The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mixbus and MTC/MMC? Trying to sync my MPC60 DAW Software
Old 14th May 2014
Lives for gear

Mixbus and MTC/MMC? Trying to sync my MPC60

Anyone managed to sync an MPC to Mixbus? I'd like to use the MPC for my sequencing and record into Mixbus. Just not clear how you sync the 2.

In short, how do I send MTC to my MPC?

Cheers!
ps: running OSX
Old 14th May 2014
Gear Guru

what Midi Interface are you using ??? i will have to go into Mixbus and see where in the menus / preferences you Turn On Output MTC to ??? and then you pick your midi interface …. without getting to deep .. should be fairly easy to find ..
Old 14th May 2014
Lives for gear

I am using a Motu micro lite
Thx
David
Old 14th May 2014
Gear Guru

i just fired up Mixbus … in Mixbus at the top under Options / Sync menu / Select MTC … assuming you already have your Midi interface (micro lite) all setup …

my MPC is the MPC studio so i do not have to leave the computer for Beat Clock sync (i noticed that BEat Clock made for a lower latency and tighter sync for ME) … also: i noticed that when returning audio from MPC back into DAW you will have some latency and … not sure how you will handle it … i placed an AUX track before my Master so i could place a delay on all my outgoing audio to try and line up the MPC incoming audio to be able to use them together in Realtime …

cheers john
Old 14th May 2014
Lives for gear

Thanks!
I do have all those options in mix us tagged and the interface setup. No joy though. The confusing thing for me is that nowhere in mix us does it show where the mac is going, or I just haven't found it.
Will try some more tomorrow.
Old 14th May 2014
Gear Guru

in your micro lite software / driver there may be an option to allow MTC to pass either way - to and from … i have a Midi to XLR cable adapter here (my cheap midi extension) and can see if there is any MTC coming out by plugging it into a Fostex 6301B Speaker … i will let you know if it is audible …
Old 14th May 2014
Gear Guru

one other thing i noticed in AudioMidi Setup is that you can create Ports for MTC, MMC, Midi Beat Clock … not sure if this will help but it might inspire you …
Old 14th May 2014
Lives for gear

Cheers!
Old 14th May 2014
Gear Guru

after reading a bit and trying out a few things i am of the notion that you cannot do this …. not giving up but maybe a phone call to Harrison would solve this faster ..
Old 14th May 2014
Lives for gear

May do that. Worst case I just record in Logic and mix on mixbus.
Old 14th May 2014
Gear Guru

i tried a speaker on my Midi output and could hear no MTC - i tried years ago to make Logic talk directly to MB and PT but cannot remember what happened .. in other words, use the MB as a Stem Mixer … send over as many stems as you like from PT or Logic and enjoy that Saturation on the MixBusses …. maybe Rewire ? this is making me want to try some new material i am working on through MB …
Old 14th May 2014
Deleted User
Aint possible from what Im seeing here. MixBus doesn't see any of the MOTU midi ports so you can send MTC to the MPC. No way to route the sync from mix bus that I can see. If you look in the preferences for midi in MixBus you'll see Ardour, MCU and control, thats it. My MTP AV isn't showing up to the party. MTC does NOT transmit an audible signal BTW, that would be SMPTE. MTC is the mid equivalent of SMPTE but without the audio signal.

Let me know what Harrison says.
Old 15th May 2014
Gear Guru

ah …. good to know … if the micro spits out SMPTE than maybe an option … but as you say, there is no way to get ANY TC out of the program …
Old 15th May 2014
Gear Guru

here is an idea … check me on this … if you stripe one of your audio tracks with SMPTE (even just a file made in another program) so you can spit that out an audio output and send SMPTE to your MPC … just a thought
Old 15th May 2014
Lives for gear

And a good thought!
I will think about that one..
Old 16th May 2014
Lives for gear

