The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mix Tips Videos for Harrison Mixbus
Old 11th February 2013
Mix Tips Videos for Harrison Mixbus

Hey guys,

We've posted some videos up on YouTube that we think you might find interesting. They demonstrate various mixing techniques, and how to get them done in Mixbus. There's also some useful information about EQ and compression, so you're going to learn something no matter what DAW you use. We release new episodes each week, and they're free to watch on our YouTube Channel!

1: Grouping ( link ) - In this short video we show how to group channels into a mixbus.
2: Parallel Compression ( link ) - This video shows how you can blend a compressed signal into your drum mix to bring out detail and add more punch.
3: EQ ( link ) - In this longer video and 3 companion videos ( link ), we demonstrate common EQ techniques and how to achieve them in the Mixbus mixer.
4: Compression ( link ) - This video demonstrates the basic parameters of a compressor and shows how we implement the three most common compression tasks in Mixbus.

Tim
Old 16th February 2013
This week's episode of Mix Tips lays out gain staging. Practicing good gain staging is essential to building a great mix:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHEUKKvVtCg

Tim
Old 25th February 2013
This week's episode of Mix Tips expands on our previous episode on Gain Staging. We dive deep into the many different types of clipping!

The term "clipping" can be a little confusing because we use the same word to describe all of the different types of overloads.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cx_FqznRpbI

Tim
Old 4th March 2013
Episode 8 goes over all of the different meters in Mixbus.

Meters are just as important as the sound coming out of our monitors / headphones:

Mix Tips - Metering - YouTube

Tim
Old 11th March 2013
We released the first episode of our newest video series "Pro Tips" over the weekend. These videos will dive into more "power user" features of Mixbus.

Episode one demonstrates how to import tracks into Mixbus. This is useful when working with collaborators, or bringing tracks in from another DAW to mix in Mixbus.

Pro Tips - Importing Tracks Into Mixbus - YouTube
Old 15th March 2013
Here for the gear

Hi Tim, I've just purchased this and I have to say I'm really impressed. It's the first time I haven't felt like I was fighting a mix in the box. If you could do a video on editing and automation, that'd be great, as I'll admit I don't find it quite as intuitive as it could be (though to be fair, I haven't really gone through the manual yet). Thanks!
Old 19th March 2013 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMartianKing View Post
Hi Tim, I've just purchased this and I have to say I'm really impressed. It's the first time I haven't felt like I was fighting a mix in the box. If you could do a video on editing and automation, that'd be great, as I'll admit I don't find it quite as intuitive as it could be (though to be fair, I haven't really gone through the manual yet). Thanks!
Thanks for the feedback! Glad you're enjoying Mixbus! I hope to work an automation video demo into the mix soon...

Here is a video that goes over basic editing in Mixbus:

Harrison Mixbus: Basic Editing - YouTube

Tim Hall
Harrison Consoles
Old 19th March 2013
We did something a little different with this week's video. We wanted to show a whole mix from start to finish, demonstrating all of the techniques we have gone over in our Mix Tips video series.

Leave YouTube annotations turned on if you would like to see information on each process, or turn them off if you want to just sit back and watch the mix come together.

Harrison Mixbus - Shut Up and Mix - YouTube

Tim Hall
Harrison Consoles
Old 19th March 2013
Tui
Gear Guru

Is there no end to Harrison spamming this forum with their advertising.
Old 26th March 2013
In our second episode of Pro Tips, we demonstrate all of the export features available in Mixbus. Sometimes, you need more options than simply bouncing a finished mix:

Pro Tips - Exporting Audio From Mixbus - YouTube

-Tim
Old 2nd April 2013
Episode 3 of Pro Tips explores the automation features in Mixbus. I also give some advice on available gain tools that can be used before automation:

Pro Tips - Automation in Mixbus - YouTube

-Tim
Old 10th April 2013
Users asked, we answered. Here's a tutorial on how to route audio from Pro Tools to Mixbus in OSX:

