The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Harrison Mixbus Reviews DAW Software
Old 28th April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nrt View Post
I am very impressed with its sound and idea.

The real strength of Mixbus is "we don't have a choice", like 70's recording studio. Even I don't like the sound of Mixbus, I can't change it. And less choice makes my music more focused.

Nowadays, everyone is doing like Waves Neve on guitar track, API of bass, UAD for vocals, etc. and this kind of POSTMODERN mix is actually sounds just scattered when mixed with transparent bus, even each track sounds great. On the other hand, Mixbus makes music more unified, and it is great for musicians and not-so great mix engineers who doesn't have super skill to unify different sounding source materials.

Actually, even top engineers rely on the color of the console, That's why they prefer colored console like API, NEVE. SSL G.... Many who looking at CLA's rack would think CLA sounds great because he uses a lot of gear, but actually CLA sounds great because he relies on SSL. If SSL or API makes something like Harrison MIXBUS, it will be huge hit.

Too many choices not only slows down the production speed but also makes final product less focused.
You bring up a very good point here. So many different flavors on a recording many times is not the best option. Hence the reason all my recordings are Manley and Portico gear. It's the sound I want on all my recordings. Waves Ren, V, C6, and several UAD plug ins are used on a regular basis. The SSL when a particular type of music needs it. You can get to a point you have so many plug ins that like a year later one of your plug ins you forgot about seems amazing once again. One plug in I can no longer live without is the UAD Studer. It just takes the edge off the recordings and makes them sound easier on your ears. Just love it. I have not tried the Harrsions Mixbus in over a year, I may give it another try. It seemed ok, but nothing wow on my first try.

I also must say that Cubase 5 has a little smoother sound compared to Samplitude which is clearer and snappier. I prefer the Cubase sound. I know there are a lot of threads on the the different DAW sounds, but Cubase it the sound I prefer.
Old 28th April 2011
Lives for gear

Harrison Mixbus is truly the one for me. I love the sound really smooth and like tape without hiss. I send my Reasons instruments through Jacks into Mixbus and it sounds the best. Coming from being a user of Cubase,Samplitude and protools I prefer Mixbus.
Old 28th April 2011
Lives for gear

I really enjoyed reading the SOS review on the Harrison MixBus. Harrison Mixbus

The core of the review is this;
For my first trial, I loaded in some tracks that I had output as audio files from Logic. The first speed bump I faced was that the program wouldn’t determine whether a file was stereo or mono and create an appropriate track. This means a little more planning ahead of time to create tracks and then bring in the files in groups. Not a big deal, but hopefully it can be improved.
Since I knew I wouldn’t be editing, I jumped straight to the mix window. The mixer has the look of an analogue design and is a refreshing change from the stark and slick look of other DAWs. Once the tracks were pumping through the mixer and the meters were dancing, I again noticed what a comfortable environment Mixbus is.
The EQs are smooth and provided what I needed, and if you need more detailed sculpting, there is no problem, since Mixbus supports Audio Units plug-ins. The compressor is extremely flexible, offering levelling, limiting and compression, and having the channel’s compressor settings and meters visible on the console’s surface is another feature that contributes to making the mixing process more enjoyable and less tedious. I appreciated the convenience of having these controls on the mixer with no windows to open and no panels to click, hold, scroll, hold and unclick. Mixbus’s creators were definitely thinking outside the box for mixing in the box.
The bus section performs its duties as expected and, if used conservatively, the tape saturation feature adds some extra I don’t want to say ‘warmth’ I’m not going to say ‘warmth’ more like smoothness with a bit of grit, if that makes sense. OK, fine, call it ‘warmth’.

