The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Are my ears lying? Does Mixbus really sound this good?
Old 20th August 2020
Gear Maniac

Are my ears lying? Does Mixbus really sound this good?

I downloaded the 32C demo and I imported some stems from a track I made in Reason. I kept Reason open and went back and forth and I couldn't believe what I was hearing. Reason sounded cold and sterile. The Stems in Mixbus were warm and lively. This was with zero EQ and Compression. Just imported. Is this what you guys are hearing too? I had read that Mixbus has a sound, but I had no idea it would be profound. Granted, Reason is a bit sterile by nature. I will experiment with a track from Logic tonight. Just thought I would check in with users to hear your thoughts on the "Mixbus Sound"
Old 20th August 2020
Gear Nut

I've been recording and mixing on Harrison Consoles for over 40 years and a Mixbus user from ver 1.
It's the closest to analog DAW I have heard.
Welcome aboard.
Old 21st August 2020
Gear Maniac

I downloaded the midi file to allow my Console 1 to control Mixbus. I'm really inspired by what I'm hearing and now controlling with my C1. I have a lot of studying to do to really take advantage of it all. Does Harrison ever have sales?
Old 3rd September 2020
Gear Maniac

On sale this weekend for $99. Time to buy!
Old 30th September 2020 | Show parent
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofolk View Post
On sale this weekend for $99. Time to buy!
is this Sale still going on ??? also: was this sale for 32c ??? thank you john
Old 5th October 2020
Lives for gear

is it just me or is it 19$ right now???

is it worth it?
Old 12th October 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by neofolk View Post
I downloaded the 32C demo and I imported some stems from a track I made in Reason. I kept Reason open and went back and forth and I couldn't believe what I was hearing. Reason sounded cold and sterile. The Stems in Mixbus were warm and lively. This was with zero EQ and Compression. Just imported. Is this what you guys are hearing too? I had read that Mixbus has a sound, but I had no idea it would be profound. Granted, Reason is a bit sterile by nature. I will experiment with a track from Logic tonight. Just thought I would check in with users to hear your thoughts on the "Mixbus Sound"
I found that as long as you don't use the busses and EQs and hit the 2bus too hard, there's no difference between 32c and Cubase. The sound is in the saturation on the busses and in the channel EQ.
You can easily test that: use the same tracks/stems in Reaper and 32c, keep all faders at zero, use the same panning (only center, hard left or right) and bounce. Do the same with all faders down -9db in both. In 32c, route all tracks straight to the 2bus (default) and keep EQs disengaged.
Open both mixes in a new session in whatever DAW and flip phase on one. If you hear something, that's the difference. Most likely, the difference in the -9db mixes will be close to or non-existent.
To be clear: I love 32c, don't want to prove it has no mojo. It has, but in certain spots.

PS: Oh, and check you use the same pan law in both. 32c uses -3db.
Old 12th October 2020 | Show parent
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSchlomo View Post
I found that as long as you don't use the busses and EQs and hit the 2bus too hard, there's no difference between 32c and Cubase. The sound is in the saturation on the busses and in the channel EQ.
You can easily test that: use the same tracks/stems in Reaper and 32c, keep all faders at zero, use the same panning (only center, hard left or right) and bounce. Do the same with all faders down -9db in both. In 32c, route all tracks straight to the 2bus (default) and keep EQs disengaged.
Open both mixes in a new session in whatever DAW and flip phase on one. If you hear something, that's the difference. Most likely, the difference in the -9db mixes will be close to or non-existent.
To be clear: I love 32c, don't want to prove it has no mojo. It has, but in certain spots.

PS: Oh, and check you use the same pan law in both. 32c uses -3db.
cool, i watched someone on youtube do the Phase Flip and until you added some Tape Mojo / Saturation it Nulls perfectly .. as i assume most other DAW would as well .. that say we are all working on the same PLaying Field !!!
Old 13th October 2020 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh1192 View Post
cool, i watched someone on youtube do the Phase Flip and until you added some Tape Mojo / Saturation it Nulls perfectly .. as i assume most other DAW would as well .. that say we are all working on the same PLaying Field !!!
Yeah, the magic of Mixbus (and 32c especially) lies in the busses and EQs. I often find mixes come together faster in 32c. And fwiw, its hardware delay compensation is much more accurate than most of the competition.
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

I spoke with the company and you have to actually Apply eq, compression and so on before any colour is imparted on the sound. If all you did was load the stems in and nothing else then yes, your ears are lying to you.
Old 5 days ago | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by David 123 View Post
I spoke with the company and you have to actually Apply eq, compression and so on before any colour is imparted on the sound. If all you did was load the stems in and nothing else then yes, your ears are lying to you.
Yes, what I said above. But you forgot the busses. If you null a clean against a bussed mix, you hear the loud transients getting shaved off and a tiny bit of THD.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear
Your ears are lying if you are listening to the pure stems with no processing.
📝 Reply