The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Earplugs: is there 3 to 6 dB of reduction earplugs out there?
Old 31st May 2018
Here for the gear

Question Earplugs: is there 3 to 6 dB of reduction earplugs out there?

Hi,
I was wondering if earplugs that only attenuate something like 3 to 6 dB exist.
Thanks.
Old 31st May 2018
I think that really depends on which frequencies are being blocked by the plug. Here's a link to various manufacturer's attenuation charts.

https://www.google.com/search?q=earp...odGGQp5NM-PKM:
Old 1st June 2018
Here for the gear

I'm not expecting much linearity from som such earplugs - would be happy with reduction from 1 kHz and above.
Old 1st June 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by subwerker View Post
I'm not expecting much linearity from som such earplugs - would be happy with reduction from 1 kHz and above.
I don't have a specific brand I can recommend, but do know that a triple flange plugs offer a high level of hearing protection.

This type is what I use when mowing the lawn. They are more for industry type work.

Old 7th June 2018
Gear Head

If you get custom molded plugs from an audiologist you can use inserts of varying attenuation. I’ve been wearing the same set for 25 years. The attenuators are interchangeable and they have different values.

They cut freqs fairly evenly so good for live use.

I run -20db attenuators on amplified stages.

I’ve seen attenuators available at -9db.

The other benefit of the molded fit is you can wear them forever without even knowing they are there.
Old 11th June 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricViolin View Post
If you get custom molded plugs from an audiologist you can use inserts of varying attenuation.
Actually I just bought a pair of custom molded earplugs - waiting for them right now, so haven't tried them yet. Looking forward to hear the 9 dB filter.

I've come to the conclusion that if I want less attenuation, cotton in the ears is what works best.
Old 14th June 2018
Here for the gear

I tried Alpine. They come with 2 filters. They were ok. Useable. I don't know what the actual db is but they seemed like one set was 10 and one was 20. They worked better than the throw aways but the design seemed a little flimsy. Better than foam though.
I think they were around $20 on amazon
Old 14th June 2018
Gear Maniac

When I got my custom molded one's I had the option of -5, -15 and -25
Old 23rd June 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriboroMusic View Post
I tried Alpine. They come with 2 filters. They were ok. Useable. I don't know what the actual db is but they seemed like one set was 10 and one was 20. They worked better than the throw aways but the design seemed a little flimsy. Better than foam though.
I think they were around $20 on amazon
For a moment there I thought you were talking about using the filters from Alpine menthol cigarettes....would probably give around 10-15dB of attentuation, but might skew the response somewhat ? <Deleted by Mod>

Last edited by studer58; 24th June 2018 at 01:59 PM.. Reason: Off topic link.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search