The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Emergency rooms....sucking suck
Old 14th December 2017
Lives for gear

Emergency rooms....sucking suck

So, my mom called tonight with my dad having an emergency need with his mouth bleeding (profusely)

Went over, picked him up, took the emergency room where he was treated decently)

Everything is fine now, but..........

They said they'd check back on him at one point at 10-15 minutes. That was closer to an hour. And, once "discharged" he was told someone would notify (which didn't happen, that would be me)

Again, happy things worked out ok, but FFS. Why say something that isn't true (he's 85 FFS.) Scary, but worked out.

Place your horror stories here..........(or good ones)
Old 14th December 2017
Lives for gear

Sorry about your dad - hope he's ok

I have had nothing but success with ERs. Like the time I cracked four ribs and punctured my lung. Off the amb, they couldn't get me in there fast enough.

I guess it depends on where you are and the staff on that particular day. Remember - at the end of the day, it's just a business.

Cheers.
Old 14th December 2017
Gear Guru

A few years ago, I walked into the ER and said: "I think I am having chest pai..."

I did not even finish the sentence. They had me inside, on a gurney, hooked up to an EKG in a flash. Even though it was 3 in the morning, there were quite a lot of people in the waiting room 'ahead' of me, but that's not how the ER works! There are wildly different levels of "emergency" and IMO, you should thank your lucky stars if your emergency is 'non-emergent' enough that you can be left there for 45 minutes while they attend to someone else.

A lot of people get angry at 'hospitals' and 'doctors', simply because they can't get angry at a germ or a disease or an accident. What happened to your father sucks for sure. But the suckiest part is the bleeding, not the ER. And sure they ought to follow up, but even with my clogged arteries, I learned fast that nobody cares about my health as much as me. If you are not your own most vocal advocate, who will be?

If they don't follow up, you follow up. You can't go home and do nothing about your own health thinking it's the Hospital's responsibility to give a damn about you.
Old 14th December 2017
Lives for gear

I heard that, and that's what I did.

I mean, overall it was a good experience but I was stressed having to go through it and had the experience fresh.

He's fine, but he doesn't follow doctor/dentist orders
Old 14th December 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by toowrongfoo View Post
He's fine

that's the main thing

Quote:
but he doesn't follow doctor/dentist orders
my grandmother was like that
she was "lucky" she broke her hip and finally had to go to the hospital. First time she had been to a doctor in 50 years. They put a pin in her hip, but while she was there, they diagnosed a serious thyroid problem. They put her on some meds, probably added ten years to her life.
Old 14th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
A lot of people get angry at 'hospitals' and 'doctors', simply because they can't get angry at a germ or a disease or an accident.
Bingo!

Not saying that's the case here w/the OP, but that def happens.
Old 14th December 2017
Lives for gear

I just didn't like the lack of communication. I mean once they found where he was bleeding (profusely in his mouth) it was a simple matter of applying pressure. He wouldn't have found where it was if it wasn't for going there, so believe me I'm happy with what they did.

But it wasn't just me (I have a tendency to care too much) there was an elderly woman who was ALSO told someone would let them know when the discharge was done and they waited an hour to figure out all they had to do was go to discharge. It happened to someone else too. If they are not going to do what they say, they're wasting peoples time, know what I'm saying?

If it was just me I'd have just blown it off.
Old 14th December 2017
Lives for gear

It probably depends on how many doctors/aides are available and the current patient load sometimes. I had a incident last year and though there seemed to be several people in there, they dealt with my problem very quickly and had me back on the street in no time. My wife on the other hand had a stay for a few days last year and in the regular ward, it was like a mental institution instead of a surgical recovery ward. Some of the nurses were very good, some shouldn't have been in that profession and one was removed during my wife's stay. Luckily for her patients. Hope your dad is o.k.
L.
Old 14th December 2017
Sometimes you just need to be a little more proactive to get timely attention.

When I was a teenager, I accidentally sliced the base of my right thumb on a glass bottle. Some friends and I were shooting whiskey bottles filled with water with our BB rifles. I slipped on a mossy rock while stepping across a creek to set up the target. The bottle smashed against a large boulder and sliced my hand. It bled profusely. My friend's mother wrapped it with a dish towel and drove me to the E.R.

I sat in the waiting room for hours waiting to be seen. When they took my vitals, the nurse removed the towel and blood shot about 10 feet across the room and spattered on the wall. I was taken to a room immediately. Not only had I sustained a severed artery, but had also partially severed a tendon. The neurosurgeon on call was called in and re-attached the artery and sowed up the tendon.

Had I been more vocal about my injury, I would have received more timely care.

