The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Harrison Mixbus V2.5 - $19.95
Old 30th April 2014
Gear Addict
Harrison Mixbus V2.5 - $19.95

This seems like a good deal:

NO BRAINER DEAL : Harrison Mixbus

Does anyone have any experience using Mixbus with U-he Satin?

Rgds

Russ
Old 30th April 2014
Had a lot of problems with most plugins when using mixbus on Snow Leopard. When using Mavericks I hardly had any problems. have not used Satin.
sorry
Old 30th April 2014
Here for the gear

Thanks!

Thanks for the info. I'd been thinking of getting Harrison Mixbus but I didn't really want to spend the $. But at this price, what a bargain!

Don't know about U-he.

I tried out a Harrison demo as a summing mixer and a mastering tool.

I love it.

I know everyone says there is no difference in summing between DAWS but I like what I hear with Mixbus. Plus I use the eq's a bit and the tape saturation. I like what I"m hearing.

I didn't want to pull the plug but at 20 bucks how can I say no?

Thanks
Jim
Old 30th April 2014
Yeah its fun to play with. no doubt.
But I had a hard time getting a good workflow with it. Its a DAW that has a long way to walk before I will be able to use it proper.
But that price is a steal. Just get it.
Old 1st May 2014
Version 2 or 2.5? It says Version 2 on the website?

Sounds like an unbelievable deal.
Old 1st May 2014
Gear Head

I bit on this. I was questioning the version thing myself so went the the mixbus website and saw where they touted the features everything was referred to as V2. Based on that and the the price/savings they advertised I assumed it was the current version. I didn't have time to call and just went for it. All I have at this point though is an email confirmation.
Old 1st May 2014
Lives for gear

It is a really good deal.

BTW mixbuss will sound different because it adds saturation and stubble exciter effects on the output buss.

It is a nice add and does sound lovely, it just lacks in the wow & polish though, not very pretty, but if you need a console sounding ITB summing mixer for cheap and are unhappy with your current setup it is a wonderful add.
Old 1st May 2014
Lives for gear

At $20 it is a no-brainer. As a DAW it does leave much to be desired (imho); as a summing mixer for stems, it's brilliant. The built-in saturation, compression and EQ make this process a doddle and it sounds great too.
Old 1st May 2014
no brainer for sure but I can't install Mixbus 2.5 on my Mac (10.9)

Works on Windows 8 64 but not on Mac os X 10.9 so we need an update quickly ! I can't drag mix bus and pdf to the application folder
Old 1st May 2014
Lives for gear

Hi guys, thanks for your interest in Mixbus!

@deckard1: The latest version is 2.5, which is included in the No Brainer. Any purchase of v2 gives you free updates to the 2.x series.

@PascalC: Mixbus runs fine on Mavericks. But the "Alias" to the Applications folder (in the installer dmg) didn't work. Just drag it to your "real" Applications folder. I'll fix the dmg ASAP.

Please don't forget to join our forum/Facebook/Google+/Twitter so you can learn about updates, videos, plugins, etc. We look forward to hanging out with you.

-Ben
Harrison Mixbus product manager
Old 1st May 2014
DSK
Lives for gear

I don't really like the workflow so much.... but if I do everything in Live and then export track by track for the mix, the sound is more defined, polished and airy.

I like it for this reason (using it as a mixing desk) and will probably purchase it!
Old 1st May 2014
That's a great deal indeed! I'm totally into mixing and mastering lately so maybe this tool wil help to improve my skills. Although I recently bought Slate VCC, maybe I can take the best from both worlds. By the way, I don't see it as a DAW but what the name already indicates: a mixing console. So I'm not sure why people talk about it (just in general) as if it's similar to a music production DAW (with midi etc.). Or am I missing something? I'm still new to this Mixbus.
Old 1st May 2014
DSK
Lives for gear

Looks and feels like a mixing desk to me. Not a composition tool. So it's a DAW but a mix focused one, instead of a allrounder.

Although you can manipulate recordings (stretching etc.) I wouldn't give away the convenience of Live while creating songs or tracking synths/outboard gear.