Pro Tips - Routing From Pro Tools Into Mixbus - YouTube

-Tim
Old 14th April 2013 | Show parent
JGM
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Users asked, we answered. Here's a tutorial on how to route audio from Pro Tools to Mixbus in OSX:

Pro Tips - Routing From Pro Tools Into Mixbus - YouTube

-Tim
Has anyone tried this set up successfully? I've been at it for days and can't get everything to work. Got as far as setting up of the syncs in both DAWs, but when I start play on MixBus play on PT does not engage. I made sure I followed every step on the vid accurately. If I play PT I can hear the tracks in Mixbus, just can't get the sync.
Anyone had that issue?
Old 15th April 2013 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGM View Post
Has anyone tried this set up successfully? I've been at it for days and can't get everything to work. Got as far as setting up of the syncs in both DAWs, but when I start play on MixBus play on PT does not engage. I made sure I followed every step on the vid accurately. If I play PT I can hear the tracks in Mixbus, just can't get the sync.
Anyone had that issue?
Sorry to hear you're having trouble. I haven't heard about users having problems with the sync as of yet. It could be that Mixbus isn't sending MMC, or Pro Tools isn't set up to receive it.

E-mail our support team at [email protected] if you are still having trouble and we will try to get it straightened out.

Thanks,

Tim
Old 24th April 2013
A lot of users ask us about the editing in Mixbus, so we made a video to clear some things up:

Pro Tips - Region Editing and Crossfades in Mixbus - YouTube
Old 1st May 2013
The latest episode of Mix Tips is now available. In this one, we dive into some of the many uses of reverb:

Mix Tips - Using Reverb in Mixbus - YouTube

-Tim
Old 31st May 2013
The v2.3 update for Mixbus is now available! This update adds numerous improvements - a faster routing setup, enhanced keyboard layout, and a more refined editing workflow - and resolves multiple user-reported issues.

Our latest episode of Mix Tips shows off some of the new bussing features:

Mix Tips - Grouping and Bussing in Mixbus - YouTube

-Tim
Old 31st May 2013
Administrator

Cheers Tim!

Graham
Old 31st May 2013
Lives for gear

Well, I'm really enjoying using Mixbus and I appreciate the videos you guys are putting up. Thanks!
Old 9th June 2013
Gear Maniac

Harrison can you guys please make a video connecting some outboard to the DAW & show off how it compensates for latency. Thanks
Old 5th August 2013
This week, we will be posting more in-depth videos on our XTools plug-ins. Here's the video that we recently posted for the XT-EQ Equalizer:

XTools for Mixbus: XT-EQ Equalizer - YouTube

Tim Hall
Harrison Consoles
Old 6th August 2013
JGM
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
This week, we will be posting more in-depth videos on our XTools plug-ins. Here's the video that we recently posted for the XT-EQ Equalizer:

XTools for Mixbus: XT-EQ Equalizer - YouTube

Tim Hall
Harrison Consoles
Good stuff Tim. Really like the EQ.
Old 7th August 2013 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGM View Post
Good stuff Tim. Really like the EQ.
Thanks!
Old 7th August 2013
As promised, here's our in-depth look at the XT-ME Mastering Equalizer:

XTools for Mixbus: XT-ME Mastering Equalizer - YouTube
Old 7th August 2013
Gear Maniac

Hey Tim,

just a short one

Do you guys plan to release them as native versions in the future? (XTools)

Jig
Old 8th August 2013
Lives for gear

Hi Jig, these _are_ the native versions of our plugins. Or maybe you meant VST/AU/whatever versions?

Our plugins use the LV2 standard, which is a new, open-source standard for plugins. Any host that chooses to implement LV2 can load our plugins. I hope to see more hosts use this plugin format in the future.

If you'll google for plugin crashes {your DAW here} you'll find that nearly every plugin crashes nearly every host, on somebody's system. That's a rat race that we are not very excited to join.

