The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Ear hygiene & wax removal
Old 31st October 2018
Gear Addict

get down boy! earwax remember not preachings from the book of political correctness.
Old 31st October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroFunk View Post
get down boy! earwax remember not preachings from the book of political correctness.
Blink once for yes, twice for no and three times for I'M TRIGGERED.
Old 31st October 2018
The thread isn’t relevant to the electronic music forum anyway - so apparently anything goes.
Old 31st October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
Doesn’t make you right though....
I don’t want to be right, I want to be politically correct and inclusive.
Simply by giving my white friends a color so they don’t feel excluded in this Poll tested speech. Insinuating they are without color is non inclusive.

But I’ve started using “Tapes of Color” on my MIDI/Audio Snakes.
I was using white only with numbers, but found that using Neon Gaffer in conjunction with white Gaffers tape made a more inclusive routing scheme.

Actually its faster setting up by color matching if the stage lighting is dim.

As a person of color I feel more inclusive now. White only Gaffers Tape reeks of white privilege. Not suppose to be this way for us colored folks.

Funny, my mother says she wasn’t colored, she was born that way.
But I’m grateful for the esteemed educators to decide my rankings in society for me.
I shall be forever grateful.

Also grateful for the excessive ear wax that acts as a natural protector for hearing.
Why pull out the wax?
Saves me from using my vented IEMs.

Cheerz
Old 31st October 2018
Lives for gear

I personally am for the use of non-deragatory language, don’t see the need. It’s not about PC to me, it’s just about good manners and basic respect for all.

But have never in my life heard that about “spazz out”, ever. It sits in the same place as “freak out” in the US. There’s no ties to the disabled or deragatory undertone at all, just means you had a clumsy moment.

Apparently theres a known divide among the two countries there. Nintendo puts “spazz out” in the American Mario Kart but edits it out of the British one for example.
Old 31st October 2018
What is ‘spazz’ derived from?
Spastic - which is a term no longer used globally.
Same thing with the American youth slang ‘********’.
No one uses that any more to describe people with learning difficulties.
I’ve spent years of my life working in America and have many American friends. But it’s time to retire ‘spazz’ and ‘******’ imho.
There’s plenty of common British slang that is inappropriate in 2018 too.
It’s just a case of moving on with language.
Old 31st October 2018
R3tard3d and r3tard, were bleeped out of my post above. So you can see, even Gearslutz draws a line on some words.
Old 31st October 2018
Lives for gear

It’s nowhere near the r-word, which is why it’s not bleeped here. Not even remotely close, not the same ballpark, the same sport, the same thing at all.

It’s not about logic, it’s about cultural norms and meanings. It sits the same place as freak out or weird out in America.

When I’m in Britain I’ll be careful not to use it, never out to offend. But here it’s not offensive at all.
Old 31st October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
Hi chrisso

Sadly, it seems you maybe misunderstanding what someone said...

If someone is liable to have an episode of any kind then it is good advice that was given...

People here are trying to give each other tips if you pardon the punn...

Words also do not have fixed meaning. A point often overlooked by people who are concerned with word use...

You may also be offending quite a few people who are capable of good English if you suggest the forum has some connection to your personal views on word use...

Old 31st October 2018
Lives for gear

"Your honour

The vehicle speeds was not re tard ded due to faulty brakes..."

The word itself is not offensive...

People create an association with the word... Then use it to be offensive to others by suggesting any use of the word is an attack on people who have a condition...

It is clearly abuse and bullying by those that keep it up trying to limit what others say simply because they refuse to admit they misunderstand word use...

It really is that simple...

Oh look I said simple, is that the next word for the bullies to trigger an attack?

Old 31st October 2018
I don't have much to add except that I hope the trend of using the term "autistic" as an insult dies off soon. It seems to be the hip thing to do to use that to describe anyone who's being quirky. My son is autistic and it pains me to think of him being harrassed by people who don't even know what autism is / isn't.

Anyway, back on topic (for the off topic thread) - are the plastic ear loop tools from the pharmacy okay to use or not? All this talk by doctors of not using q-tips has me wondering what the concensus is on those things. Also, can a build-up of ear wax cause ringing in the ears? Or does it only muffle / filter sounds?

PS - I use to tease my wife about watching pimple popping videos, but I have to admit those ear cleaning videos are really satisfying to watch.
Old 31st October 2018
Deleted 3cb98a6
One needs a huge amount a sheit in ones ear to actually hear less because of it.

Construction workers and the likes need pro cleaning occasionally.
The common man however...not really.

Besides: Who doesn.t turn their ears towards the shower head and flood it? Better than a q-tip.

Environmental hazzard to. I think the e.u. wants to bann them because of it.
Old 31st October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pief View Post
One needs a huge amount a sheit in ones ear to actually hear less because of it.

Besides: Who doesn.t turn their ears towards the shower head and flood it? Better than a q-tip.

Banning them would lead to home grown alternatives which may be higher risk...

The nanny state getting wrong...
Old 31st October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeChuck View Post
I don't have much to add except that I hope the trend of using the term "autistic" as an insult dies off soon. It seems to be the hip thing to do to use that to describe anyone who's being quirky. My son is autistic and it pains me to think of him being harrassed by people who don't even know what autism is / isn't.

