The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
slate digital VCC vs HARRISON MIXBUS ?? Saturation Plugins
Old 10th September 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFRfan View Post
Also, the EQ & compressors on every channel have a slightly different approach than most stock EQ's, not to mention entirely different settings between the track & buss EQ's. Those are mostly about workflow, but they are kind of unique. Plus, I never feel like I need to add anything into the plugin inserts - just mix.
I find myself switching on the compressors on each track even if they don't do any compression - it just adds a little something to the sound I find myself liking a lot.

Same with the EQ - I might add just a dB here and there just for the mojo factor
Old 10th September 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tui View Post
It is not "sort of true". It is true.
OK - I'll bite. Let me apply your quote to the other half of the original question:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tui View Post
Apart from a small amount of distortion on the master buss which cannot be disabled (you can bypass the master buss, though), Mixbus, by default, adds nothing to the original signal.
The differences in default are very subtle.

But your point about using it "by default" is not a useful one because nobody is just dropping tracks into Mixbus and hitting "render". A mixing environment is for, you know, MIXING. I think that VCC adds something very nice, but I can get something else (also very nice) by applying the very simple and always visible drive knob on busses' tape saturation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cprompt
I find myself switching on the compressors on each track even if they don't do any compression - it just adds a little something to the sound I find myself liking a lot.

Same with the EQ - I might add just a dB here and there just for the mojo factor
I do exactly the same thing. I love that I never try to get all surgical, either. If I need a notch, I can always drop in an insert for that, but it's a blast just using the built-in stuff.

I also like Reason quite a bit because of the full SSL strip on everything. But Harrison's approach uses up such a small about of screen real estate and it just feels more intuitive, even though it's more limited. Sometimes having fewer options to fiddle with gets you to a better end result. Or at least an equal result with less time and fuss.
Old 10th September 2013
Gear Maniac

Looked like a promising thread.

So many words, and nobody said anything useful.

Just a bunch of opinions, no founded knowledge.

"Opinions are like as*holes, we all got 'em."

Jig
Old 10th September 2013
Gear Guru
Actually I have a mix I did in Reaper and just dropped it in Mixbus and rendered it. Sounded different. Perhaps it's saturation but I do find it gives a very nice sound and character. There is a spatial quality to it, to my ears. Try it and see what you think. Thought it was interesting since it's easy to do and not a lot of money to do something I could see dropping a lot more for a plug, not to mention getting a DAW that I find appealing, since I don't use midi, and works with my plugs... Not an engineer just a musician, so I like something that just sounds better without fuss. VCC gave me the same thing but different. I work in film and was shocked when a video guy called film a distortion of pure video, he was right but I'd still rather shoot on film if I could afford it!
Old 10th September 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigsound View Post
So many words, and nobody said anything useful.

Just a bunch of opinions, no founded knowledge.
Not sure how you come up with founded knowledge concerning questions that are inherently matters of opinion. Which tastes better: watermelon or hamburgers? Since VCC & Mixbuss are not even trying to do the same thing, all anybody can offer are their opinions of what the products do to the sound of their music.
Old 10th September 2013
Gear Guru
Hey maybe I'll drone on about null testing! Music is inherently abstract. Probably the only artform that has no physical presence other than recordings. You can compare two drawings but try comparing 2 takes of a song. Especially with all the esoterics of how a compressor makes cymbals sound with different ratios etc, put into words for instance. The only thing I get our of this forum is shared experience. A sense of humor is good too. Easy to be snarky, but what exactly do you mean about founded knowledge? Comparison graphs?
I'd rather hear from someone with experience what their opinions are outside my limited horizions....
Old 16th January 2014
Gear Nut

So I am considering switching from Reaper (which I have been using for quite some time now) to Mixbus for tracking AND mixing. The idea of using two DAWs seems unappealing and like a lot of extra steps.

Currently I have a few plug ins that I use such as PSP Vintagewarmer, MixSaturator, MixPressor - which when these things are placed on either individual tracks or on the entire project - seems to work to achieve what people describe they get from using Mixbus..

How does tracking compare between Reaper and Mixbus? Is it worth relearning a DAW just to have tracks with "built in EQ and saturation" instead of just using an EQ plugin and Saturation plugin?
Old 25th January 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by timx1386 View Post
So I am considering switching from Reaper (which I have been using for quite some time now) to Mixbus for tracking AND mixing. The idea of using two DAWs seems unappealing and like a lot of extra steps.

Currently I have a few plug ins that I use such as PSP Vintagewarmer, MixSaturator, MixPressor - which when these things are placed on either individual tracks or on the entire project - seems to work to achieve what people describe they get from using Mixbus..

How does tracking compare between Reaper and Mixbus? Is it worth relearning a DAW just to have tracks with "built in EQ and saturation" instead of just using an EQ plugin and Saturation plugin?
You'd be tracking in Ardour actually, mixbus is just the virtual mixer. I started out with Ardour as it is completely free and as i remember very simple. But Reaper is in a completely different league and has way more control in terms of editing.

Id keep Reaper and is if for creation and then mix it in Mixbus.
Old 7th March 2014
Gear Guru
One thing I find really useful in Mixbus is the Tone controls found in the Mix and Master busses. A little goes a long way, but finding very useful. Ben @Harrison must live by his e-mail. Usually get instant or very quick responses to questions. Very helpful! Just tried SKNote Stripbus and works really well with Mixbus FYI...VCC does also.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search