The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tinnitus taboo
Old 21st July 2018
Gear Head

Tinnitus taboo

Hi,

In your opinion, should a composer hide his tinnitus at all cost to clients? Indeed, when a spikes kicks in and hampers you to mix songs at a decent volume or even to work on an arrangement, you have to delay or -worse - decline orders. However, clients may just conclude that you don't have what it takes (speed or creativity), which can be detrimental to your activities.

On the other hand, informing them your delay is only due to tinnitus (and thus not to any artistic weakness) might also be a huge turn off to them. Indeed, who would like to entrust a song to a hearing-impaired composer or sound engineer? I know many famous musicians and professionals actually suffer from this issue, but the difference is that they talked about it once they had already reached the top. The situation would obviously be quite different for a random guy.

What is your stance on this topic? Shall tinnitus remains taboo? Or should it be shamelessly admitted?
Old 21st July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redmont View Post
Hi,

In your opinion, should a composer hide his tinnitus at all cost to clients? Indeed, when a spikes kicks in and hampers you to mix songs at a decent volume or even to work on an arrangement, you have to delay or -worse - decline orders. However, clients may just conclude that you don't have what it takes (speed or creativity), which can be detrimental to your activities.

On the other hand, informing them your delay is only due to tinnitus (and thus not to any artistic weakness) might also be a huge turn off to them. Indeed, who would like to entrust a song to a hearing-impaired composer or sound engineer? I know many famous musicians and professionals actually suffer from this issue, but the difference is that they talked about it once they had already reached the top. The situation would obviously be quite different for a random guy.

What is your stance on this topic? Shall tinnitus remains taboo? Or should it be shamelessly admitted?
tinnitus is not a hearing-impairment
Old 21st July 2018
Gear Guru

I'd say that tinnitus that's severe enough to make you stop working is definitely an impairment.

I don't think I'd disclose it going into a new client relationship. But if you're in the middle of a job and it stops you, well, you have tell your client.

It's like all those NFL players who never felt it necessary to disclose that they were color-blind until that Thursday Night Football telecast where they put one team in all-red uniforms and the other team in all-green.
Old 21st July 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrischoir View Post
tinnitus is not a hearing-impaired
It is in 99% of the cases. First, the whistling hampers you to properly hear the audio spectrum, and second, it is almost always a phantom signal created by your brain in reaction to damaged frequencies. TMJ issue, acoustic neurinom, ototoxic antibiotics or circulation disorder are a minority.

However, I do agree that not all hearing related tinnitus are linked to a factual loss. It can also be a threshold problem (for exemple, you ear can't stand to listen to sound above 90Db at certain frequencies and immediately reacts with a loud & proud siren to alert you).
Old 21st July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
It is in 99% of the cases. First, the whistling hampers you to properly hear the audio spectrum, and second, it is almost always a phantom signal created by your brain in reaction to damaged frequencies. TMJ issue, acoustic neurinom, ototoxic antibiotics or circulation disorder are a minority.

However, I do agree that not all hearing related tinnitus are linked to a factual loss. It can also be a threshold problem (for exemple, you ear can't stand to listen to sound above 90Db at certain frequencies and immediately reacts with a loud & proud siren to alert you).
Only 60% of people with tinnitus have an actual impairment. Impairment as in hearing loss.

Studies have been done and like 90% of humans sitting in an anechoic chamber for 10 minutes will experience tinnitus. Are they all impaired?

See "Heller and Bergman" in this article

http://www.tinnituspractitioners.com..._tinnitus.aspx
Old 22nd July 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrischoir View Post
Studies have been done and like 90% of humans sitting in an anechoic chamber for 10 minutes will experience tinnitus. Are they all impaired?
Ok, but they do not experience a nasty whistling like some of us do each hour of the day. I'm here talking about pro, semi or aspiring pro musicians who have to deal with real tinnitus - whether it involves hearing loss or not - and how do they manage their workflow with this issue?

I'm interested in reading testimonies. C'mon people, this is a forum with pseudos, share your stories or opinions about it !
Old 22nd July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ok, but they do not experience a nasty whistling like some of us do each hour of the day. I'm here talking about pro, semi or aspiring pro musicians who have to deal with real tinnitus - whether it involves hearing loss or not - and how do they manage their workflow with this issue?

I'm interested in reading testimonies. C'mon people, this is a forum with pseudos, share your stories or opinions about it !
I have severe tinnitus and partial hearing loss in both ears, most likely from a lifetime in construction.

I have learned to work around most of this...or think I have. It's not ideal, but since I realize I have serious limitations at certain frequencies, I sometimes rely on visuals. Even more, I rely on advice from a musically competent person with good ears when I get close to the final mix.

I'm also old enough that I'm sure most people I deal with would expect me to have less than perfect hearing, and I don't mind commenting on it...but I also don't over-emphasize it either.

Yes, the whistling, ringing, crickets and general constant noise coupled with hearing loss is tough but we humans are able to adapt remarkably well to so many circumstances. Were I you, I would not feel obligated to bring up tinnitus unless there was a pressing reason.

Good Luck!
Old 22nd July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
and how do they manage their workflow with this issue?
they try to ignore it

worst case some people get "hybrid" cochlear implants

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search