The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Frequency Therapeutics: Drug Treatment for Hearing Loss
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Frequency Therapeutics: Drug Treatment for Hearing Loss

Recent developments with Frequency Therapeutics: Press Releases - News & Events - Frequency Therapeutics

A cure will be out eventually. Stay hopeful
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

I have been following them since last year, so I Can explain some things about them.

Basically, they are trying to regrow the hair cells that died because of loud noises. What it interesting it that they don't try to repair damaged hair cells (wich die quickly after the noise injury), but instead they are trying to create fully functionnal and brand new hair cells.

It means that even if you had a hearing loss 10 or 20 years ago, it would work.

Warning : it would work for mild, moderate hearing loss (I think it is up to 60dbhl). For severe and profound hearing loss, they are not sure if it would be useful.

This is important, as we all have severe hearing loss: think of the very very high frequencies that you can hear only if the volume is set on high level (most adults struggles to hear above 16khz...)

That was for the "negative part". Don't expect to hear up to 20khz like a baby...But for the moment we can judge of the quality of the treatment.

How does it work ?

Birds and some other animals can regenerate their hearing. Basically, they have what we call "progenitor cells" in their cochlea.
These specials cells are the one that create new hair cells when the ancients died from noise (for exemple).

BUT ! Humans have these cells too ! So why hearing does no regenerate ?

The answer is simple : our progenitor cells are "OFF". They are here, even in a damage cochlea, they are still presents, but they are not working (f*cking lazy cells).

So, all the work of these researchers is to activate these progenitor cells (they call it PCA), by injecting a drug called FX322.
The drug is injected easily by making a litlle hole in the eardrum. The procedure would last about 3 minutes. Then You go home and You wait to get your hearing back.

Some other informations :

in 2015, they had success restoring hearing in mice.
Later, on growing human hair cells ex vivo

In late 2017, they have confirmed That the Phase 1 have been successfull. This phase confirms That the drug is safe and is not rejected.

In august 2018, they started a phase 1.5, wich another safety study on a larger panel (I think), but this time they will be able to see if the drug is restoring hearing on humans.
We Will know it in december 2018 or early 2019.

In early 2019 they will start the phase II, wich is a drug efficiency study (but we may have some early results before).

Some days ago, one of Frequency TX leader said That it they see, in early 2019, That the drug is working, they will ask to th FDA for a fast track procedure.

There are many others firms working on a hearing loss cure, but these are the big men.
We live in an exciting time, and while I am not sure This would work, I am sure than a treament would be found in the next decades.

Thanks for sharing This on Gearslutz, and sorry for my Bad English
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Sorry, I mean for the moment we can't* judge if it is working on human.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepino456 View Post
I have been following them since last year, so I Can explain some things about them.

Basically, they are trying to regrow the hair cells that died because of loud noises. What it interesting it that they don't try to repair damaged hair cells (wich die quickly after the noise injury), but instead they are trying to create fully functionnal and brand new hair cells.

It means that even if you had a hearing loss 10 or 20 years ago, it would work.

Warning : it would work for mild, moderate hearing loss (I think it is up to 60dbhl). For severe and profound hearing loss, they are not sure if it would be useful.

This is important, as we all have severe hearing loss: think of the very very high frequencies that you can hear only if the volume is set on high level (most adults struggles to hear above 16khz...)

That was for the "negative part". Don't expect to hear up to 20khz like a baby...But for the moment we can judge of the quality of the treatment.

How does it work ?

Birds and some other animals can regenerate their hearing. Basically, they have what we call "progenitor cells" in their cochlea.
These specials cells are the one that create new hair cells when the ancients died from noise (for exemple).

BUT ! Humans have these cells too ! So why hearing does no regenerate ?

The answer is simple : our progenitor cells are "OFF". They are here, even in a damage cochlea, they are still presents, but they are not working (f*cking lazy cells).

So, all the work of these researchers is to activate these progenitor cells (they call it PCA), by injecting a drug called FX322.
The drug is injected easily by making a litlle hole in the eardrum. The procedure would last about 3 minutes. Then You go home and You wait to get your hearing back.

Some other informations :

in 2015, they had success restoring hearing in mice.
Later, on growing human hair cells ex vivo

In late 2017, they have confirmed That the Phase 1 have been successfull. This phase confirms That the drug is safe and is not rejected.

In august 2018, they started a phase 1.5, wich another safety study on a larger panel (I think), but this time they will be able to see if the drug is restoring hearing on humans.
We Will know it in december 2018 or early 2019.

In early 2019 they will start the phase II, wich is a drug efficiency study (but we may have some early results before).

Some days ago, one of Frequency TX leader said That it they see, in early 2019, That the drug is working, they will ask to th FDA for a fast track procedure.

There are many others firms working on a hearing loss cure, but these are the big men.
We live in an exciting time, and while I am not sure This would work, I am sure than a treament would be found in the next decades.

Thanks for sharing This on Gearslutz, and sorry for my Bad English
Your english is great!.... Better than my French!.....

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search