The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Sonimus Satson VS Harrison Mixbus
Old 16th May 2011
  #1
Lives for gear
Satson VS Harrison Mixbus VS Stripbus VS VCC

I know one is a plugin and the other is a full featured DAW, but i'm tempted on purchasing one of those.
Which one has the best sound?
Actually i'm using Ableton Live, so Satson will be just perfect, but as i also use Linux, i could export individual Ableton tracks to Mixbus on Linux for the final mix.
I've read a lot about summing, and Mixbus seems to have it nativelly since it's the same DSP algorithms of Harrison's hardware consoles and it's a full ITB mixer. Satson is just a solo plugin you put on each track, so they don't really "comunicate" each others.
Any thoughts on this subject?
EDIT: i've added VCC and Stripbus to discussion.
Old 17th May 2011
  #2
Lives for gear
 
dasoundjunkie's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalawag View Post
I know one is a plugin and the other is a full featured DAW, but i'm tempted on purchasing one those.
Which one has the best sound?
Actually i'm using Ableton Live, so Satson will be just perfect, but as i also use Linux, i could export individual Ableton tracks to Mixbus on Linux for the final mix.
I've read a lot about summing, and Mixbus seems to have it nativelly since it's the same DSP algorithms of Harrison's hardware consoles and it's a full ITB mixer. Satson is just a solo plugin you put on each track, so they don't really "comunicate" each others.
Any thoughts on this subject?
Can't comment on Mixbus, but Satson reminds me of sitting behind an E series ssl, wide and deep (and in the process made me give up the idea of external summing). Things sit better BEFORE you do anything to them and the filters are just awesome, besides it's $40. How can you go wrong?
Old 17th May 2011
  #3
Lives for gear
 
Lights's Avatar
Just looked up Mixbus... didn't it once cost $1000 or am I losing it? Now it's $79??

I'm skeptical about this product. A whole new DAW built by a mixer company?
Old 17th May 2011
  #4
Lives for gear
 
Kenton's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lights View Post
A whole new DAW built by a mixer company?
Not quite.

It uses Ardour (open source DAW) as it's foundation - and Harrison makes digital mixers too. Rather an effective pairing.

I have both - for workflow, Satson is winning at the moment. Having to export tracks or use Jack to get audio into MixBus is a bit of a pain - plus you have to learn another DAW which is annoying.

I've only done a couple of mixes with Satson but they both seemed to come together quickly and everything sat nicely without any fuss. Sounded pretty good too.

K.
Old 22nd May 2011
  #5
Lives for gear
 
vtone's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenton View Post
Not quite.

It uses Ardour (open source DAW) as it's foundation - and Harrison makes digital mixers too. Rather an effective pairing.

I have both - for workflow, Satson is winning at the moment. Having to export tracks or use Jack to get audio into MixBus is a bit of a pain - plus you have to learn another DAW which is annoying.

I've only done a couple of mixes with Satson but they both seemed to come together quickly and everything sat nicely without any fuss. Sounded pretty good too.

K.
+1

I have both (and VCC) and prefer Satson over MixBus. I like the sound of MixBus but learning a new DAW (and it's idiosyncracies) was tedious-- I wasn't getting any work done.

Satson sounds great and is a helluva lot of fun! You can get straight to work too which is nice.
Old 18th November 2011
  #6
Lives for gear
 

Can you use the Satson Sonimus with The Harrison Mixbus? Would that be a good combo for mixing?

Sent from my MOTWX435KT using Gearslutz.com
Old 18th November 2011
  #7
Lives for gear
 
kelvyn's Avatar
Have both as well as the VCC and agree that Sonimus or VCC is a better way of working at the moment.
Old 18th November 2011
  #8
also look at this one - I like this guys stuff a lot...

StripBus console emulation bundle
Old 18th November 2011
  #9
Lives for gear
Well, i ended up buying Harrison at the time. It has a huge sound! But i'm still not 100% confortable with it yet, so i ended up buying Stripbus and VCC RC-Tube. I think i have enought emulations now. Sknote plugins working on Linux would be great!! Ardour + Stripbus will be a killer combo!
Old 18th November 2011
  #10
Lives for gear
 

Just started a mix using Satson, so far I like it.

