The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Crying baby/ears
Old 9th August 2019
Gear Addict
Crying baby/ears

Ever since the birth of my first child 3 weeks ago I’ve struggled to mix things like cymbals and guitars. I just seem to go around in circles which is something I haven’t really done for years.

I’m sure there’s nothing permanent but I feel like the crying and volume has made my ears feel a bit “numb”. It could be a combination of that and tiredness but its making my work life harder than it has to be.

Anyone else experienced anything similar?
Old 9th August 2019
I have not experienced exactly this, but can certainly associate these types of problems with lack of sleep, which you are most likely going to be enduring for some time to come given the new arrival.

Power naps are your friend.

In the interim, if you are struggling, try to rely more heavily on reference material, checking often.
Old 9th August 2019
Gear Addict
Thanks for the reply and good advice. Maybe I just need a few days away from the speakers and focus on sleep
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I try to use earplugs. those little bastards know just how to do the most damage. Its most likely also sleep deprevation. Just admit to yourself that everything must be put on hold for a year and try to feel okay with it. Laundry, eating, everything. And in a few months you got it all under control and you will be back on track without even noticing!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict
Thank you lol. I've been using earplugs and they definitely help. It's not so much the general whinge crying, it's more when she gets hysterical about something but fortunately that's becoming less and less regular. The disturbed sleep definitely has an impact on my mixing abilities though. Something that would normally take me a day or two to complete takes me almost twice as long lol. I feel like I'm not as sharp mentally so I end up bogged down going round in circles but eventually it will pass!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

My first kid didn't sleep through the night for 4 1/2 years . Ymmv

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search