The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Mixing with hearing aids
Old 2nd September 2018
Gear Nut

Mixing with hearing aids

Hi,

I have a slight hearing loss in my left ear (from 8Khz to 12Khz the curve goes down), while my right ear is still perfect, up to 17Khz. (The loss happened suddenly after a 2 hours recording session. I suddenly felt a pressure in the left ear, and the loss never disappeared. Yes, that's weird). I also have a light but permanent tinnitus.

Though my global hearing is still fine, I thus feel an annoying stereo imbalance. This is why I'm considering buying an hearing aid for mix sessions. But are these products appropriate for music? Indeed, their principle is to apply gain on low volumes in order to allow the user to hear again small sounds. But it goes against music dynamic. So: would you use hearing aids to mix - Frankie Wilde style^^ - and if so, do you know any good product? Also, if you are currently mixing with this way, please feel free to share your experience.

Thanks !
Old 4th September 2018
Gear Maniac

My audiology chart probably looks a lot worse than yours - and I have moderate tinnitus - I too am interested if the recent generation of hearing aids would be useful for mixing music... I read something about a new chip with wider frequency range being implemented in some hearing aids...

(I have never used a hearing aid - though I consider my headphones a hearing aid.)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search