The problem is that the plugin API's are sometimes vague. And there is no open-source "reference implementation" that shows a host how they should open a plugin. LV2 is a well-defined standard, without license or platform limitations, that also has several open-source host implementations that can be studied by host and plugin authors. That's a big deal, once people get on-board.

LV2 has several technical improvements over other plugin formats, such as the ability to separate the GUI and the DSP of a plugin, so a plugin can run "headless" or be controlled by a remote GUI from a different system.

Historically, Harrison has always been a front-runner for new technology ( first inline consoles, first console automation, separation of the control surface from the engine, plugins in the console, gigabit ethernet, native processing, etc ) and we normally prefer to be innovators rather than going with the status quo.

Most of the current plugins would work in traditional hosts. But the plugins that we plan to launch in the future would not be supportable because of the limitations of the current plugin APIs. So we are focusing on LV2 for now.

Best,
Ben Loftis
Harrison Consoles
Old 8th August 2013
Gear Maniac

Thanks, Ben.

All the best,
Jig
Old 19th August 2013
Our latest video covers the features of the XT-MC Multi-Band Compressor. We demonstrate how to use this plug-in to either fix a mix, or give it more movement:

XTools for Mixbus: XT-MC Multi-Band Compressor - YouTube
Old 23rd August 2013
Gear Nut

I love MIXBUS sound,BUT... I tried Logic/Mixbus setup last night (send tracks from Logic in to Mixbus through Jack outs and in to the Busses in Harrison). I like this setup,because Mixbus have a role of Analog Console and that's how i feel it sounds. Problem is that in this setup Mixbus is pretty slow,it crashes a lot and the worst of all it doesn't saves projects correctly. Actually i tried to save often but when it crashed and i want to continue mixing... Versions are not the ones i saved at all???!!! I used NLS Waves plugs in Mixbus,in Post Fader mode,because i wanted to push faders in to them,just like on a real console and i know they are maybe little cpu hogs,but i have strong mashine and that's not an issue in other DAW's! I would like to get some help from you guys,maybe with some advices how to optimise Mixbus or something in that chain in order to work this way without stress... TNX in Advance...
Old 24th August 2013
JGM
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by radjenko77 View Post
I love MIXBUS sound,BUT... I tried Logic/Mixbus setup last night (send tracks from Logic in to Mixbus through Jack outs and in to the Busses in Harrison). I like this setup,because Mixbus have a role of Analog Console and that's how i feel it sounds. Problem is that in this setup Mixbus is pretty slow,it crashes a lot and the worst of all it doesn't saves projects correctly. Actually i tried to save often but when it crashed and i want to continue mixing... Versions are not the ones i saved at all???!!! I used NLS Waves plugs in Mixbus,in Post Fader mode,because i wanted to push faders in to them,just like on a real console and i know they are maybe little cpu hogs,but i have strong mashine and that's not an issue in other DAW's! I would like to get some help from you guys,maybe with some advices how to optimise Mixbus or something in that chain in order to work this way without stress... TNX in Advance...
Hey radjenko I know exactly how you feel. When I first got mixbus and experienced the sound I was blown away and wanted to make it my new mix daw. But import/export files from pro tools is a pita. So I tried the jack router route, but I never got it to function properly, and like you I found that mixbus crashes a lot and doesn't save sessions (especially regarding plugins settings) correctly. I'd open back a session only to find my settings were not saved, even the names I had given to a specific plugin setting was not saved. So reluctantly I went back to pro tools. Not bashing mb at all, I truly love the ease of which i can get some great sounding mixes. I think mixbus has a great future if they can sort out the obvious issues. Keep the sound exactly the same, but make it more stable. And the jack routing is a fantastic idea, but that also needs to be sorted out to be more uniformly implemented on differing systems. Using it this way would be my preferred method, best of both worlds. But never worked properly for me.
I'm waiting for this thing to work properly so I can show off to my engineer friends my new mix daw
πŸ“ Reply