Same issue

It took me 2 1/2 days to figure out how to sync Propellerheads Reason to the Harrison Mixbus. My issue was that Reason 5 only receives midi clock but won't sync midi clock out. The Harrison can send and receive Midi Time Code through IAC on Mac. So the only way that I could get the to to work in sync was I added the RS 16X into the equation to sync to both Daws. The RS 16X is a software drum machine that some what copys the features of th MPC. In the Midi menu I set it to all so that it would sync to both Midi Clock and Midi Time Code to send midi messages to both programs. The thing to remember with the Harrison is in the Midi menu make sure to create a port for your midi device or just use the one that says ardour. If the boxes is glowing red it will block the signal it should be grey so that the midi messages can get through. I hope this helps
Old 16th May 2014
Gear Guru

i have been able to do it with my MPC studio as it is software controlled hardware … but no dice going in or out of the computer with MTC ..
Old 16th May 2014
Gear Addict

It's already been mentioned but check out SMPTE time code.

I send a 25fps time code track in Pro Tools to a slaved MPC4000.
The only fiddly bit was working out how much offset the audio track needed to get the lockup as close as possible.
Set the tempo the same for both machines and remember Daw is master.

It's potentially better than MTC as there is one less jitter prone midi interface to worry about.
Old 16th May 2014
Lives for gear

I e-mailed harrison and got an instant response.
I presume they won't mind me putting it here

And it worked although I haven't tried it in anger. Just saw that my MPC60 starts and stops as I run mixbus and seems to be in tempo. Great!
Will have to check it is all synced properly later though..
Basically using the midi patchbay software I specify ardour out to mpc in and make sure it allows midi clock.
Great support here and from Harrison. Thanks to all here who offered their thoughts.
David

Hi David,

Mixbus publishes 3 ports to OSX: ardour, control, and mcu. By default, the "ardour" port handles incoming and outgoing MTC. But you can change these allocations in Mixbus->Preferences->MIDI.

Unfortunately, Mixbus v2 doesn't have a facility to pick which of your "physical" ports are connected to each of these virtual ports. For that, you can use a third-party app like MIDI Patchbay to connect the OSX virtual ports.. ( we always thought that Apple would create their own MIDI port controller, but to my knowledge they never did ). Mixbus v3 will have its own MIDI port patchbay.

If you connect the Ardour "virtual" port to your physical port (with the Akai connected), then enable Options->Sync->SendMTC, it should send sync to the Akai!
Old 16th May 2014
Gear Guru

very cool that they responded so quickly … MTC solved - too bad there is no SMPTE … maybe in an update …
Old 16th May 2014
Gear Guru

will your Micro convert MTC to SMPTE ???
Old 16th May 2014
Lives for gear

Nope..
Old 16th May 2014
Gear Guru

ah yeah, it is the micro express that does that …
Old 16th May 2014
Gear Guru

i still think the cheapest way is to output a channel of SMPTE (recorded to a track or use a file) to your MPC … drop on a track / lock it / just give yourself a little lockup time ..
Old 14th July 2015
Lives for gear

No Midi Clock

I was looking forward to syncing MB3 to reasons.
Old 14th July 2015
Lives for gear

No Midi Clock

I was looking forward to syncing Harrison MB3 to Reasons.
Old 18th July 2015
Lives for gear

I was Very wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atak View Post
I was looking forward to syncing Harrison MB3 to Reasons.
Harrison Mixbus V3 is capable of doing Midi Clock. That was important for me to synchronize it to Propellerheads Reasons 8. Now I am totally complete
Old 1st August 2015
Lives for gear

Unfortunately

Quote:
Harrison Mixbus V3 is capable of doing Midi Clock. That was important for me to synchronize it to Propellerheads Reasons 8. Now I am totally complete
Synchronization is nonfunctional in Harrison Mixbus V3 hoping for update other than that I'm very happy with it.
Old 11th May 2016
Lives for gear

Very Functional

Quote:
Synchronization is nonfunctional in Harrison Mixbus V3 hoping for update other than that I'm very happy with it.
I was finally able to get Harrison V3 as well a Pro Tool and Propellerheads Reason 8 to Slave simultaneously too my Akai MPC 3000. It was not easy but hell it works Excellent!!!!! Thank God

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search