My mix came together rather quickly and sounded great. How did it compare to the original mix? Actually, it was pretty close (well yeah, I used the same ears on both of them); perhaps the Mixbus mix was a little punchier and had a more scooped mid-range. But here’s the thing: I put that mix together in half the time, and had twice the fun doing it. This is, to me, what makes Mixbus worth owning and using. As someone who spends five to 10 hours a day staring at Logic, bringing the tracks into Mixbus makes me feel like I’ve gone to another studio to mix.
Automation worked very well and, as on most DAWs, tweaks can be made in the tracks window with visible nodes. This is where the snapshots feature really comes in handy for switching between different versions.

Based on the review, the mixes were pretty close when he compared them to his Logic mix. The difference was (subjectively) that he enjoyed working with the Mixbus more which included the way the mixer page looked. Here is the key: By forcing yourself to keep it simple, and not run to the 101 options in a typical DAW, the work flow in your studio is more enjoyable and free flowing. By keeping your work flow simple in any DAW, you can find working on a song will be more enjoyable.
Old 30th April 2011
Lives for gear

SOS review Good reading

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tube World View Post
I really enjoyed reading the SOS review on the Harrison MixBus. Harrison Mixbus

The core of the review is this;
For my first trial, I loaded in some tracks that I had output as audio files from Logic. The first speed bump I faced was that the program wouldn’t determine whether a file was stereo or mono and create an appropriate track. This means a little more planning ahead of time to create tracks and then bring in the files in groups. Not a big deal, but hopefully it can be improved.
Since I knew I wouldn’t be editing, I jumped straight to the mix window. The mixer has the look of an analogue design and is a refreshing change from the stark and slick look of other DAWs. Once the tracks were pumping through the mixer and the meters were dancing, I again noticed what a comfortable environment Mixbus is.
The EQs are smooth and provided what I needed, and if you need more detailed sculpting, there is no problem, since Mixbus supports Audio Units plug-ins. The compressor is extremely flexible, offering levelling, limiting and compression, and having the channel’s compressor settings and meters visible on the console’s surface is another feature that contributes to making the mixing process more enjoyable and less tedious. I appreciated the convenience of having these controls on the mixer with no windows to open and no panels to click, hold, scroll, hold and unclick. Mixbus’s creators were definitely thinking outside the box for mixing in the box.
The bus section performs its duties as expected and, if used conservatively, the tape saturation feature adds some extra I don’t want to say ‘warmth’ I’m not going to say ‘warmth’ more like smoothness with a bit of grit, if that makes sense. OK, fine, call it ‘warmth’.

My mix came together rather quickly and sounded great. How did it compare to the original mix? Actually, it was pretty close (well yeah, I used the same ears on both of them); perhaps the Mixbus mix was a little punchier and had a more scooped mid-range. But here’s the thing: I put that mix together in half the time, and had twice the fun doing it. This is, to me, what makes Mixbus worth owning and using. As someone who spends five to 10 hours a day staring at Logic, bringing the tracks into Mixbus makes me feel like I’ve gone to another studio to mix.
Automation worked very well and, as on most DAWs, tweaks can be made in the tracks window with visible nodes. This is where the snapshots feature really comes in handy for switching between different versions.

Based on the review, the mixes were pretty close when he compared them to his Logic mix. The difference was (subjectively) that he enjoyed working with the Mixbus more which included the way the mixer page looked. Here is the key: By forcing yourself to keep it simple, and not run to the 101 options in a typical DAW, the work flow in your studio is more enjoyable and free flowing. By keeping your work flow simple in any DAW, you can find working on a song will be more enjoyable.
I must say the workflow of as fast yet accurate mix is a plus and not getting lost in plugins.
Old 26th February 2012
Gear Head

I just got it.. But from the reviews sounds like it has an easier working flow...
Old 26th February 2012
Gear Nut

I don't about working flows (all DAWs that i have used seem the same to me, you'll have to learn them) but it surely sounds great. I have been trying out the demo now a few weeks. I have one issue still that prevents me to buy it: there is no full latency compensation in the Busses. The first DAW that sounds good to me out of the box
Old 2nd May 2014
Gear Addict

I guess ill try it now….. $20
NO BRAINER DEAL : Harrison Mixbus

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search