The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Shingles (Herpes Zoster Oticus)
Old 23rd April 2017
Gear Head

Shingles (Herpes Zoster Oticus)

Dear Slutz, if this is not the best place for the thread, Im sorry, please move it to appropriate forum.

I've been diagnosed with Shingles 23 days ago. Shingles did not affect my facial nerve, so I didn't get "Facial Palsy". I did notice the lack of high frequency in my left ear, went to doctor and started taking "Acyclovir" 48 Hours after I noticed the lack of high frequencies and 12 hours after rash occurred on the left side of the neck. Im 29 year old Virtual Instrument/Sample Library Developer. My country is not as developed in any area, so I doubt in everything. I came here in search for similar experiences and possible outcomes as well as return rate of the attack.

It started with High Frequency Loss, followed by a huge hole in 512 Hz area. After a week of medications (4 pills of Acyclovir five times per day) thankfully my mid range has been cleared and on pure tonal audiometry test, it shows no holes. Right now Im left with 40 Db damage in my ear at 8 Khz, and past that I don't hear much at all. After 10k pretty much nothing.

This affects my mixing and my quality of living. So my questions are:

1. Did anyone had a shingles affecting their 7th and 8th cranial nerve?
2. If so, did you guys get any improvements over time?
3. For how long can I hope for some improvements, if any?
4. Did anyone had a second attack on the same place affecting same ear?

Thanks so much dear people, I couldn't find much information on the net about this, so I decided to start this thread, and hear about the experiences of others.

I think I'll keep this page updated every two weeks from now, so that there is some recorded data for others if in need.

Thanks
Old 23rd April 2017
I had it on the top of my head. It felt like someone stabbing a cigarette out! (Bad)

But no hearing impact. Hope you get some replies.
Old 23rd April 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by klogg View Post
I've been diagnosed with Shingles 23 days ago. <> Im 29 year old Virtual Instrument/Sample Library Developer. My country is not as developed in any area...
Shingles at 29. Wow.

This is a long shot, but do you have any acupuncturists where you live? Good ones (and they're not all good) can help a lot with autoimmune-related problems. From things as benign as seasonal allergies to things as crippling as rheumatoid arthritis.

Wishing you all the best.
Old 23rd April 2017
It's much more painful and dangerous as an adult than as a child.

+1 for bad stuff.
Old 23rd April 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Shingles at 29. Wow.

This is a long shot, but do you have any acupuncturists where you live? Good ones (and they're not all good) can help a lot with autoimmune-related problems. From things as benign as seasonal allergies to things as crippling as rheumatoid arthritis.

Wishing you all the best.
Hey Brent,

Thanks so much for the wishes. Shingles is not autoimmune disease, its chickenpox we all had as kids, just reactiveted for some reason. Im really not sure if acupuntrists would do anything for this kind of issue?. Basically as I understood the doctor, he said that my middle ear and my audiral nerv has been damaged due to virus infection, and thats why my hearing loss is permanent.

Thanks for your wishes so much!
Old 23rd April 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Hey Brent,

Thanks so much for the wishes. Shingles is not autoimmune disease...
Yes I get that but it's the kind of thing that flares up when a person's immune system is compromised by something else. Hopefully in a person as young as yourself it's fatigue or stress and not something worse.
Old 23rd April 2017
Gear Head

Oh I see what you mean now. I did bloodtests and visited 5 different doctors, all is good they said, also they said its stress related... Generally Im very healthy person. Dont have allergies of any kind and I Im rarely sick.

Im really hoping that somepne will step out with similar if not the same sickness as mine.
Old 15th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth Guru View Post
It's much more painful and dangerous as an adult than as a child.

+1 for bad stuff.
Shingles is typically a disease you get when you're 50+ if you've had the chicken pox some time in your life.

Personally I've had the chicken pox in my early 20's, and I will testify how bad those are as an adult, having when them everywhere including inside my mouth, and even "there" (don't ask me to draw you a picture, but it's part of the anatomy that only males have).

Now that I'm approaching 50 I'm going to get the shingles vaccine because I don't want to go through anything near that amount of suffering ever again!
Old 15th May 2017
wmc
Here for the gear

try decoction of guaiac wood (guaiacum officinale) old remedy for this problem, it have strong antiinflammatory and antiviral properties.
Old 19th May 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefellh View Post
Shingles is typically a disease you get when you're 50+ if you've had the chicken pox some time in your life.

Personally I've had the chicken pox in my early 20's, and I will testify how bad those are as an adult, having when them everywhere including inside my mouth, and even "there" (don't ask me to draw you a picture, but it's part of the anatomy that only males have).

Now that I'm approaching 50 I'm going to get the shingles vaccine because I don't want to go through anything near that amount of suffering ever again!
That's a wise idea about getting the vaccine.
Old 12th June 2017
Gear Head

Ok, after 3 months I can say that my hearing has been completely recovered. I had a ENT appointment today, and he said thst I have no measurable hearing loss. My tinnitus is completely gone ss well, lets hope it just stays like that.

Thanks everyone who tried to help.

Im just concerned that this Herpes Zoster Oticus does not strike again.
Old 12th June 2017
I have neuralgia and have found vitamin b12 to help with the pain.... I have also used it for bell's palsy with good results...
Old 13th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ok, after 3 months I can say that my hearing has been completely recovered. I had a ENT appointment today, and he said thst I have no measurable hearing loss. My tinnitus is completely gone ss well, lets hope it just stays like that.

Thanks everyone who tried to help.

Im just concerned that this Herpes Zoster Oticus does not strike again.
I'm happy to hear though that you made a recovery. Best of luck to you.
Old 23rd May 2018
Lives for gear

I had shingles when I was 23!

That's what London stress can do to you.

Super painful but my hearing was not affected. As others have said, you should get back to normal after a while on any symptoms.

Also guys, relax : )
Old 25th May 2018
Gear Addict

There are two kinds of Shingles vaccines, live virus - Zostavax, and a new one that is dead virus, Shingrex.

If your immune system is compromised due to organ transplant etc, you CAN NOT take the live virus vaccine.

Shingrex is new but doesen't have the complications of Zostavax. That said, the jury is still out on using it with immuno compromised patients.

If you have had the Zostavax vaccine the CDC recommends getting the Shingrex shot.

I mention this only because my sister suffered a severe shingles attack in January, that hospitalized her for 10 days. She is just now returning to work in the office setting.

I'm an organ transplant recipient and hope that my transplant doctors become comfortable with Shingrex. Kid sister suffered enough.
Old 25th May 2018
Lives for gear

Twice I've had the extreme dis-pleasure of enduring Shingles.

First time on my forehead, arm, and stomach. 2nd time on my lower back and stomach.
No medical reports of any permanent damage, thankfully.

My Mom got hit with Shingles, and did sustain eye damage.

Has to be one of the most agonizing, painful, experiences.

I debate in getting the vaccine, as I now see lawsuits involved with it. :|

I've no answer ... and I would not wish on anyone.
Old 25th May 2018
Lives for gear

Glad you're better. I also had it in my late twenties, doctor said it was the worst case they'd seen (half my back was completely covered in blisters.) Not fun.
Old 19th February 2019
Lives for gear
Happy to hear you are better. I had shingles twice, still have some scarring ten years later. Seriously painful.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search