The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Sonimus Satson VS Harrison Mixbus
Old 6th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoamLavi View Post
thats not a "console emulation" thats the actual algo our of an actual console...
That makes about zero sense.

Besides, both VCC and Sonimus use a mix buss plugin at the end.
Old 6th March 2012
Lives for gear

If you are looking for some of the more dynamic behaviors of a console but don't want to switch DAWs, you might also consider SKNote stripbus. Crazy plugin. This pair of plugins actually communicates between instances of the plugins you assign to the same virtual console. Check it out.
Old 7th March 2012
Lives for gear
VCC and Satson are completely different from Mixbus, and Stripbus is also unique. Mixbus sounds best and is a complete console. Stripbus is the most versatile of them all (interchannel crosstalk, EQs, compressor, etc). VCC and Satson do sound great... In the end they all sound great and it's a matter of personal taste.
Old 7th March 2012
Lives for gear

HMB is my favorite Daw work flow is unmatched. Would be nice if the CPU hit didn't tax so much processing. Lately I have been using Cubase with Satson and Stripbus for my mixes. Getting great results from that combo. HMB is still improving after each update and in my opinion is the best sounding daw.

Sent from my MOTWX435KT using Gearslutz App
Old 17th March 2012
Gear Maniac

Satson anytime!
Old 1st October 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoamLavi View Post
satson is just a plugin.
and single plug-in made to make a single channel sound better. it does something to the sound but very minuet. VCC is better IMO.
but the summing algo stays the same crapy algo thats in most DAW's (if not all) - transparent, sterile and very hard to make it exciting.

mixbus takes care of the summing itself!! i don't like mixbus I LOVE IT!!!
even though it's buggy and hard to learn i will stick by it in rain or shine cause it ROCK THE S%$T OUT OF EVERYTHING!!
quit simple just import your WAV's into it and press play. (no tweaks or processing added) you will notice a dramatic excitement just playing it dry... thats not a "console emulation" thats the actual algo our of an actual console...
everybody talks about summing analog but finaly a major console manufacturer picks up the glove and does what we all been waiting for... now i'm just wondering why on earth didn't SSL do the same with their digital console algos...

they did... duende native contains the algo ported from their digital console... c series if i'm not mistakeing
Old 3rd July 2014
Gear Guru
FYI Britson works great in Mixbus!
Old 4th July 2014
Lives for gear

I love the sound of mixbus, if it could virtual instruments it would be my weapon of choice.

I have Satson, and Briston. To my ears Briston give a little 3D lift to tracks.

Old 4th July 2014
Mixbus user here: the soundstage/dynamics/tone are great but I like the workflow too...I start the tracks in Reason then import stems into Mixbus...it's been good to delineate the tracking/composition and mixing/mastering.

I'm getting on well with the Ardour DAW too...pretty intuitive and capable. Planning to use it like a tape machine.

Not tried the other apps but I like what I've heard (there's a GS shootout somewhere) - Mixbus seems like good value though...also using a few of their plug-ins (EQ, reverb, multi-comp) which are excellent.
Old 4th July 2014
Lives for gear

They all work in Mixbus. I'm using Nebula / AlexB consoles.
Old 4th July 2014
Lives for gear
Hey!! Why use a console emulation inside another console emulation??? Mixbus is enough IMO!
Old 2nd August 2014
+1 to Satson

Making my mixes sound deep and big.

Havent used mixbuss
Old 20th August 2014
Gear Guru
I too use other console emulations with Mixbus. Sknote, Slate, SDRR and Britson. They are all useful and give a little more dimension. I think of Mixbus more as a tape saturator. Basically like to got too far with saturation, and then pull it back. I think it really depends on how good your original recording is, how much you have to add. Mixbus really does sound great and is something to try, even as a mastering stage. Try taking other DAW mixes and sending them through. Not hard to do.

I do like the reverb, delay, multiband compressor and the Dynomite compressor on drums. The internal compression is very useful and the tone feature is really great I'd like to hear others opinions of the effects, and how they are using them.

Last edited by ardis; 20th August 2014 at 03:00 PM.. Reason: addition
Old 20th August 2014
Lives for gear

Mixbus sounds great, but as others have said its too much of a pain to create stems for everything, export, reload and so on.
I've been using Satson for a couple of years, it can be very subtle (or not) but it always makes a difference, plus the filters sound so sweet that often, on well recorded stuff, they're all its needed in terms of eq-ing.
The saturation sounds good as long as you don't start sticking it on everything. Version 1.3 with the grouping and the "trim as drive" function is a major step forward. I can think of a few companies that would ask £150 or more for a console emulation plugin that sounds this good.
Old 21st August 2014
Mixbus is great. It's one of those "bring up the faders and it sounds finished" type deals.

V3 is coming out in the future and it's gonna be even better.

