The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sonic shock: a single exposure can sometimes permanently damage hearing Plugin Bundles
Old 25th July 2018
Sonic shock: a single exposure can sometimes permanently damage hearing

From International Musician, the Journal of the American Federation of Musicians...

Too Loud, Too Close, Too Long: Musicians Suffer Career Ending Acoustic Shock
Old 27th July 2018
Lives for gear

Have you ever experienced hyperacusis, theblue1?
Old 27th July 2018
Lives for gear
That is very odd and interesting. All of the (mostly various types of rock) musicians I know who suffer from hearing problems have made themselves deaf, or suffer from tinnitus, or both. I’ve never heard of hypersensitivity to loud sounds as a consequence of being exposed to loud sound.
Old 27th July 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Oil Audio View Post
Have you ever experienced hyperacusis, theblue1?
Yes, I'm painfully sensitive to Auto-Tuned vocals.

Just kidding.
Not that it's not true, just that it's not true hyperacusis. (More like hatred-at-first-hearing.)

Jokes aside, I certainly can't tolerate loud environments like I used to.

Oddly, my most frequent problem seems to be oppressive bass -- I hate that baby-elephant-on-your-chest feeling. I get it from passing cars every once in a while. Sometimes when my bucks-up neighbor hires a professional DJ (it's quite rare, not even yearly, but then it's hard to be philosophical with that baby elephant on your chest). And, for that matter, I certainly don't like grinding bright high end into my ears, either. Getting old is... oh, you know.

I DO suffer from tinnitus. For me, it's tremendously aggravated by -- get this -- noisy fans. Air conditioners and other machinery generate/aggravate it, too. (Seems like the only kind I ever end up with is noisy, but I did have this cageless fan. Too bad you could lose a finger if you weren't careful. But it was a lot quieter. But... fingers.) I have a trick that often/even usually gives me some momentary-to-temporary relief. (It involves gently covering/plugging my ears and humming loudly at varying pitches, sliding up and down and holding somewhat on lower octaves of the pitches of the tinnitus whine(s). It seldom goes all the way away but it's often enough reduction to allow me to forget about it.)
Old 27th July 2018
Lives for gear
I thought it was just being an audio engineer that makes me notice and hate the distant thudding in the neighborhood and the icepick high end from the gym’s overhead speakers, neither of which seem to exist for anyone else.
Old 27th July 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman View Post
I thought it was just being an audio engineer that makes me notice and hate the distant thudding in the neighborhood and the icepick high end from the gym’s overhead speakers, neither of which seem to exist for anyone else.
Well, you gotta push the high end to icepick level to get over the all-enveloping mating-ritual-plumage-display bass.
Old 27th July 2018
Lives for gear

I suffer from constant tinnitus as well as minor hyperacusis. My hyperacusis is strange though, I can tolerate loudness so long as it's constant and full frequency. What sets me off are sudden percussive sounds interspersed with otherwise normal volume sounds (like dishes clanking together while doing the dishes, for example).

I am the same with fans and my tinnitus. If I spend a long time in the lab at work (which has 5 clean hood flow benches always running at all times), my T is pretty loud when I exit to the office area.
Old 27th July 2018
Lives for gear
Those of you with tinnitus - it would be wise to get a general physical if you haven't had one recently, as tinnitus can be a symptom of something serious like high blood pressure, or a side-effect of certain medications.
Old 27th July 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Oil Audio View Post
I suffer from constant tinnitus as well as minor hyperacusis. My hyperacusis is strange though, I can tolerate loudness so long as it's constant and full frequency. What sets me off are sudden percussive sounds interspersed with otherwise normal volume sounds (like dishes clanking together while doing the dishes, for example).

I am the same with fans and my tinnitus. If I spend a long time in the lab at work (which has 5 clean hood flow benches always running at all times), my T is pretty loud when I exit to the office area.
Very similar to my own situation. I have to be careful about dishes, too. (And my kitchen walls and sink layout tends to focus such noise right back at the not-so-sweet spot!)

And ditto the continual noise. I think, in terms of life-arc, my tinnitus got really bad in the era I ran a project studio in a spare room in my house. Because it was soundproofed I had to get an A/C to work in the summer. But it wasn't practical to do the A/C remotely and I ended up with a window unit built into an otherwise soundproofed window block. I would never do it that way again, no matter what.

And when I sold my house and rented an apartment, I did everything I could to make sure I'd have cross ventilation in an area with good breezes much of the time without the need for A/C. And when I moved in 14 years ago, almost none of my neighbors had A/Cs and fewer used them. Now, however, during a hot spell, it seems like 4/5ths of the places around here have them and kick them on for the duration.

I honestly believe it's a form of 'contagion' -- and not all psychological. As we sciency types at GS understand, cooling the air inside means an inefficient heat transfer process whose NET product is -- of course -- MORE heat, as well as noise. All the energy pumped into the A/C has to go SOMEWHERE. So every 600W A/C in a neighborhood is just that many extra watts of energy dumped INTO the neighborhood in the form of heat exhaust and, to a lesser degree, noise. Depending on prevailing wind, my neighbor's A/C actually blows heat INTO my window. =/ (That said, they have a new baby. That's how I work it in my head. Takes a village, and all that. I feel bad enough for the kids coming up these days...)

Anyhow, there's a reason environmentalists (not to mention us have-nots) don't like A/C on GP. It means more heat in environments that are already roiling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leddy View Post
Those of you with tinnitus - it would be wise to get a general physical if you haven't had one recently, as tinnitus can be a symptom of something serious like high blood pressure, or a side-effect of certain medications.
Very good point. I was just thinking about the high blood pressure thing yesterday. Just because my fans (and the neighbor's thresher-loud A/C just outside a couple of my windows) aggravate my tinnitus to sometimes extra annoying level doesn't mean that the tinnitus isn't rooted (or aggravated) by high blood pressure, which I suspect I probably have. (Yes, I should see a doc. Particularly since I'm old. Do as I say, not as I do. Or not do, in this case.)
Old 27th July 2018
Gear Nut

I have tinnitus - and it's gotten worse lately... Seems I have become more sensitive to environmental noise too. (Though I was sensitive even before tinnitus)

Quite a lot of this noise could be lessened if things were designed with noise abatement as a priority. Most of the lawn care industry machines, for one thing, are woefully under designed for noise.

I am reminded of the days (I'm over 60) when smoking was allowed everywhere indoors... eventually society caught on to its hazards - It has really made a difference in the health of so many people.

Noise is one of those things where a similar consciousness raising has not happened. In so many machine designs - and building codes too. Leaf blowers anyone? Gas powered Riding lawnmowers with the puniest mufflers: "State of the Art'. Not! C'mon John Deere!

And...I sure wish there would be more research done on a cure for this tinnitus...I read guys chatting on Gearslutz about the subtleties of some A/D - D/A converter vs another and can only imagine hearing those differences.

Last edited by howseth; 27th July 2018 at 09:36 PM.. Reason: grammar
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search