The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mix Tips Videos for Harrison Mixbus
Old 26th August 2013 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by radjenko77 View Post
I love MIXBUS sound,BUT... I tried Logic/Mixbus setup last night (send tracks from Logic in to Mixbus through Jack outs and in to the Busses in Harrison). I like this setup,because Mixbus have a role of Analog Console and that's how i feel it sounds. Problem is that in this setup Mixbus is pretty slow,it crashes a lot and the worst of all it doesn't saves projects correctly. Actually i tried to save often but when it crashed and i want to continue mixing... Versions are not the ones i saved at all???!!! I used NLS Waves plugs in Mixbus,in Post Fader mode,because i wanted to push faders in to them,just like on a real console and i know they are maybe little cpu hogs,but i have strong mashine and that's not an issue in other DAW's! I would like to get some help from you guys,maybe with some advices how to optimise Mixbus or something in that chain in order to work this way without stress... TNX in Advance...
Hi radjenko and JGM,

I created our video to demonstrate how to route from Pro Tools into Mixbus ( Pro Tips - Routing From Pro Tools Into Mixbus - YouTube ), so I will try to provide some insight on this...

The slow performance could be related to running two DAWs at once on your system. Keep in mind that the DSP in Mixbus is always engaged on every channel so that you don’t experience any issues when inserting any of the channel strip features. I experienced some slowness when using more than 24 channels of routing (Pro Tools to Mixbus) on my (very outdated) dual-core iMac. When we got our retina MBP here at the office, it was a very different story

I still can’t recommend going “1-to-1” with the routing if pushing more than 64+ tracks. We can’t account for the system resources that other DAWs may want to account for themselves when being run alongside Mixbus...

That being said, I recommend exporting your tracks / stems in your DAW and importing them into Mixbus. A majority of our "dual-DAW" users have told us that this is their preferred way to work in Mixbus. It makes more sense to me, which is why I made videos for exporting tracks from Pro Tools ( Pro Tips - Exporting Audio From Pro Tools - YouTube ), and importing tracks into Mixbus ( Pro Tips - Importing Tracks Into Mixbus - YouTube ).

Keep in mind that if you have any further issues, you can get the quickest answers by sending an e-mail our support team at [email protected].

Best Regards,

Tim
Old 26th August 2013 | Show parent
Also,

The "not saving sessions" issue is related to the order you save and close your sessions in all DAWs. When saving / closing a session, make sure that you save and close Mixbus before saving and closing in the "routed from" DAW. When re-opening the session, open your routed DAW session first, then open your session in Mixbus. This is why I mentioned how important the order of opening / saving / closing was in our Pro Tools routing video.

This order works like a charm for me between Pro Tools and Mixbus. Many of our Logic users who work this way have written in to tell us that it works this way as well.

Thanks,

Tim
Old 26th August 2013
JGM
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Also,

The "not saving sessions" issue is related to the order you save and close your sessions in all DAWs. When saving / closing a session, make sure that you save and close Mixbus before saving and closing in the "routed from" DAW. When re-opening the session, open your routed DAW session first, then open your session in Mixbus. This is why I mentioned how important the order of opening / saving / closing was in our Pro Tools routing video.

This order works like a charm for me between Pro Tools and Mixbus. Many of our Logic users who work this way have written in to tell us that it works this way as well.

Thanks,

Tim
Hey Tim thanks for chiming in. I am also on a very ancient Mac Pro, 1,1 to be exact, so I know that may have somehing to do with the hiccups I've experience attempting to get the 2 DAW routing going. So I have resigned back to PT until I can properly sort out my computing issues.
However, regarding the saving issues I mentioned earlier, I have experienced work not being properly saved (especially re plugin settings etc....) even with just running a stand alone MB session (no PT routing). But for now I'll still chalk that up to my system. I am still a huge fan of your DAW, and look forward to the day when perhaps it can play a much larger role in my workflow (it just sounds soooooo gooooood!).
Old 28th August 2013 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGM View Post
Hey Tim thanks for chiming in. I am also on a very ancient Mac Pro, 1,1 to be exact, so I know that may have somehing to do with the hiccups I've experience attempting to get the 2 DAW routing going. So I have resigned back to PT until I can properly sort out my computing issues.
However, regarding the saving issues I mentioned earlier, I have experienced work not being properly saved (especially re plugin settings etc....) even with just running a stand alone MB session (no PT routing). But for now I'll still chalk that up to my system. I am still a huge fan of your DAW, and look forward to the day when perhaps it can play a much larger role in my workflow (it just sounds soooooo gooooood!).
Not a problem

Keep in touch with us at [email protected] if you try this again. We can chase down any issues you may be having.
Old 17th September 2013 | Show parent
Back to the basics - our latest video covers the recording methods available in Mixbus:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LnjZC4UMAY

-Tim
Old 18th September 2013 | Show parent
Gear Head

Hi Tim, the videos are great, thanks.
Is there any information on when will we be able to use plugins with 4 inputs (not that I want sidechain, I only need the plugins working fine) and when version 3 (Ardour) is released for Windows?
Thanks
Rods
Lives for gear

Hi Rodolfo,

I've been in the software business too long to commit to a release of any specific feature, sorry

I can say that Harrison is funding a Windows port of Ardour3 and it is nearing completion.

Best Regards,
-Ben
Gear Head

Thanks. That is all I wanted to ear.
Good news

Rodolfo
Old 20th September 2013 | Show parent
Our latest episode of Pro Tips covers the features of the Range Tool in Mixbus:

Pro Tips - Range Editing in Mixbus - YouTube

-Tim
Old 1st April 2014 | Show parent
Episode 11 of our Mix Tips video series is now available.

We demonstrate how to set up external inserts with Mixbus:

-Tim
Old 10th August 2020
Gear Guru
Cool thread figured I see if new stuff out
📝 Reply