I still don't understand how or why it's so cheap. I got it on sale for $40. Granted the older versions were very buggy but the most current is smooth as butter.
Old 21st August 2014
Gear Guru
FYI- Tape Op has a special price going around $40- for Mixbus.
Harrison Mixbus Store
Old 21st August 2014
Get Satson and/or Britson. They are fantastic and cheap. Place them on every track and mixe into them using the filters. That will give you a nice sound without having to pour on additional eq, etc.
Old 26th April 2015
Gear Addict

Mixbus sounds good its got that sound but its hard work to mix with imo
Old 26th April 2015
Gear Addict

Just done two mixes of the same track,1 with satson and the other with mixbus.
Mixbus hands down no competition
Old 27th April 2015
Gear Guru
To me I think of Mixbuss as my tape sound and add consoles etc. I do love saturation. VCC, SKNote Strip, Britson all work well with it. The only plug ins I have trouble with are VCC (new version) and Soundtoys that won't save settings. Hopefully this will be better with the new version.
Old 17th March 2016
Gear Nut

I have been using Mixbus 3 for the last few months, and I have to say is something else for mixing.
I connect logic x directly to mixbus with jack, so that I do not have to bounce the stems and import to mixbus.
In this way I can go back to logic and make adjustments with no pain, while mixing, and besides the signal stays intact until the final stereo print in mixbus with total recall on everything.
BUT! Just bought satson and will add all instances on mixbus and let you know of my thoughts.
The difference in mixing in mixbus instead of logic is quite huge and I am 100% logic user for 10 years now.
Its just the workflow so easy and fluid. I deliberately disabled vsts and AU plugins in mixbus, and this forces me to mix with what mixbus offers and actually finish something.
And when bounced, the song sounds identical to the realtime mixing version played from the daw. The reason I am saying this, is because for years I could feel that once bounced in logic, the audio was losing something,don't know what but it was not the same, dull, less dynamics, confused, messy, I dont know.
Old 6th May 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Tomb View Post
I have been using Mixbus 3 for the last few months, and I have to say is something else for mixing.
I connect logic x directly to mixbus with jack, so that I do not have to bounce the stems and import to mixbus.
In this way I can go back to logic and make adjustments with no pain, while mixing, and besides the signal stays intact until the final stereo print in mixbus with total recall on everything.
BUT! Just bought satson and will add all instances on mixbus and let you know of my thoughts.
The difference in mixing in mixbus instead of logic is quite huge and I am 100% logic user for 10 years now.
Its just the workflow so easy and fluid. I deliberately disabled vsts and AU plugins in mixbus, and this forces me to mix with what mixbus offers and actually finish something.
And when bounced, the song sounds identical to the realtime mixing version played from the daw. The reason I am saying this, is because for years I could feel that once bounced in logic, the audio was losing something,don't know what but it was not the same, dull, less dynamics, confused, messy, I dont know.
Hi Alex, I agree 100%, I always have the same feeling when listen to the bounced songs on Logic or other DAWs.
I'm thinking to buy the new 32C and try your workflow (jack) with 12 mix busses.
Old 6th May 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arionas View Post
Hi Alex, I agree 100%, I always have the same feeling when listen to the bounced songs on Logic or other DAWs.
I'm thinking to buy the new 32C and try your workflow (jack) with 12 mix busses.
yes i will go for 32c too i think, always wanted more elaborate eq!
Old 20th February 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Hi guys, Alex what about OS compatibility? What OSX are you using? I'm working similarly to you but instead of Logic I'm using Cubase routed to Mixbus (2.5). It sounds really nice, but because of Jack app I stucked with OSX Yosemite. I would really like to upgrade my system to mac os sierra but as far as I know Jack app is incompatible with newer osx's. Is there any solution to route audio to mixbus from another DAW on mac os sierra or at least El Capitan?
Old 20th February 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by meuseek View Post
Hi guys, Alex what about OS compatibility? What OSX are you using? I'm working similarly to you but instead of Logic I'm using Cubase routed to Mixbus (2.5). It sounds really nice, but because of Jack app I stucked with OSX Yosemite. I would really like to upgrade my system to mac os sierra but as far as I know Jack app is incompatible with newer osx's. Is there any solution to route audio to mixbus from another DAW on mac os sierra or at least El Capitan?
The above configuration was based on mavericks with jack.
I lately upgraded to yosemite but didn't try it yet.
Not sure if there is any other direct way to do it.
Maybe with stems after bouncing?
Old 20th February 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
The above configuration was based on mavericks with jack.
I lately upgraded to yosemite but didn't try it yet.
Not sure if there is any other direct way to do it.
Maybe with stems after bouncing?
Thanks for fast answer. So it looks like it's the end of the road with this kind of workflow. I hoped there is someone who knows how to use mixbus as a summing mixer on newer os but probably it's impossible as far as i'm concerned.
Btw Jack works pretty well with yosemite.

For me bouncing stems does not work well. Not to mention time consumption, I prefer to work with mix from top to the bottom so in my case bouncing stems is not efficient enough. Thx for advise
Old 21st February 2017
Gear Guru
Mixbus is coming out with Version 4 if it's as good an update as Version 3, should be interesting
Old 30th June 2017
Gear Nut

Coming back to this thread for updates!

Finally went back to the studio and managed to test things out.

My setup: Logic in multitrack into Mixbus 32C V4 in multitracks via Jack.

I have on every track and bus in 32C a version of Britson and a version of Satson connected in groups as usual so i can control in groups from the bus instances.
BUT britson and satson are before the native EQ and Comp from mixbus, you can drag them on top on every channel and bus.

One word: MAGICAL!
Satson is more fat and round while britson gives more mid and high presence, so the combination is lethal. 99% of the times I have the FAT button always on!

So yeah this setup for me works great, don't really need anything else as most of compression has been done beforehand and the eq is done in mixbus.

Then the last thing to do which i prefer to do in logic at the end, is to bounce the stereo track and do a final premaster with logic.

Cheers

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search