Anyway, back on topic (for the off topic thread) - are the plastic ear loop tools from the pharmacy okay to use or not? All this talk by doctors of not using q-tips has me wondering what the concensus is on those things. Also, can a build-up of ear wax cause ringing in the ears? Or does it only muffle / filter sounds?

PS - I use to tease my wife about watching pimple popping videos, but I have to admit those ear cleaning videos are really satisfying to watch.
Let's hope all insults die off...

It really comes down to actual intent, it is normally very clear when a person intends to offend...

Old 1st November 2018
I disagree with most of your previous post to me.
On the subject of offense....
The problem is the offensive word or term is usually not seen as offensive by the person using it all the time.
You have to listen to the people who find it offensive.
Old 1st November 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicBern View Post

You may also be offending quite a few people who are capable of good English if you suggest the forum has some connection to your personal views on word use...

It’s not ‘my’ view. I’m respecting the request of people who find it offensive.
The ‘n’ word is generally considered so offensive it is rarely spoken these days.
It’s not ‘my’ view of the word that makes it offensive.
Old 1st November 2018
Gear Addict

STOP! behave yourself! All this "Holier Than Thou" rubbish is very boring...
Old 1st November 2018
You can make a great piece of art, music / painting whatever, really poor your soul into it.... and some idiot will claim "it's offensive" to them... now what ?

Should we ban all art ?

Being offended is a choice, someone with a healthy frame of mind can never be offended.
Old 1st November 2018
Gear Addict
All this "correct language for 2018" is ridiculous. It's just people being offended on behalf of people who might be offended. Can we just accept that this is a public forum and people use different terms, come from different places and are different people?

The day that Gearslutz becomes ruled by people dictating what is "acceptable language" is the beginning of the end.

If somebody wants to say spazz then so be it. Plenty of people say it in passing conversation, people have just grown up with it. I understood what he meant by the term and I'm sure everyone else did so job well done.
Old 1st November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theillusionist View Post
All this "correct language for 2018" is ridiculous. It's just people being offended on behalf of people who might be offended. Can we just accept that this is a public forum and people use different terms, come from different places and are different people?

The day that Gearslutz becomes ruled by people dictating what is "acceptable language" is the beginning of the end.

If somebody wants to say spazz then so be it. Plenty of people say it in passing conversation, people have just grown up with it. I understood what he meant by the term and I'm sure everyone else did so job well done.
Fair comment.....However, I wonder if you would feel the same if you had a child born with spina bifida? Or Cerebral Palsy?

It's all very well that "people have just grown up with it" but have those people been affected by it on a personal level? Probably not, because if they had then they just wouldn't use language like that.

It's not about being overly "PC" or "Correct".....It's about having empathy and respect for other peoples situations.
Old 1st November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:

Beginning of the end of what? It is a forum of words with moderators, so it is infact ruled by people who dictate what is acceptable language.

Once you hear why something is offensive to someone, most decent humans simply refrain from using the offensive term.

What's the big deal?
Old 1st November 2018
Lives for gear

Old 1st November 2018
Deleted c2a9416
Quote:
Originally Posted by pief View Post

I'm more worried that the EU is gonna ban construction workers ....
Old 4th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicBern View Post
Banning them would lead to home grown alternatives which may be higher risk...

The nanny state getting wrong...
"nanny state" is an unacceptable put-down of both nannies, and states.

There's nothing wrong with nannies, where they are culturally and economically acceptable, and needed.

And some states are good, some states are bad. The state of sleep is the one I like being in best, for example.

At least no-one uses paddywagon any more, we can be relieved to say.

Things change. Words change. Big change, and small change.

I always get more earwax after listening at (slightly) louder levels whether through headphones or earphones, for extended periods of time.

So I consider earwax nature's way of building a wall against sonic onslaught.

The point is, it's important to tear down walls, not build them, except in very rare cases.
Old 4th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:

I consider people who use that word in public people who never emotionally evolved past junior high school (or middle school, as it might be called these days). It's a term that is both insulting, and juvenile. No need to defend it.
Old 4th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by realtrance View Post
I consider people who use that word in public people who never emotionally evolved past junior high school (or middle school, as it might be called these days). It's a term that is both insulting, and juvenile. No need to defend it.
Its a rare kind of word that has drastically different meanings in different parts of the world. Its used regularly in the US by people of all ages to mean "clumsy" with zero offense meant or taken by anyone.

Why is spastic so offensive in the UK? : OutOfTheLoop

Al Yankovic on Twitter: "If you thought I didn’t know that “spastic” is considered a highly offensive slur by some people… you’re right, I didn’t. Deeply sorry."
Old 5th November 2018
Lives for gear

What a bunch of nonsense.

Use whatever damn words you please.

Sensitive people are the problem, not the words.

The burden falls entirely and solely upon the offended to learn how to deal with it and move on.
Old 5th November 2018
Lives for gear

What do you mean by "burden"?

People don't make a conscious decision to be upset or insulted by something, they either are or they're not.....it is a natural emotion.

As I said earlier, some people have empathy for others, some don't.....That's part of the human condition.

Seems to me that you find "sensitive people" to be a "problem".......Does that not make you sensitive to them?

Perhaps you should just deal with it and move on?
Old 5th November 2018
Lives for gear

Just for the fun of it, I'm not making fun of you, I like your user name, clump, but my first reaction before getting to your post was, "the earwax has spoken!"

We're done here, unless there's a scientific breakthrough in earwax maintenance on the way, I think?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search