The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
High frequencies hearing loss and acoustic instruments
Old 3rd March 2019
Gear Nut

High frequencies hearing loss and acoustic instruments

Hi ! I have as I wrote in some previous threads, hearing loss in the high frequencies.
My hearing break at 14khz (left ear) and 15khz (right ear).

It makes a lot of differences for some electronic music genres, especially the modern ones (like EDM), where there is a bunch of high frequency synths noises for example.

However, when switching to more acoustic music, for example Pop music like Adele, Lana Del Rey, I don't feel like something is missing.

And while taking a frequency analyzer, I have seen that most of the acoustic instruments (piano, orchestra ensembles, violins, brass) cut around 8-10khz.

Of course, there is some frequencies above 10khz often, but it is very very at a low intensity, nothing very important, except for some drums (snare, cymbals).

So it looks like the importance of high frequencies depends a lot of the music genre.

Am I wrong ?
Old 3rd March 2019
Deleted c0657d7
Mix-wise there also are high frequency instruments (cymbals, shakers, triangles, picolo, etc.) in the arrangement and mix, making up the frequency balance, beyond the frequency limits of those main instruments.

So, I wouldn't say that the (lack of ) presence of higher frequencies depend on genre, but more on the particular sound the producer was after; a more "dark" sound.

I would agree though, that the more a genre relies on musicality** than on (high frequency) effects, the better the "tonal" ( <12kHz) frequencies will be represented, so that the higher frequencies, or their absence, matter less in allowing one to still get the full intent of the music.

** Mind you that I'm not implying that EDM and such are not musical; just that the frequencies of musical notes do not extend beyond 12kHz, or so.*

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search