The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Tinnitus-related spam
Old 16th January 2018
Gear Guru

Tinnitus-related spam

Have any of y'all experienced a recent uptick in tinnitus-related spam? I sure have. A big one.
Old 16th January 2018
Lives for gear

Yes. Second only to Shark Tank as a subject.
Old 16th January 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by vze26m98 View Post
Yes. Second only to Shark Tank as a subject.
I've gotten a lot more Shark Tank related spam, too. But the tinnitus spam has me wondering -- besides GS, who else in the "loudness business" has my email? A few music retailers, Mix and Tape Op magazines, the LA rental places... that's pretty much it.

Shark Tank spam is one thing. But tinnitus spam seems to me to be a lot more targeted. Someone on a very short list is selling our email addresses and I'm not happy about it.
Old 16th January 2018
Lives for gear

I almost read it as trichinosis-related spam.

Could have triggered another case of massive mass hysteria in Hawaii.
Old 16th January 2018
It's Big Brother.
The problem I have is that these targetted ads are for things I want or didn't know I needed.
Old 16th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
But tinnitus spam seems to me to be a lot more targeted.
100% of the spam I get demonstrates no familiarity with my personal life. The fact that I get tinnitus spam when I have the problem doesn't convince me that those spammers know anything about me.
Old 17th January 2018
Lives for gear
I went to an ENT a few months back and started getting hearing aid mailings. Thanks doc. My father lived here the last five 5 years of his life (Parkinson's) and I've been getting burial and cremation mailers ever since. He passed in 2012. Again, I can only assume that it was passed on by medical institutions.

On the other hand, I'm getting sh'loads of spam cellphone calls lately. More than legit calls. Medical open enrollment and solar power. Read a news article on how they're getting around the "Do not call" list and just don't care.
Old 18th January 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewire View Post
I went to an ENT a few months back and started getting hearing aid mailings.
Your medical history is supposed to be private. So much for that concept.

Quote:
Thanks doc. My father lived here the last five 5 years of his life (Parkinson's) and I've been getting burial and cremation mailers ever since. He passed in 2012. Again, I can only assume that it was passed on by medical institutions.
And now your mailman is pretty sure you're both deaf and dying. If you wonder why he always yells, that's why.

Quote:
On the other hand, I'm getting sh'loads of spam cellphone calls lately. More than legit calls. Medical open enrollment and solar power. Read a news article on how they're getting around the "Do not call" list and just don't care.
For 10 years I had an old business phone number forwarded to my new one because it was in a different area code. The spam and robo calls on that line got so heavy, with every forwarded call billed as an outgoing call, that I had to shut it down.
Old 21st January 2018
Gear Addict

I've gotten Tinnitus spam in my mailbox recently as well. I had been googling about ear damage as I've had an episode of Hyperacusis (I assume. Never went to see a doctor.) where my right ear was very sensitive for a while.

I supposed its the same as when you search for refrigerators and then begin seeing refrigerator ads on every website.

It's a bit disturbing how much our online activity is tracked without our explicit consent.
Old 21st January 2018
Lives for gear
I log in to my PCs with a local account and run CCleaner which shuts down the computer when it's finished. I'm never logged in to my Microsoft or Google account. I've noticed since Win 10 that's insufficient now. Still get ads from sites I visited in the past. Amazon, also, knows it's me when I go to their site. I suspect Win 10 has incorporated some other ID process and it's kept elsewhere or my hardware itself is the ID method. Tried to Google it with no luck. Don't know and I don't like it. But...what can you do?
Old 21st January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
I've gotten a lot more Shark Tank related spam, too. But the tinnitus spam has me wondering -- besides GS, who else in the "loudness business" has my email? A few music retailers, Mix and Tape Op magazines, the LA rental places... that's pretty much it.

Shark Tank spam is one thing. But tinnitus spam seems to me to be a lot more targeted. Someone on a very short list is selling our email addresses and I'm not happy about it.
Keep in mind that email servers run by some of the tech giants scan your email contents in the same way they do so with your web searches in an attempt to determine what spam to bury you with...
Old 21st January 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonkr
It's a bit disturbing how much our online activity is tracked without our explicit consent.
Agreed. Even more disturbing when you get targeted email that's not due to tracking.
Old 22nd August 2018
Here for the gear

If you've been searching things on the web for things related to depression and SSRI medication: then you're a target. Its becoming increasingly evident that Tinnitus is a known but unofficial side effect where depressive communities are raising concerns about the noise they are experiencing with Anti Depressants. And trust me, I know first hand about tinnitus, and it goes away each time I come off my anti-depressants. It changes the brain blood barrier and other things which probably has an affect on the inner ear organs.

Therefore a market has been identified by spammers economising on people taking the medication and researching it online for their own needs.

Side effects and symptoms raise public concerns creating patterns of human online search behaviour and they are economising on your very own anxiety from symptoms they probably created in the first place.

It could also be a symptom of Serotonin syndrome. Typically stemming from psychology problems overpowering psychiatric medical help because of an overbearing SSRI dosage for the brain.

I cannot advise or comment If you are experiencing tinnitus as a symptom caused from something else.
Old 22nd August 2018
Here for the gear

Theory why SSRI causes Tinnitus

Im no doctor but I suspect that my SSRI's have expanded or changed form in certain areas of my brain which is pushing against my inner ear region. So then sound changes as its path has been impacted.

Much like breathing is not as loud as a whistle. Air forced through a smaller inlet causes high pressure build up and more noise. So if my brain is pushing my ear passages and inner ear organs then the sound is different as it travels through more narrow passages. I don't think this is good on eardrums at all and probably leading many to ultimate deafness. A spammer's paradise for tinnitus solutions and speculative business as I had researched anti depressants a few years ago, I've therefore been targeted, so lame...

Last edited by Colubris; 22nd August 2018 at 11:38 PM.. Reason: Addition, spelling and grammar error
Old 23rd August 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewire View Post
I log in to my PCs with a local account and run CCleaner which shuts down the computer when it's finished. I'm never logged in to my Microsoft or Google account. I've noticed since Win 10 that's insufficient now. Still get ads from sites I visited in the past. Amazon, also, knows it's me when I go to their site. I suspect Win 10 has incorporated some other ID process and it's kept elsewhere or my hardware itself is the ID method. Tried to Google it with no luck. Don't know and I don't like it. But...what can you do?
Probably tracking your IP address. Browsing through a proxy would probably be the only somewhat practical way around it.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search