The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Tinnitus Treatment with Notched Music Therapy
Old 15th July 2019
Tinnitus Treatment with Notched Music Therapy

Has anyone here had any luck trying notched music therapy to help alleviate their tinnitus? The theory is you notch out the frequency of your tinnitus (mine's at 7.8K) and then listen to an hour of music with that freq. notched out for an hour or so a day and it's supposed to do the trick. There are expensive programs on the web for that but has anyone created their own program at home that worked or had any form of this technique effective for them?
Old 15th July 2019
Interesting!

That's almost the 'opposite' of the peculiar tactic I've developed for temporary (and sometimes very brief, it must be said) relief from my own tinnitus:

When I become aware of the persistent keen of tinnitus (and I'm not in a crowd of people), I cover my ears with my fingers and, starting with low-to-high 'sweeps,' I hum 'loudly' (sounds louder because I've closed my ears), and, after sweeping, tend to center for a few seconds or more on the ranges (or lower octaves of those ranges) where I hear the familiar whine.

The relief can be fairly significant, if often brief. (And sometimes I have do do several passes for any relief.) But a lot of times, just getting a few moment's relief can ease my psychological discomfort and let me get back to work at whatever I'm doing (which is not necessarily music/sound work, though, of course, it can be helpful there).

My 'thinking' -- such as it is -- is that the damaged range of my hearing seems to be self-adjusting ever-upward until it gets into oscillation. The loud humming, to my speculative thinking, seems to suppress that over-action of the hearing system's internal 'automatic volume control' -- at least for a little while. When I'm lucky.

BTW, I've tried explaining this tactic to a number of others and only one has said he got some relief. So if anyone tries the above -- and it actually works for them, please let me know.
Old 15th July 2019
Seemed to work for me...for about 4 or 5 seconds. Interesting
Old 15th July 2019
Here's a free website for notch therapy: https://tinnitusnotch.com/
Old 16th July 2019
Gear Head
I always wondered about what frequency I was hearing, seems 6332 is pretty close. I'll have to try again another day and see if I can get closer. Its not as easy as I thought it would be to get the correct frequency(s).
Thanks for posting this.
Old 16th July 2019
Here for the gear

The opposite worked for me. I listened to sine waves of my tinnitus fequencies and noticed an immediate improvement. Every few days I give myself a booster shot with short mp3's (20 seconds each) of the frequencies. Strangely, it always relaxes me too. Perhaps there is a link between tinnitus and increased anxiety?
It must be noted that this was part of a broader strategy against tinnitus. Following a few things I went from moderate chronic tinnitus to almost no tinnitus in quiet environment.
Old 16th July 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfmanhalftoast View Post
The opposite worked for me. I listened to sine waves of my tinnitus fequencies and noticed an immediate improvement. Every few days I give myself a booster shot with short mp3's (20 seconds each) of the frequencies. Strangely, it always relaxes me too. Perhaps there is a link between tinnitus and increased anxiety?
It must be noted that this was part of a broader strategy against tinnitus. Following a few things I went from moderate chronic tinnitus to almost no tinnitus in quiet environment.
That's interesting as well. I tried it for just a few seconds and it did seem to take the edge off but not sure if it's just a psychological effect or real.
Old 16th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
What else worked for you?
Old 16th July 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Coates View Post
Seemed to work for me...for about 4 or 5 seconds. Interesting
I sometimes have to make several passes.

For me, more than a little is simply getting enough relief to be 'distracted' to a more interesting topic than whether or not there's a high, keening squeal in one or more ears. (Like many, I can get different tones depending on the ear.)
Old 16th July 2019
Quote:
This had already occurred to me and I'd been meaning to try it. Your story -- don't worry, I won't be crushed if it doesn't work for me, I've been around -- really fires me up to figure out where my tinnitus sore points are and try it!

Thanks for sharing!

(I always feel more than a little silly trying to describe my own, far more ad hoc, less-focused approach. But I've kept doing it because, for me, the tactic has offered some relief -- and might prove even more helpful to others in some scenario. Worth feeling a bit silly at times if it can either help someone or spur some further thinking on the topic.)
Old 16th July 2019
Gear Addict

As the linked site mentions, notched stimulus therapy has been the subject of several research papers, and there has been a commercial, portable product available for quite a few years through medical professionals. There's a US patent on the idea, #6974410 , first filed in 2002, with a patent date of 2005.

Part of the application of the medical version (and the patent) was the profiling of hearing threshold, and contouring the stimulus signal (noise) as a result. There's no practical way to do that for general use because of the lack of calibrated audiometery gear. But the response contour of the therapy stimulus did play a significant role.

Also, attempting any tinnitus conditioning for sporadic and short-duration sessions is unlikely to produce any sustained or reliable results. IIR the medical version required 20 minutes exposure to the conditioning signal every day for several months. The specific level of the stimulus is also quite critical. You don't want it to loud (for obvious reasons) but too quiet seems to reduce the efficacy too. Part of the hearing profile testing was to determine an optimum intensity setting for the conditioning signal.

The other issue is that tinnitus takes many forms, including multiple tones per ear, low and high frequency noise, and tones that are not consistent over time. the therapy suggested was intended for those with stable tinnitus tones (not tinnitus noise), where it becomes practical to create a notch at the tone frequency.

Finally, I did try this several years ago without any special software, I used Adobe Audition. Pitch-matched tones, used non-exotic notch filters 1/6 octave. My stimulus noise was a recording of ocean surf, and exposure was variable, an hour or so at bed time, sometimes falling asleep with the conditioning running at a moderate level. It does work, but does require periodic refreshing. Again, optimizing the conditioning time is in terms of 20 minutes to 1 hour, every day, for 90 days before stable results can be observed.
Old 17th July 2019
Lives for gear

I haven't tried that, but one thing that has helped me is kind of a weird technique that stimulates a nerve in the back of the skull.

You put your thumbs in your ears and then lace your hands around the back of your head so the middle fingers meet. Then, kind of like snapping your fingers, you let one middle finger slide off the top of the other so that you tap on the back of your head about 40 times.

It seems to reduce the severity of the ringing.
Old 18th July 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
What else worked for you?
1. Jaw exercises to release tension. Must have had a lot of tension there because everytime I would do it, I would hear a loud crack. Neck/Shoulder massages were also recommended but I didn't need those so much.

2. Custom molded earplugs for loud environments.

3. Finding white noise type sounds which decreased it - in my case it was ocean waves.

4. An awareness that anything that increases neural activity in the brain will probably increase the tinnitus as well, but this isn't so much the problem as the lack of adequate relaxation nowadays. Any way you can quieten your mind is really important. Our brains are really overworked nowadays with modern devices, caffeine, etc.

5. This was certainly not recommended by the clinic, and comes from leftfield, but I found that a prebiotic diet and Lactobacillus rhamnosus supplements really helped in many ways, including tinnitus. I completely understand if people want to be sceptical about this, but it worked for me. Search up "rhamnosus anti-anxiety."

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search