Lessons learned!
Old 15th December 2017
Lives for gear

But remember, you can also become a pest. It's a fine line, unfortunately, I believe I will become an expert on the subject soon enough (they are 85 and 86, relatively good health, but fading if you know what I mean)
Old 15th December 2017
Lives for gear

Now, I wasn't smart enough to put this here, where did I put it at first?
Old 15th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
They said they'd check back on him at one point at 10-15 minutes. That was closer to an hour. And, once "discharged" he was told someone would notify (which didn't happen, that would be me)

Again, happy things worked out ok, but FFS. Why say something that isn't true (he's 85 FFS.) Scary, but worked out.

Place your horror stories here..........(or good ones)
I assumed this got moved to the MOAN ZONE where this thread belongs.

I have some personal experience with them, and my mother had to go to emergency two nights ago, and is still in hospital now.

The thing is about Emergency Rooms is things happen...it's not a case where the staff are just sitting around drinking coffee while time is ticking by, there's always another person coming in with something more serious...I've been there when police came in with a gunshot victim (never found out if it was a perp or a fellow officer).

There's a triage system in place...assumed your father was taken care of quickly because he was bleeding, but once he stopped bleeding he was out of danger, but was always under general observation.

A personal story, I was taken to emergency with a broken drill bit in my hand and I was sitting next to a father who's daughter was in emergency with a broken wrist complaining of waiting 3 hours to be treated after having x-rays done (I personally had an x-ray done on MY wrist on a Friday, and didn't get the cast until Monday as it was only a hairline fracture).

No offense, but those who complain about emergency wait times are those who never thought about the other side, the stress of the job yet the emergency staff do it night after night dealing with people like you who can only complain instead of thanking them!

Personally I've been admitted with:
- drill hole in my hand
- pain in the chest as if I was kicked by a horse (turned out to be a chest infection)
- and lastly an infection in my hand which made it balloon 2-3 times the size and needed to be hospitalized for a week, more weeks of recovery at home, and then months of therapy to get use of my hand back.

And I thanked the doctors and other staff every time.
Old 15th December 2017
Lives for gear

I was told moan zone was for musical moaning only. I think maybe just "gear free?"

Or maybe I was that smart. First time for everything
Old 16th December 2017
Typically a moaning thread would go there, but this one was moved here since it falls under the category of Health.
Old 16th December 2017
Gear Guru

The "health" subforum is kind of underpopulated - so the mods are throwing it a bone.
Old 16th December 2017
Lives for gear

Well, whatever, I'm new. I'm navigating best I can
Old 30th December 2017
Lives for gear

I'm going to set up a rations pack everyday now

Poor dad, he's fading fast. He's a tough ol' coot but today was him going through TEST AFTER TEST just to find out it's nothing that can't be dealt with until next week (no need to keep him over the weekend, the cardiologists are off on weekends)

Welp, that's kinda what I thought, once it starts it's like when your socks start to have holes, there's no stopping the domino's from falling.....

Now the ER seems overwhelmingly familiar and :cry:
Old 8th January 2018
Lives for gear

Another ER day, and a cath later he needs a triple-bypass.

Oh my. Knew the day would come. The good news is that I'm now know the ER/MRI/CARDIO area/parking and proceedures

(not my hospital)

So the OP is kinda a joke compared to this.
Old 8th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Another ER day, and a cath later he needs a triple-bypass.

Oh my. Knew the day would come. The good news is that I'm now know the ER/MRI/CARDIO area/parking and proceedures

(not my hospital)

So the OP is kinda a joke compared to this.
Sorry Man. I just read your thread and can relate. I went through all this for a few years with my dear parents who sadly passed away recently just 12 days apart at 88 and 90.

I've had my own nightmare with the ER, doctors, hospitals and 2 surgeries (one botched) beginning December 17th. With a few exceptions, the ER staff, doctors, surgeon and other "healthcare professionals" were disturbingly callous, unprofessional and uncaring.

I'm really sorry about the ride you're starting, for you and your parents. I hope things go well, my friend. Be proactive.
Old 10th January 2018
Lives for gear

Thanks. The biggest problem is that the "care" provider, even though big in this area, doesn't do that. So we're waiting to hear from another hospital (which again, I don't understand) and who knows when it will be provided. (they said a day or two, well, since I posted this it's been TWO days, so......)

The weirdest thing is that he doesn't have chest pains at all. But he gets tired, BUT he's fu...ing 85 years old. I'd expect to get tired easier........

I don't get it.
Old 10th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks. The biggest problem is that the "care" provider, even though big in this area, doesn't do that. So we're waiting to hear from another hospital (which again, I don't understand) and who knows when it will be provided. (they said a day or two, well, since I posted this it's been TWO days, so......)