What is nice it that it sounds good also, and the stock plugins are some of the best I ever heard in a DAW.
Old 1st May 2014
Fair enough. Just bought it. heh
Old 1st May 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenLoftis View Post

@PascalC: Mixbus runs fine on Mavericks. But the "Alias" to the Applications folder (in the installer dmg) didn't work. Just drag it to your "real" Applications folder. I'll fix the dmg ASAP.
Thanks
BEST support ever
Old 1st May 2014
Lives for gear

Just ordered. I'm curious to check it out. Back around 2001-2003, I attempted to make Linux my main OS, and I used some very early versions of Ardour. It will be very interesting to see how the editor has evolved. I will be using Mixbus on Mac this time around, however.
Old 1st May 2014
Lives for gear

I am so tempted by this. But I'm moving OTB so it just won't get used.

But for $20 I am very tempted.
Old 1st May 2014
Lives for gear
Very happy with my DAW... however $20, I mean come on. Sounds worth a shot.. I might grab it. Very interested.
Old 2nd May 2014
Lives for gear

Right now I'm saying I'll pass but honestly after getting the metric halo plug ins I'm getting addicted to the no brainer promotion. For $20, even if I don't like it I have it, which could come in handy if I'm looking to add something new to a final master. I'll probably buy it closer to the end of the month.
Old 2nd May 2014
+++
Gear Nut

I picked this up after reading a few threads about Mixbus2 which piqued my interest. And I am very glad I did. For $20 it was an absolute *no brainer*.

Recently I've been on a hunt for new plugins after being out of the recording phase of music for a while. With the new breed of tape, transistor, transformer, and non-linear algos/etc my free time has been spent researching, comparing, and demoing plugs in hopes for an easier mixing experience, sonically. I ended up trying the Slate stuff (VBC, VTM, VCC), Satin, Waves J37/Kramer Tape, Sonimus stuff, ToneBoosters stuff, Softube stuff, etc. So far, I've purchased a few of those and I've had good results.

Today I received my license for Mixbus2 (via RSPE Audio). So I installed it (a VERY light package of ~59MB for OSX 10.9) and imported waves from a current session (rock and roll) which I've already mixed in Logic Pro X (I've used this song to do all my testing so far). Within 40 minutes I had the mix up, sounding good and very different from my previous results. Mind you, I was familiar with the song and I knew where my targets were. But considering Harrison's workflow quirks, 40 min seemed like good time. Being an early user of Ardour (in my *nix days), I knew the GUI would leave a lot to be desired (which it did) but it's not horrible. In fact, if you're used to working on a console the mixer view might be enjoyable. I love having a trim knob along with an EQ section, a comp/limiter, a PHASE BUTTON(!), knob aux sends, etc on a channel strip. Busses and the master buss also sport the comp/limiter along with low/mid/high filters and tape saturation. The implementation all works in a familiar way. While the mixer view was intuitive, the size and readability of the interface is just too small (some of the correlations don't work for me). This shouldn't be a huge obstacle for most people with decent vision but it pesters when you are mixing a project with a lot of tracks. Indeed -- like a real console, you must PAY ATTENTION to the channel you are working on.

The most important bit is this DAW sounds VERY good and unique. Obviously the algos in the mixbus section are responsible for coloring the mix. But color is what I am listening for and I heard it right away. I was able to get the low-end to have more definition and energy a lot easier than I was able to with Logic. The EQs worked as expected. The tape saturation on the master buss seemed a *tad* gimmicky to my ears but I used it with restraint and made it sound good. When forced into the + on the VU, the top end rolls off and mids go into overdrive and the sound falls apart- probably what you'd expect from a tape plugin. I did like the low/mid/high filters in the master buss section. This helped my mix overall, being that I tracked everything on a dynamic mic. And since mixing is not my career or religion, I took some extreme liberties and enjoyed the results.

BTW, the few 32 bit plugs that are still installed on this Mavericks box were picked up by Mixbus. Yay! This was a surprise coming from LPX. Also, Satin did work in demo mode without any failure.

