The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Ear Tubes
Old 11th April 2018
Gear Nut

Unhappy Ear Tubes

Anyone have ear tubes put in as an adult and want to reassure me? Had both sides done today to relieve eustachian pressure. Now my hearing is a bit boxy, like an EQ is on with a 300-500hz push, and it sounds rolled off under that. Anyone’s experience match this? How long did it take to adjust?

Thanks
Old 11th April 2018
Gear Head

Very curious to hear others' experiences with this, as I may have to have this procedure done in the coming months.

I've heard others say a similar thing to the OP, but the big question obviously is how long does it take to return to normal. If the OP could keep this thread posted on their experience over the next few months, I think it could be a great resource.

Cheers
Old 11th April 2018
Gear Nut

I'll make it a point to update here. All I've found in my 'net searches are threads on various forums where the person never came back with a followup on what happened to them.
Old 11th April 2018
You may want to also check out some YouTube videos on the subject.

Old 12th April 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloansimpson View Post
I'll make it a point to update here. All I've found in my 'net searches are threads on various forums where the person never came back with a followup on what happened to them.
That would be much appreciated. Good luck with the recovery.
Old 13th April 2018
Gear Nut

I went to my ENT’s office for a followup today and spoke with a Nurse Practitioner. She said she can’t guarantee it but feels confident this will resolve over a couple weeks as I heal from the surgery. If not we can look at removing the tubes. Will post again when I know more.
Old 13th April 2018
Lives for gear

Im allergic to alcohol. Iv had this issue when I started "Johnny 7 pack" every night.
Mucus fills up my ears from the inside.
First round of steroid injection my ears cleared up dramatically.
Took a round of antibiotics and kept drinking like it was my part time job.
The mucus drains into my ear tubes, gets infected.
Feels like Im on an airplane on the right side at all times.

Histamine intolerance

Histamine is a chemical that occurs naturally in your body. It’s also found in many foods and beverages, especially fermented products. For example, aged cheese, smoked meats, sauerkraut, wine, and beer tend to be high in histamines.

Normally your body produces an enzyme called diamine oxidase (DAO) to break histamine down. If your body doesn’t produce enough active DAO, you may react to histamine in foods and beverages.

The symptoms of histamine intolerance are similar to an allergic reaction. For example, potential symptoms include red and itchy skin, nasal congestion, shortness of breath, abdominal pain, and diarrhea.

Red wine tends to have higher levels of histamine than white wine or beer.
Sulfites intolerance

Some people have an intolerance or sensitivity to sulfites. These compounds are often added to beer and wine to limit the growth of yeast and act as a preservative. Common sulfites include potassium bisulfite or potassium metabisulfite. Sulfur dioxide is another closely related chemical that can trigger reactions in some people.

Some people experience allergy-like reactions to sulfites. Some types of sulfites might also trigger an asthmatic attack if you have asthma.

White wine tends to contain higher levels of sulfites than red wine and beer.
Old 15th April 2018
Gear Nut

Today is the fifth day after surgery and so far low-mids seem to be returning a bit in the left ear.
Old 16th April 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Today is the fifth day after surgery and so far low-mids seem to be returning a bit in the left ear.
Glad to hear. And thanks for the updates - keep em coming!
Old 23rd April 2018
Gear Nut

At two weeks post-surgery, the bass response seems to have fully returned to the right ear. The left ear however is mostly useless, it feels like it has an infection though the doctor says there is none. I can't effectively hear from it, and tomorrow I'm having the tubes removed. I'll post back about what happens after they are out again.
Old 23rd April 2018
Best wishes for a speedy recovery.
Old 24th April 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
At two weeks post-surgery, the bass response seems to have fully returned to the right ear. The left ear however is mostly useless, it feels like it has an infection though the doctor says there is none. I can't effectively hear from it, and tomorrow I'm having the tubes removed. I'll post back about what happens after they are out again.
Interesting. Glad to hear your right ear is returning to normal. Are you having them removed because of the hearing difficulties?
Old 24th April 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeckledOwl View Post
Interesting. Glad to hear your right ear is returning to normal. Are you having them removed because of the hearing difficulties?
In part because of the lack of bass and in part because one ear seems to be having drainage issues after the tubes were installed.
Old 29th April 2018
Gear Nut

I had the tubes removed Tuesday. By today I'd say the bass is fully restored in one ear, and mostly so in the other, though it's hard to tell from excess ringing in that one. The doctor predicts that the ringing will continue to subside.
Old 29th April 2018
Gear Head

Great to hear. Sounds like you're well on your way to a full recovery.

Quote:
I had the tubes removed Tuesday. By today I'd say the bass is fully restored in one ear, and mostly so in the other, though it's hard to tell from excess ringing in that one. The doctor predicts that the ringing will continue to subside.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search