The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Has anyone tried tinnitus retraining therapy?
Old 4 weeks ago
Has anyone tried tinnitus retraining therapy?

I was getting impressions for Sensaphonics (anyone looking for impressions or audiology in the Denver area, look up Drew Price. She's trained by Sensaphonics, knows music, and after 20+ years of dealing with custom molded products, she's really the best I've met. She's done impressions for some of the best musicians in the West.), and I mentioned my struggle with tinnitus. Drew suggested tinnitus retraining therapy, where they determine the frequencies of your tinnitus and then give you specially programmed hearing aids that subliminally produce those frequencies all day, as well as provide a bit of a boost of the sounds around you. It takes months, if not years, to reach maximum effect, but she said that some of her patients, who suffer tinnitus from exposure to loud sounds, like us musicians, have experienced reduction in the perceived levels of tinnitus, sometimes a dramatic reduction.

The theory is that when you damage the hairs in your cochlea, your brain stops receiving those frequencies, so it turns the gain up all the way to try to hear in that area, and basically creates the noise in your head. If you provide a small amount of those frequencies, your brain eventually is satisfied that it's getting the full spectrum and backs off.

I'm tempted, but it ain't cheap.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search