Haven't tried Mixbus, but I have Ardour, Installed Lion on an external drive for testing, it killed Ardour, but it looks like they have updated Ardour and Mixbus for lion compatibility.

Harrison was tied to the open source development, prior to the update they were thinking about upgrading to LEOPARD!
Old 21st November 2011
  #11
Lives for gear
 

I just wonder if using both Satson/Mixbus together on a mix would have a greater effect on some what getting a little bit of that console sound.

Sent from my MOTWX435KT using Gearslutz.com
Old 21st November 2011
  #12
I have stripbus, satson and harrison mixbuss and I like them all.

I am more used to my workflow in Logic and I just can't seem to figure out how to freeze tracks in Mixbuss... in Ardour it's quite easy....

I really love Satson with my SSL E-series plugins from Waves... things sound so well together and really make my drums and samples sound güd

I did a mix in mixbuss and it came out solid, but I also used other plugins, so I just didn't get why I should stay in it. It is solid and for editing really cool! One of the best editing workflows I've seen in a while and I will continue to edit in it, since it is very similar to the Pro Tools workflow (which I also have, but don't really like).

My favorite mixing combo so far is Logic Studio 9 and Satson, but i haven't tried stripbus on a project. I will soon

Cheers!
Marcos

p.s. EP's coming soon! (Shameless plug )
Old 21st November 2011
  #13
Lives for gear
 

Thanks that's great info.

Sent from my MOTWX435KT using Gearslutz.com
Old 21st November 2011
  #14
Lives for gear
 
famousbass's Avatar
 

Mixbus is superb.
Too bad the strip is not a plugin, oh, hang on, it is in UAD.
Old 21st November 2011
  #15
Lives for gear
 
djanthonyw's Avatar
 

Satson all the way, nothing better than an option that integrates into your current workflow! I'll be damned if I'm going to export every track into a whole other sequencer when it's just not needed due to other options.
Old 22nd November 2011
  #16
Lives for gear
I'm sure they sound different.
Perhaps we'll see some Harrison plugins in the future....
Mixbus was a big step for them. I love its sound. But if the sales are down expectations i'm almost sure they will turn to plugins.
Old 22nd November 2011
  #17
Lives for gear
 
vtone's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalawag View Post
I'm sure they sound different.
Perhaps we'll see some Harrison plugins in the future....
Mixbus was a big step for them. I love its sound. But if the sales are down expectations i'm almost sure they will turn to plugins.
MixBus as a plugin... I like that idea!
Old 22nd November 2011
  #18
Lives for gear
 

I guess it's a matter of taste. Mixbus really makes me feel like I'm working on a big console alone it's powerful. When coming from a past of working with not much gear and pulling of thee impossible and getting great sound.Harrison mixbus and Satson Sonimus are what's most used in my circle.

Sent from my MOTWX435KT using Gearslutz.com
Old 21st December 2011
  #19
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
I guess it's a matter of taste. Mixbus really makes me feel like I'm working on a big console alone it's powerful. When coming from a past of working with not much gear and pulling of thee impossible and getting great sound.Harrison mixbus and Satson Sonimus are what's most used in my circle.

Sent from my MOTWX435KT using Gearslutz.com
Now that includes Sknote StrupbusV2 it's a great addition to my studio.

Sent from my MOTWX435KT using Gearslutz.com
Old 29th December 2011
  #20
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atak View Post
Now that includes Sknote StrupbusV2 it's a great addition to my studio.

Sent from my MOTWX435KT using Gearslutz.com
Ooops I meant Stripbus

Sent from my MOTWX435KT using Gearslutz.com
Old 29th December 2011
  #21
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atak View Post
Ooops I meant Stripbus

