The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Just had abdominal surgery. How long should I wait to sing again?
Old 29th January 2019
Lives for gear

Just had abdominal surgery. How long should I wait to sing again?

Last Monday I had my gall bladder removed, laparoscopically. I asked my doctor about singing and he really didn't know how to answer.
What I don't want to do is start too early and give myself a hernia. Full recovery is said to be 4 to 6 weeks for normal work. It's been 8 days and I have lots of work I could be getting done in the studio... But without being able to sing, it's really limiting. I feel like the safe thing is to wait at least 4 weeks before I try.
Anyone went through this? Am I being overly cautious?
Old 29th January 2019
Lives for gear

Wow Shannon. Error on the side of caution.
Am not a medical person.

So... Wishing you a speedy recovery.
Chris
Old 29th January 2019
Deleted c2a9416
Did he say to just sing your heart out ? ...

sorry ...couldn't resist ....
Old 29th January 2019
Gear Guru

When I had mine removed, it was the old medieval way. Apparently, in peach terms, my gall bladder was more of a "cling" than the typical "freestone." So giant scar, lots of stitches, and they basically said don't exert from the waist up for six months. But I was singing within a few weeks. I'd like to think your recovery would be a lot quicker than mine.
Old 29th January 2019
Gear Addict

Wishing you a speedy recovery! Listen to your body. If it hurts to sing don't do it. If it doesn't hurt then go little by little.

I'm not a doctor and have never played one on TV but I have recovered from major surgery a couple of times. IMHO a little bit of singing could be fun as long as you don't strain or push too hard. It will keep your spirits up and help pass the time.
Old 29th January 2019
Lives for gear

Thanks, guys!
I'll err on the side of caution. And maybe as Al says, go little by little and just see how things feel. Right now I'm afraid to do any singing at all... but I still have some swelling by the incisions, so it's obviously still the beginning stages of recovery.
Thanks again
Old 29th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
When I had mine removed, it was the old medieval way. Apparently, in peach terms, my gall bladder was more of a "cling" than the typical "freestone." So giant scar, lots of stitches, and they basically said don't exert from the waist up for six months. But I was singing within a few weeks. I'd like to think your recovery would be a lot quicker than mine.
Yes, I'm very thankful for the newer laparoacopic method! Wow, 6 months is a long time.
I don't know about you, but those pain episodes I was having from my gall bladder going bad are the worst I've ever felt in my life. So agonizing it brought me to tears.
One of the stones came out and blocked up my pancreas, and I ended up with pancreatitis. My lipaste was up over 3600, and I guess the pancreas is considered inflamed when it's over 40. It was a pretty crazy week.
Old 29th January 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon Adkins View Post
... those pain episodes I was having from my gall bladder going bad...
Yup. It hurt like hell.

Shortly after my surgery I was at my Korean acupuncturist (for something unrelated) and I told him I had just had my gall bladder removed. He gave me this quizzical look and said, "Why you do that?"
Old 29th January 2019
Gear Guru

Wow, Shannon. I hope you recover quickly. I'd suggest being really cautious, and paying attention to what the area feels like before you sing, and then evaluate after just a little singing.

Good luck!
Old 30th January 2019
Lives for gear

Try to find the positive side in everything.

Now you can't sing... is a bad thing, but..
your next album would maybe have some nice instrumentals moments.
(I think that you are composing for what I read in the first post)

Like one of these, just in the middle of the album
Old 30th January 2019
Lives for gear

Just a thought, since a doctor took it out, perhaps they would best be able to answer...
Old 30th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponzi View Post
Just a thought, since a doctor took it out, perhaps they would best be able to answer...
See post #1
Old 30th January 2019
Lives for gear

I like to give my post surgical recovery time at least twice what my Dr recommends. Usually around 12-16 weeks will put me back at 100%. Yes, I am mostly healed before then but usually need the extra time to completely heal, For me, this has applied to surgical repairs to broken bones and torn tendons as well as a ruptured disc. One thing is for sure, though. Your body will tell you very quickly if you got back in the saddle too soon.
Old 30th January 2019
Gear Head

The Tissue takes 6 to 8 weeks to develope a stable scar. It is up to you if you want to take the risk to sing. The probability of developing a hernia is small after two weeks, but the consequences can be high if you do. In a bad case it can be life threatening.
The risk comes down to the pressure inside your belly. If you are coughing the pressure inside your belly is much higher than during singing.

If i was you i would gradually try and listen to your body. If it hurts dont do it.

I work as a conultant traumatologist andemergancy surgeon in germany.

Best wishes for your recovery.
Old 30th January 2019
Gear Guru

Just to make sure -- laparoscopic gallbladder surgery usually involves one tiny incision near your navel and two or three more further up and to your right. Each scar is typically less than an inch long. This is what we're talking about, right?
Old 30th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Just to make sure -- laparoscopic gallbladder surgery usually involves one tiny incision near your navel and two or three more further up and to your right. Each scar is typically less than an inch long. This is what we're talking about, right?
Yes. The incision above the navel is about an inch and a half long. The rest are smaller.
Old 5th February 2019
Lives for gear

I recommend waiting until you get the bill. Peace and healing to you.
Old 20th February 2019
Lives for gear

I started singing a few days ago. No pain at all. Feels really good to get back in the studio and do what I love to do!
Old 20th February 2019
Lives for gear

Awesome!
Chris

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search