The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Hearing loss and music production question Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 1st January 2019
Gear Head

Hearing loss and music production question

Hi, I have a question.

I have hearing loss on the high end of the frequency spectrum.

Basically, it begin to fade after 13khz.

At average volume, my left ear can hear up to 14khz, and my right ear can hear up to 15khz. After that, it is literally silence.
So, while I am not deaf, my hearing is kind of muffled compared to what I was hearing before.

BUT, I decided to work with a sound engineer for mixing my tracks.

However, I have a question.

I am into Trance music, more precisely into classic trance and I design my own supersaw sounds.

A little example to give to you : YouTube

Basically, this kind of music have a big focus on the "supersaw" sound, wich is a waveform from a synth called the JP8000.

As you can hear, there is a lot of high frequencies, and it can be a problem for my hearing loss.

So, when asking if I could make my own sound-design, one guy answered me that basically I am screwed because :

1. As I have hearing loss, ALL (?) the records I would send to the mixing engineer would be of ****ty quality.

2. Sound-design would be impossible for me. "It is already difficult for someone with good hearing, so it would be basically impossible for you to create a good sound".

I don't know if this guy is right, what's your opinion ?

What I think is, while I have bad hearing in the high frequencies, it may not be that impossible :

1. For the supersaw design, I use the classic JP8000. On this synth, there is a tone control as an EQ.

Basically, you have only two knobs : "Bass" and "Treble".

The treble knob is for the high mid to very high frequencies. It means that it will impact the frequencies far lower than the one I don't hear.

If I put it on the max, it will sound harsh on the high mid that I still hear ok, so I will not tend to do it.

It would be the only EQ I would use, because as I said there is no other EQ on this synth, and because any other EQ treatment would be the job of the sound engineer.

2. Let imagine that I made a sound with too much high end (not a ridiculously high amount, but let say the synth sound harsh). The sound engineer should be able to correct easily, right ?

In my opinion, I believe that it would not be that hard, as I would do minimal to no treatment on the sound (except some "Tone EQ"), and because a professionnal sound engineer would do the mixing job.

But two guys said me that it would be a big problem for me...

So, yeah, what do you think of it ?

Please be honest with me !
Old 2nd January 2019
Here for the gear

You are actually screwed.

What you hear is not what THEY hear.

Why do you want absolutely want to work with sounds when you are hearing impaired ?

You can be a great composer, however. If you write good music on sheet, you can collaborate with another producer.
That would be a smarter project.
Old 3rd January 2019
Gear Nut

Make your music.
Old 9th January 2019
Most people can’t hear much above 15k. You’ll be fine.
Old 17th January 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
Most people can’t hear much above 15k. You’ll be fine.
+1

Besides, there's really nothing interesting, musical or even useful going on above 12.5kHz anyway. Despite popular believe.

Pro tip; if you wanna clear a control room filled with annoying teenagers real fast just play a 17kHz sine thru the mains at some level. Tell them you're "calimabrating the system" and it'll just take 15 minutes or so...

T
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search