The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Rounded Shoulders
Old 23rd November 2018
Question Rounded Shoulders

I didn't realise the problem was so bad until I realised I was having breathing issues, and attended a Chiropractor for a preliminary exam. The x-ray made my jaw drop.
I've now attended the chiropractor for about 7 sessions, and although his mantra is " this is going to take time to resolve itself", I'm wondering if it's all snake oil, and i'm simply bleeding money.

Im on the computer a LOT, as Im constantly making music.
I have bad eyesight, but there's nothing wrong with the physical eye itself, so glasses won't correct my eyesight, and my eyes are apparently the wrong shape to have contacts.
So, I habitually lean forward, and slouch, and between my shoulder blades feels very tense to the point where when I stand vertical, I can't breathe right, and it feels pretty serious.

Stopping making music is just not an option, but what can I do to relax my shoulders ? I consciously drop them, but 10 seconds later, they're right back in the same position.

So far I've bought a foam roller, an orthpaedic stool ( which, ironically, is agony on the shins) and a few of those back harness things ( a bit like a parachute, but without the parachute part =P ) .............but the problem is I can't relax my shoulders while Im at the computer. They are always suspended in mid-air. I relax them, and 10 seconds later it's as if I never bothered.

Im keen to hear from anyone who's had similar problems with posture and are now fully recovered. Any advice would be priceless. Cheers.
Old 23rd November 2018
Gear Nut
We have cheap yoga classes available in our area, that and the gym I've found have worked well at sorting out my posture/general physical state. Ultimately if you're spending so much time at the computer you have to do something regularly to counteract the damage that's being done to your posture.
Old 23rd November 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by oboemaroni View Post
We have cheap yoga classes available in our area, that and the gym I've found have worked well at sorting out my posture/general physical state. Ultimately if you're spending so much time at the computer you have to do something regularly to counteract the damage that's being done to your posture.
How bad was your situation before you started yoga ?

I have the flexibility of a brick, and its become apparent through the choropractic investigations that car accidents and bike crashes have done more damage than I had any idea of, and whiplash neck was mentioned.
Reaching my right hand round my back to touch my right shoulder blade is very diminished in reach, compared to my left hand trying to touch my left shoulder blade.
I like the idea of stretching, and the physical component of yoga / pilates / alexander technique..........sorry, let me rephrase that.......I understand the necessity of it rather than it being something i'd necessarily "enjoy", but I'd be completely divorced from the spiritual components of yoga, like meditation / chanting etc....
Old 24th November 2018
Gear Nut
Well my back or neck used to give out about once a year, which would mean a day or two where I couldn't really move very much and was in a lot of discomfort, and then a week or so of getting back to normal, plus I had general backache nearly all the time. It might sound nuts but I actually solved most of this by reading a book by a guy called Dr. Sarno, who has a theory that most chronic pain is related to anxiety and unexpressed emotion, and that in some cases just becoming aware of this can solve the problem. That's a very simplified summary of it but in my case that seems to be what happened, I haven't had a relapse of back pain since reading it (and this was before I started the regular exercise). He does have evidence to back up his claims even if he takes things a bit far in my opinion, claiming that nearly all diseases have this route cause. Anyway, like I say for me it was sort of a miracle but I'd say you have to be open to the idea though otherwise it won't work. I know other people have had success with Alexander Technique and this might be best if you don't want some of the more out there/spiritual aspects of yoga...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search