

2. Is it something that can hinder my ability to make music ?

Thanks a lot !!!
Old 29th September 2019
Gear Addict
I don't know anything useful about diplacusis, but wanted just to extend empathy and encouragement.

Has your doctor provided more specifics on the underlying cause and possible treatment options?

Another composer wishing you well,

Ray H.
Old 29th September 2019
Lives for gear

Sorry to read this also. I wonder if hearing aids might help?
Chris

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search