I'm really excited to have this as part of my toolset. I'm also excited for Mixbus's development into its 3.x release.

I think my results were worth far more than $20. So for the price I'd consider this DAW a steal. But sonically, I think it stands out as something different that shines.
Old 2nd May 2014
Lives for gear

Couldn't pass this deal up but not happy that I have to wait for my digital download. Would have been cool if I was warned but you don't get a notice until they have your info/cc. This is not on Harrison though. Lesson learned.
Old 2nd May 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stilts27 View Post
Couldn't pass this deal up but not happy that I have to wait for my digital download. Would have been cool if I was warned but you don't get a notice until they have your info/cc. This is not on Harrison though. Lesson learned.
It took less that 8 hours for me to get the DL and key file DL/ That to me was not bad at at. I was "warned" they said could be up to 24 hrs, but usually less than that. I imagine all this stuff is in your inbox, but do check spam folder
Old 2nd May 2014
I'm searching Youtube (and reading the manual of course) for an easy beginning. I don't have the patience and time to discover everything right now, I just want to import my stems, add plugins, make groups and master. Youtube has a lot of videos about Mixbus but does someone know which one (or an article somewhere else perhaps) is the best guideline for a starter like me?

Edit > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbHwcsU7r2o
Harrison Mixbus - Shut Up and Mix
Seems the first one is already the right one. heh
Old 2nd May 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamikemusic View Post
I'm searching Youtube (and reading the manual of course) for an easy beginning. I don't have the patience and time to discover everything right now, I just want to import my stems, add plugins, make groups and master. Youtube has a lot of videos about Mixbus but does someone know which one (or an article somewhere else perhaps) is the best guideline for a starter like me?

Edit > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbHwcsU7r2o
Harrison Mixbus - Shut Up and Mix
Seems the first one is already the right one. heh
Harrison Consoles, Ben Loftis and rainesbroadcasting have made some tutorial videos covering the basics and mixing.

Importing stems is straightforward: just open a new session and name it...then select import from the menu; plug-ins can be inserted by right-clicking on the blank space above the channels in mixer view; also in mixer view you can select to send each channel to group bus or master bus by clicking on the send buttons on the channel strips (send is to master by default, so unclick that if you send to group too unless you want both).

I've found the Mixbus/Ardour DAW features to be more useful the more I use it; I'm doing less in my main DAW (Reason) now. Just wish I could simply wire direct from Reason to Mixbus rather than import stems.

The Mixbus sound is superb; especially what it does with bass frequencies...lovely soundstage too.
Old 2nd May 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Stone View Post
Importing stems is straightforward
Thanks!
Old 2nd May 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamikemusic View Post
Thanks!
You're welcome - 'Import' is in the 'Session' file menu...by default Mixbus will copy any selected audio files/stems into the Mixbus session folder (rather than use the originals) but this can be disabled in 'Options' and then on the 'Import' window.

It took me a while to get the basics but not any longer than other DAW's; I'm just starting my first tracking session direct to Mixbus. The Ardour side of it is actualy pretty capable in terms of features.

Just to add that there was an update this week which fixed some of the previous issues with 3rd-party plug-ins.
Old 2nd May 2014
Lives for gear

Alright, dammit, I'm in.
Old 2nd May 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Stone View Post
I think I understand the basics now. Things I did in the past hour: importing stems, grouping, renaming, adding 3rd party plugins (seems all of them are available), see how built-in eq / compression / tone shaping / tape saturation works, gain staging, changing bpm, looping. Bouncing seems to be explained in the 'exporting files' part. Will look into that later. Same with routing (Logic into Mixbus).
Old 2nd May 2014
A feature I find useful at mixdown is the K-Meter (situated above the master fader); the mix seems smoother when using it.
Old 2nd May 2014
Gear Addict
VERY nice input guys. I am almost about to purchase...

I am a Reason 7.1 Mac user and want the options that using Slate or U-he brings to a mix, that isn't available at the moment within the Reason environment.

Regards

Russ
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search