Sent from my MOTWX435KT using Gearslutz.com
I ended up buying Mixbus, Slate RC-Tube and Stripbus!
Old 30th December 2011
  #22
Lives for gear
 
vtone's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalawag View Post
I ended up buying Mixbus, Slate RC-Tube and Stripbus!
How do you like Stripbus? I'm having trouble with it-- I can't hear the ducking, I can barely hear the EQ... I bought it but so far haven't found a practical use for it.
Old 30th December 2011
  #23
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtone View Post
How do you like Stripbus? I'm having trouble with it-- I can't hear the ducking, I can barely hear the EQ... I bought it but so far haven't found a practical use for it.
I love it!
The ducking is very subtle. Don't expect any sort of side chain compression with it, but it works. To use the EQ you have to choose the type of filter you want to use on the right.
Old 31st December 2011
  #24
Lives for gear
 
dasoundjunkie's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtone View Post
How do you like Stripbus? I'm having trouble with it-- I can't hear the ducking, I can barely hear the EQ... I bought it but so far haven't found a practical use for it.
Don't think of it as a proper EQ, it's more of a tone control.
Old 2nd January 2012
  #25
Lives for gear
 

I would still like to know if anyone is placing the Satson on there Harrison mixbus channels and what were there results. I have tried and after a while all the channels mono aswell a stereo would only play audio on my left speaker. What is the deal? Together using the Satson and Harrison sounds big analog gear sounding and open 3 d ish. The only problem is after a while say 20 to thirty minutes of play or adding a plugin after the Satson any different plugin after the audio defaults to one side. This stands between me getting the best results I have gotten since using digital in the box mixing.

Sent from my MOTWX435KT using Gearslutz.com
Old 2nd January 2012
  #26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atak View Post
I would still like to know if anyone is placing the Satson on there Harrison mixbus channels and what were there results. I have tried and after a while all the channels mono aswell a stereo would only play audio on my left speaker. What is the deal? Together using the Satson and Harrison sounds big analog gear sounding and open 3 d ish. The only problem is after a while say 20 to thirty minutes of play or adding a plugin after the Satson any different plugin after the audio defaults to one side. This stands between me getting the best results I have gotten since using digital in the box mixing.

Sent from my MOTWX435KT using Gearslutz.com
Same thing was happening to me. It's kinda sucked :(
Never figured out how to make it stop. So I gave up. I should try VCC instead.

Peace,
Min

P.s. Oh and for none Mac users I found this eq.... http://phoenixinflightaudio.blogspot...hrillereq.html
It's molded after the Harrison EQ. I have to try it on my laptop, but my laptop sucks :(
Old 2nd January 2012
  #27
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mista min View Post
Same thing was happening to me. It's kinda sucked :(
Never figured out how to make it stop. So I gave up. I should try VCC instead.

Peace,
Min

P.s. Oh and for none Mac users I found this eq.... http://phoenixinflightaudio.blogspot...hrillereq.html
It's molded after the Harrison EQ. I have to try it on my laptop, but my laptop sucks :(
Oh yeah the Phoenixflight Thiller eq is a jewell. I used it with my pc and I begged the guy to make a mac version but he only knows pc code and not mac but he said he is open for help.

Sent from my MOTWX435KT using Gearslutz.com
Old 4th January 2012
  #28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atak View Post
Oh yeah the Phoenixflight Thiller eq is a jewell. I used it with my pc and I begged the guy to make a mac version but he only knows pc code and not mac but he said he is open for help.

Sent from my MOTWX435KT using Gearslutz.com
Oh man, someone please HELP HIM!!!!!
Old 6th March 2012
  #29
Gear Head
theres no comparison!!!

satson is just a plugin.
and single plug-in made to make a single channel sound better. it does something to the sound but very minuet. VCC is better IMO.
but the summing algo stays the same crapy algo thats in most DAW's (if not all) - transparent, sterile and very hard to make it exciting.

mixbus takes care of the summing itself!! i don't like mixbus I LOVE IT!!!
even though it's buggy and hard to learn i will stick by it in rain or shine cause it ROCK THE S%$T OUT OF EVERYTHING!!
quit simple just import your WAV's into it and press play. (no tweaks or processing added) you will notice a dramatic excitement just playing it dry... thats not a "console emulation" thats the actual algo our of an actual console...
everybody talks about summing analog but finaly a major console manufacturer picks up the glove and does what we all been waiting for... now i'm just wondering why on earth didn't SSL do the same with their digital console algos...
Old 6th March 2012
  #30
Gear Head
BTW

i forgot to mention that mixbus is a total CPU HOG!
didn't even start processing nothing and i already had to work on 4000 buffer size... but i i have a core2 duo so... i'll be upgrading in a few days (yayi!)
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump