The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
New Treatment for Tinnitus: Lidocaine IV
Old 13th January 2018
New Treatment for Tinnitus: Lidocaine IV

I just read about a 70% to 80% recovery rate for Tinnitus treatment using Lidocaine IV injections. I know a lot of Gearslutz suffer from this condition and some relief would really be welcome. Has anybody here had the Lidocaine treatments? If so, how effective was this procedure?
Old 13th January 2018
Gear Maniac

I don't know if things have changed, but this was the situation 35 years ago:

Treatment of tinnitus with intravenous lidocaine: a double-blind randomized trial. - PubMed - NCBI
Old 13th January 2018
Lidocaine - Wikipedia

No thanks.

I said NO THANKS.
Old 14th January 2018
Lives for gear

You must regard intravenous lidocaine as the practice of medicine and, as such, it should be prescribed and directly supervised by a qualified physician. We use iv lidocaine everyday in my practice, but in no way does my practice concern tinnitus or tinnitus treatment.

I'd suggest finding a Board Certified Neurologist with an interest in tinnitus for your consultation, where consultation is broader in scope than simply lidocaine as a therapy. The ideal would probably be a neurologist in a University based practice.

PM me if I can help sort out where to begin the search. To be clear, I have nearly no knowledge of tinnitus or its treatment, although I am an MD.

John Caldwell
Old 14th January 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Coates View Post
I just read about a 70% to 80% recovery rate for Tinnitus treatment using Lidocaine IV injections.
Link?
Old 14th January 2018
Lives for gear

My ENT Dr suggested Vitamin B with Lipoflavenoid...just had a hearing test done two weeks ago and that was his recommendation. He said you can get it anywhere vitamins are sold...grocery,pharmacy, etc.
Old 14th January 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbvoxx View Post
My ENT Dr suggested Vitamin B with Lipoflavenoid...just had a hearing test done two weeks ago and that was his recommendation. He said you can get it anywhere vitamins are sold...grocery,pharmacy, etc.
Already take that. It does squat for Tinnitus
Old 15th January 2018
Deleted b5658d5
I have severe tinnitus and has gotten worse the past year. I notice any intake of very salty foods (chips for example) almost instantly makes it worse. I’ve read that high sodium can affect tinnitus. I’m going to start cutting back in salt intake.
Old 15th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted b5658d5 View Post
I have severe tinnitus and has gotten worse the past year. I notice any intake of very salty foods (chips for example) almost instantly makes it worse. I’ve read that high sodium can affect tinnitus. I’m going to start cutting back in salt intake.
That's a not-uncommon trigger for folks with Meniere's disease as well so wouldn't surprise me.

Take this with a grain of salt () but supposedly with the inner-ear it's more the change in salt levels, vs. necessarily high or low sodium. For example, eliminating salt or drastically reducing it won't necessarily make it better, it's more about regulating, and keeping it consistent and steady and avoiding for example a sudden salt rush.

Anything with too much soy sauce or similar very-heavy-sodium food triggers a relative of mine into bad headaches and vertigo-like symptoms that are related to her chronic inner-ear troubles. Makes her feel like she's doing backflips underwater.
Old 15th January 2018
Gear Guru
I bet the salt thing has to do with blood pressure.... Is there any sound pressure meter you can use with headphones to make sure you're in a safe ballpark? I've heard holding out headphones at arms length and not hearing sound was good as a rule of thumb......Wondering if there's a easy thing that at least puts you in an OK place!
Old 15th January 2018
Lives for gear

Lidocaine will suppress nerve activity, so if injected intratympanically, or injected intravenously it will silence Tinnitus. But only until the drug wears off.

Sadly, and ironically, Lidocaine is also ototoxic.
Old 15th January 2018
Gear Guru
Hey if you want the sensation of sticking a needle in your ear, I'll send you my latest demo......!
Old 15th January 2018
Lives for gear

This works for me. I had a crown put in a couple years ago. Within 2 minutes of the Dentist shooting me up, my tinnitus went away on the one side . I didn't really think too much about it other than" "wow... My tinnitus is calm today"
A year later I had a filling done... He shot me up on the same side.. The tinnitus went away again... no coincidence

Exotic Micropumps and Gels Offer Hope for Hearing Disorders - Scientific American
Old 16th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardis View Post
I bet the salt thing has to do with blood pressure....
Not quite, it's more about... h/o... I dug up my reference on this:

Quote:
"The fluid-filled hearing and balance structures of the inner ear normally function independent of the body's overall fluid/blood system. In a normal inner ear, the fluid is maintained at a constant volume and contains specific concentrations of sodium, potassium, chloride and other electrolytes. This fluid bathes the sensory cells of the inner ear and allows them to function normally.

With injury or degeneration of the inner ear structures, independent control is lost, and the volume and concentration of the inner ear fluid fluctuates with changes in the body's fluid/blood. This fluctuation causes the symptoms of hydrops--pressure or fullness in the ears, tinnitus (ringing in the ears), hearing loss, dizziness and imbalance.

Note that it is not the overall level of sodium that is important, but whether or not it fluctuates that is important in avoiding attacks of dizziness."
This is in a section on Meniere's disease specifically: Meniere's Disease

And the "hydrops diet" which they sort of end up suggesting as one possibility for folks with some of these inner-ear pressure conditions: Hydrops Diet for Meniere's disease

Here's their section on tinnitus specifically: Tinnitus
Old 20th January 2018
Lives for gear

Sadly, good Scotch whisky seems to make it worse
Old 1st February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardis View Post
Hey if you want the sensation of sticking a needle in your ear, I'll send you my latest demo......!

Old 1st February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbvoxx View Post
Sadly, good Scotch whisky seems to make it worse
That and age.

@ thr ead, well was hoping that it was something to look into but unfortunately no. Mine is getting a LOT worse, but I'm 53 next month.
Old 2nd February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by REGGAE View Post
Link?
This is the internet; you don't need links. Just say I heard this or such and such worked for me and bam, instant fact.
Old 22nd April 2019
Here for the gear

this is the study to which I think the OP referred: Lidocaine Relieves Tinnitus Sufferers | Newswise: News for Journalists

Was a combination of IV and perfusion, given carefully, slowly, on 3 consecutive days, which seems to be the key. Too much, too fast is bad... the effect isn't strong enough, and is limited by negative effects from the lidocaine. This slow and steady approach seems to have more promise. The effect, of course is temporary. This has lead to the development of microfluidics / micropumps / matrix and gel materials the slowly release the lidocaine as needed : Exotic Micropumps and Gels Offer Hope for Hearing Disorders - Scientific American

Nothing yet on the market though, and probably not until 2025 - 2030.

There is a possibility with it being a nerve condition that properly treated this way it can interrupt with a feedback mechanism, the interruption preventing the tinnitus from making itself worse ... a long enough alleviation might be the key to long term treatment, allowing the nervous system to repair itself. Now I'm just making stuff up.
Old 23rd April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Oil Audio View Post
Lidocaine will suppress nerve activity, so if injected intratympanically, or injected intravenously it will silence Tinnitus. But only until the drug wears off.

Sadly, and ironically, Lidocaine is also ototoxic.
Ototoxic is a great name for an 80s LA ska punk band
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search