The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Standing desks?
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Standing desks?

Hello guys. Like many other people I work usually sitting and I keep such position really for a long time. However I really don't like this because it makes me tired emotionally, less concentrated on work and sometimes I feel after my work really unpleasant neck and back pain :(
I heard that in offices such device as a standing desk became popular, it seems that it's a nice one, however I'm curious did someone used it in the studio? Is it really an effective thing?
And where it's better to buy the one, I mean in case of the best quality and not very scary prices?
Thanks in advance!
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Such a similiar problem! I suffered from this long sitting in office too, it was a long time ago because later I devoted myself to music but I remember that feelings really well! That's why after starting to work in my studio I got a standing desk rather fast because these devices really solve the problem with the lack of moving... There's also a desk riser as an alternative for it but for our type of work they're not good because you can move on it only your monitor, not also all that other stuff which we need for our music
The best thing about these devices is that they provide free moving during your work and it's not a problem to continue it both standing or sitting. Also personally I prefer to work standing as many other guys from my studio too
You can buy the one in Ikea or here https://www.primecables.com/c-18871-mounts-sit-stands for example, there's many models of them but as I can say from my own experience you don't need a too complicated and expensive one, in my case I use a common simple standing desk and I'm satisfied with it. And such simple models usually cost smth like 180-200$ as I remember, not a very expensive thing in my opinion at all.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
This is what I'm using-

Which is a Jarvis desk frame, with the whole top built out of plywood.

Going to actually be rebuilding the desks (and a whole new studio) over the next year, and this time I'm going to use a 3 leg frame kit (going to try a 3 leg UPLIFT frame kit) for more stability as people want to lean on the desk.

It is a challenge to get acoustics good for all positions, in my setup, only sitting is really *mixing and mastering* worthy. But, being able to stand for tracking, editing, production etc is awesome and also it's great to be able to adjust for different seated heights. I really like the chairs like the Hon Capisco where you can 'perch', but it was pretty expensive and proved not to be durable enough for a studio with multiple engineers etc.
Old 3 weeks ago
I used to experience neck and back pain too after sitting for prolonged periods of time.

I realized the problem was not the desk I was using but rather the culprit was the chair!

Instead of re-inventing the wheel by investing in a stand up desk, I would recommend buying an ergonomic chair. I'm now pain free with my replacement chair.

Having said that, I have used stand up desks in the past but in an office setting and it was great. They are very good for keeping you awake and alert but I'm not sure how effective it would be for studio use.
Old 6 days ago
Using a standing desk and never having any music related back issues except after long sessions playing a Telecaster Works for me and also makes it easier to be more persons moving faders.
However I want a nice tall bar chair for it soon, could be good for convenience.

For the kind of tracking that doesn't involve eye contact due to a lot of tricky punch ins or encouraging a frustrated musician I just sit on my ass though with the remote for the tape recorder within close reach.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarmJetGuitar View Post
However I want a nice tall bar chair for it soon, could be good for convenience.
Check out the Hag Capisco. My only beef with that one is it eventually broke, but that's in a busy multi-op studio setting, I think it would be fine for owner-op if you aren't too heavy.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Nut

I use a sit/stand desk for my regular job, which involves being at a computer all day, sometimes 12-16 hours a day. It helps, but standing still for a long time is not much better for you than sitting. What I find works best is alternating a lot -- 15 minutes standing, 30 minutes sitting, 20 minutes standing, 20 minutes sitting, 30 minutes standing, etc. And just getting up periodically to walk around, go up and down stairs, etc. also helps. You can even buy treadmill desks now that keep you walking slowly all day, but they use energy, make noise, and take some getting used to. I think the alternating approach is best, and making sure you move around.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search