The weirdest thing is that he doesn't have chest pains at all. But he gets tired, BUT he's fu...ing 85 years old. I'd expect to get tired easier........

I don't get it.
You're welcome, Pal. What you and your Dad are into is all very frustrating I know. The healthcare system is huge and bogged down, and the patients/families suffer because of it.

I suggest you continue being there for your Dad all you can...and a little more. You will have fewer regrets later on if you go the extra mile. Hang in there, my friend.
Old 11th January 2018
Lives for gear

They called him today, and it's the 19th before there is even a consultation. So who knows when the surgery will be. He a cantankerous one, he's saying "if it's not such and such then I won't do it" which is cool, except I'm pretty sure that bypass surgery is relatively safe these days.

Well, we'll know Friday next week what the odds are..........

He just doesn't seem like he needs a TRIPLE BYPASS, I thought they'd do a ****ing stint
Old 11th January 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxwaves View Post
Sorry Man. I just read your thread and can relate. I went through all this for a few years with my dear parents who sadly passed away recently just 12 days apart at 88 and 90.

I've had my own nightmare with the ER, doctors, hospitals and 2 surgeries (one botched) beginning December 17th. With a few exceptions, the ER staff, doctors, surgeon and other "healthcare professionals" were disturbingly callous, unprofessional and uncaring.

I'm really sorry about the ride you're starting, for you and your parents. I hope things go well, my friend. Be proactive.
There's far too many half-assing medical professionals these days. The field's been run into the ground with numerous paradegrees.

My mother nearly died in the hospital a few months back. The staff got uppity at any request she had. It was obscenely unprofessional. And having been seen by more than a few clueless doctors in my time, I wasn't surprised. They prescribed a less than effective antibiotic and wanted her to stay a full week (which seems prudent, but it's beyond unaffordable in this day and age, not to mention extra days from their lackluster treatment wouldn't have helped).

Then they tried to tried to screw her for $1000 over on insurance. Unbelievable.

I try not to hold prejudices but I've run into so many sloppy docs that I find my faith more than a little shaken. I've heard "they're human too" one too many times. You don't have to be proactive, you have to be flat out rude.
Old 12th January 2018
Lives for gear

Almost. But in my case (as is the same in these damn forums) I'll just be kicked out.

I'm VERY proactive though. I'm constantly calling and stopping by now. Making sure I'm a pest and when he did the cath Monday, I was in his words "a soldier" and boy, don't you forget it. I wanna know ALL the details. I mean, his health is fading faster than it should, now we know why.

BTW, when it wasn't the ER, they were far more professional. Seems to me that the ER is a kinda no-mans-land where it's a free for all.
Old 20th January 2018
Lives for gear

According to the doctor, he's actually recommending not to do the surgery. Recovery is up to 6 months. A stint is a possibility but not 100%.
Old 20th January 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
According to the doctor, he's actually recommending not to do the surgery. Recovery is up to 6 months. A stint is a possibility but not 100%.
I got a stent

I was home the next day. It's pretty amazing. I also immediately felt better than I had in years.
Old 20th January 2018
Lives for gear

My mom has had them. They are not sure they can with him though.

I have no idea, I'm just confused.
Old 13th February 2018
Lives for gear

Since I've turned this into a my "dads bypass" thread, just an update. What a MESS!

First off, they've been dragging him all over the last 3 weeks and have been a roller-coaster ride. They can't do the surgery at our big huge conglom-ospital, NOOOO. They have to do it in downtown Sacramento, of course

So it's a **** hood, and they do have valet parking, but now, after all that, it's at 5am Wednesday.

4-6 hours of surgery, 4-6 hours of recovery and the worlds most stubborn mother, who doesn't understand she can't just sit there and do nothing. So, much stress, seems more complicated than it should be, and who knows.

Man, he's just going through hell.
Old 13th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Since I've turned this into a my "dads bypass" thread, just an update. What a MESS!

First off, they've been dragging him all over the last 3 weeks and have been a roller-coaster ride. They can't do the surgery at our big huge conglom-ospital, NOOOO. They have to do it in downtown Sacramento, of course

So it's a **** hood, and they do have valet parking, but now, after all that, it's at 5am Wednesday.

4-6 hours of surgery, 4-6 hours of recovery and the worlds most stubborn mother, who doesn't understand she can't just sit there and do nothing. So, much stress, seems more complicated than it should be, and who knows.

Man, he's just going through hell.
I feel your pain and frustration, Pal. All I can say is "hang in there"!
Old 13th February 2018
Lives for gear

Thanks.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search