The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Can't hardly move today.
Old 27th August 2019
Lives for gear

Can't hardly move today.

It was a morning like any other in a Colorado high country morning cabin. I awoke as I always do to my Labrador looking at me like oh good you're awake, I need to pee and poo and then have my breakfast like yesterday and all days previous.

I put her on her leash because she'll eat her poop from yesterday if I don't, and opened the back deck door to take her out... BOW WOW WOW WOW as she stained at her leash to get at the fox strutting through the yard, I dug in my slipper-ed heals to hold back 80 pounds of pissed off beast when my feet slipped out from under me because the dew was frozen pond ice. I never know when the first day of treacherous deck wood will be at the end of summer, but I guess is was today. Shwoop, Bang! I came down on my backside on the hard deck and the leash came out of my hand. The fox ran off, the dog is old enough to just sniff where it was, but I had to gather myself anyway to go grab the end of the leash before she did chase it.

I'm ok sitting here, but if I try to get up.....
Old 27th August 2019
Sound like it's gonna be a Motrin day.
Old 28th August 2019
My deep sympathies. I guess it goes without saying (particularly at this point) but as we get older (and we all are, eh?), we have to continually readjust how we approach everyday situations. For older folks, especially many women, a fall like you took can break a hip. And you don't want that if you can avoid it. (Ask me, I got a broken hip and a bunch of other injuries back in '80 when a careless driver hit my motorcycle.)

Me, since I have considerable pain from resulting traumatic arthritis that comes and goes with barometric pressure, physical stress, etc, I've long wrestled with transitive chronic pain.

I basically rely on aspirin (with assistance from medical cannabis -- but it's the aspirin that does the heavy lifting, no question. Cannabis helps more with mood and a sort of distraction from pain; for me, it lets me forget the pain for a while, even if it doesn't knock it out).

I had some recent dental work and the dentist gave me a short prescription for some vicodin/Tylenol combo pills (the typical lowest tier of scrip pain med). The pills knocked my dental pain right down -- but I also got that "oo baby, this is the way you're 'supposed' to feel" opioid kick that reminded me far too much of my two months in the hospital when my primary form of recreation was watching daytime TV and buzzing the nurse for a shot every four hours. When they released me I had to go cold-turkey. The addiction wasn't too deep, but the withdrawal discomfort really added to my already troubled mood (I hadn't pictured myself in a wheel chair and using a walker at 30 -- happily, I was able to move to a cane after about 6 months; after a further treatment for some bones that never healed, I even was able to mostly set the cane aside for about 30 years, though I have to use it when I go out or I'll regret it. But, you know, small victories. )

As a consequence, even when I have a real bad day and can barely walk without serous pain/effort, I don't reach for the last of those vicodin/Tylenols. Because, while dental pain comes and goes, for me, pain in my lower body is a daily thing. I've been addicted. I will not let myself go down that road again (unless, you know, I'm on the way out, anyhow, then, at least you don't have to worry about withdrawal).

But, yeah, try an NSAID (aspirin, acetaminophen (Tylenol), or others). I like aspirin because the others have been correlated with liver damage from overuse or too strong dosages, but, of course, some folks have stomach troubles with it. Most docs seem to feel that acetaminophen offers good relief for chronic orthopedic pain as long as you are careful not to use more than the mandated warnings/recommendations. Me, I'm a bit more leery than they are. But a lot of docs like it. several have tried to argue me away from aspirin, despite the fact that I don't have any side effects (touch wood). (I actually had a fairly extended convo with one about the drug, as I'd just read up on it. The doc seemed confident in his recommendations but he allowed as how there were overuse risks. That said, you REALLY don't want to overdose on aspirin. I know someone who did -- it may well have been intentional as she was a military nurse -- but it was not a good death. That said, she didn't just take a couple extra. It was a serious overdose.)

tl;dr: Been there a bit, myself; best of luck on your recovery and be careful going forward.

Last edited by theblue1; 28th August 2019 at 07:22 PM..
Old 28th August 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
... best of luck on your recovery and be careful going forward.
Be careful going forward and backward.
Old 28th August 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Be careful going forward and backward.
Dude... I'm so old, I don't have a backup cam.
Old 2nd September 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitman View Post
It was a morning like any other in a Colorado high country morning cabin. I awoke as I always do to my Labrador looking at me like oh good you're awake, I need to pee and poo and then have my breakfast like yesterday and all days previous.

I put her on her leash because she'll eat her poop from yesterday if I don't, and opened the back deck door to take her out... BOW WOW WOW WOW as she stained at her leash to get at the fox strutting through the yard, I dug in my slipper-ed heals to hold back 80 pounds of pissed off beast when my feet slipped out from under me because the dew was frozen pond ice. I never know when the first day of treacherous deck wood will be at the end of summer, but I guess is was today. Shwoop, Bang! I came down on my backside on the hard deck and the leash came out of my hand. The fox ran off, the dog is old enough to just sniff where it was, but I had to gather myself anyway to go grab the end of the leash before she did chase it.

I'm ok sitting here, but if I try to get up.....
Speedy recovery. When you get a a chance soak ur sorrows while making some transformative tunes that’s how I cope with pain of the body and mind.
Old 2nd September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalimo View Post
Speedy recovery. When you get a a chance soak ur sorrows while making some transformative tunes that’s how I cope with pain of the body and mind.
I'm still a mess and only slightly better. we're beginning to think I may have fractured a rib or something.
Old 2nd September 2019
Old 4th September 2019
Gear Addict

Ouuuch sorry to hear get better.
Old 5th September 2019
Lives for gear

I drove myself to the hospital with 3 broken vertebra, but an unknown pain, years later at o-dark thirty, put me on the ground.

ER gave me Toridol and Dilaudid, which brought the sunshine right on out. After a CAT scan confirmed a 6 mm kidney stone.

Toridol is an anti-inflammatory.

Another round of spasms, ER gave me morphine.
No joy, it didn't even touch the pain. Waiting 6 weeks for the stone to pass was hell. The Percodan they prescribed did less than morphine.

My sister, an MD, recommended I augment the Percodan with OTC Alleve. Simple reasoning... stone irritates tissue, causing swelling. Swelling further irritates tissue, causing more pain yet.

Alleve is a good anti-inflammatory, helping to break the vicious circle.

You have to hit it pretty hard, regularly, and stay AHEAD of the pain cycle. It takes about three days to get the levels up and the swelling down, EACH TIME you stop, or forget.

She based my dose on bodyweight, 210 lbs, at 2 Alleve every 6 hours, 24/7. She stressed that I should NOT exceed this, I think due to potential liver damage.

I keep a good supply of Alleve around these days.

Pain often involves swelling, swelling brings more pain, Alleve reduces swelling.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search