The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
v6 coming soon!
Old 8th February 2020
v6 coming soon!

v6 is coming - and I really liked what I saw in the announcement video.

Seems Harrison listened carefully again. If they only would be the faith in their customer's computer horsepower to add at least four more busses. But Ben promised to finally make utility busses latency compensated, so if that also comes with v6, it's perfect.
Old 8th February 2020
Gear Nut

Yes, I'm liking the higher contrast channelstrip EQ graphics; looking forward to seeing a complete list of updates/improvements. If they can solve some long-standing stability bugs I'll be pleased.
Old 11th February 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Brilliant, thanks for posting this!
Old 11th February 2020
Lives for gear

It's out now. $79 upgrade price.
Old 11th February 2020
Gear Guru
Looks like you can finally read the track names......What a concept! Huge miss on the last update.......
Old 12th February 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardis View Post
Looks like you can finally read the track names......What a concept! Huge miss on the last update.......
There's a lot more flexibility now to cater for small resolutions which should be great for you.
Old 12th February 2020
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSchlomo View Post
There's a lot more flexibility now to cater for small resolutions which should be great for you.
Yeah long suffering user since 2.5! what sold me is laid out like a mixer and the sound. I actually liked the gray look better and the Darth Vader look with small buttons and layout is not great. The plug in area is larger than the working area proportionally. I'd rather have a roll over for them since I know pretty much what I'm putting on.

Ben and support was what kept me in. They are great guys and really responsive. I do like that Harrison makes legendary consoles and the open architecture thing. I do work on a laptop by necessity so looking forward to this!
Old 12th February 2020
Gear Maniac

Where did you see the upgrade price of $79? I received an email, and I think it said $150.
Old 12th February 2020
Lives for gear

The new GUI is nice. Does the reworked engine sound different/better, not that it can get much better?
Old 12th February 2020
Gear Guru
What? Is there an upgrade price? Man that'd suck.....
Old 12th February 2020
Has always been between new numbered releases. Every update within the same version number is free, every new major version with a higher number has to be paid. That's pretty common for all manufacturers. My upgrade price from Cubase 9.5 to 10.5 has been higher than 79 dollars, for example. And yes, Harrison support is outstanding. Found a bug in v6, pretty sure there's a fix coming very soon.
Old 12th February 2020
Gear Guru
I think the price for regular users is $19- 32C is more. FWIW regular users will need to wait a month or so for the update which is too bad. Ben is scary, replied to my question in under an hour.....!
Old 18th February 2020
Gear Head

I see they added PDC for utility busses, does V6 also have Side Chain PDC?
Old 18th February 2020
Don't think so, but maybe I didn't see.
Old 20th February 2020
Gear Nut

Just checking out the new V6 now. Looking good! Seems like it still doesn't support VST3, though? Seriously??? Maybe I'm missing something...
Old 25th February 2020
Lives for gear

You're not. It doesn't.
Old 25th February 2020
Lives for gear

What happened to the mixbus forum? If I click on any of those links, all I get is a downloaded file.
Old 25th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicenzajay View Post
What happened to the mixbus forum? If I click on any of those links, all I get is a downloaded file.
Right? I don't stop by that regularly, but I have been stopping to see how v6 is doing in the user community...and started getting that...
Old 26th February 2020
Lives for gear

Does anyone know where the sidechain button went?
Old 26th February 2020
Lives for gear

@zohomo: when we updated the latency-compensation engine to accommodate all paths (including plugin sidechain paths), we decided to remove the built-in sidechain feature on the mixbuses. Since they didn't have separate attack/release controls, the mixbus compressor was not as well suited to that task.

The workaround is to either (a) finish your mix in v5, or (b) install a sidechain compressor, like the provided a-comp, on the mixbus and click "pin connections" to select the track(s) you want to feed into the sidechain.

@ pop man: our forum went offline for a few days, due to a poorly-executed server migration by our web hosting service. It took us a few days to fix the issue and also recover some missing days of posts. We're back up now!

-Ben at Harrison
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Audio editing tools and MIDI as well as composing workflow tools in HMB are not modern. LUNA is the nail in the coffin. I hate to see it. The polarity optimization should be sold for 79 as it’s the best part of the DAW. I would purchase just that functionality. I’ll still import live drums into HMB for this purpose but as a DAW it’s never going to catch up to the lightning fast workflows of modern composers, producers, and artists. When you look at user numbers this DAW is a niche product trying to hold on to people’s nostalgia for recording through a console to tape.

Guess what? No one cares enough anymore. Software is able to duplicate your functionality. Airwindows is free for Christ’s sake.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru
Airwindows isn't free, it only is if you don't want to contribute which you should do.....
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Ally View Post
Audio editing tools and MIDI as well as composing workflow tools in HMB are not modern. LUNA is the nail in the coffin. I hate to see it. The polarity optimization should be sold for 79 as it’s the best part of the DAW. I would purchase just that functionality. I’ll still import live drums into HMB for this purpose but as a DAW it’s never going to catch up to the lightning fast workflows of modern composers, producers, and artists. When you look at user numbers this DAW is a niche product trying to hold on to people’s nostalgia for recording through a console to tape.

Guess what? No one cares enough anymore. Software is able to duplicate your functionality. Airwindows is free for Christ’s sake.
Lighten up. If you can't hear the separation of tracks, then maybe any Daw will do for you.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
but as a DAW it’s never going to catch up to the lightning fast workflows of modern composers, producers, and artists. When you look at user numbers this DAW is a niche product trying to hold on to people’s nostalgia for recording through a console to tape.
And who ever said it should catch up to those workflows? There's a world of competing DAWs out there, but there's room for niche products like Mixbus that appeal to specific users for specific reasons. For some of us, Mixbus is the perfect tool; I've used Reaper, Logic Pro X, Studio One, and Sonar, and finally settled on Ardour and Mixbus as my DAWs of choice (except for MIDI, for which I use either Reaper or Logic).

A niche product can be financially sustainable for decades as long as there are enough users to make it profitable. Look at Apple, whose computers account for a little below 10% of of the global PC market and were much, much lower than that during the years before the iPhone was invented.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:

For mixing only it's an awesome DAW with an excellent and very fast workflow. I agree that it lacks in some areas, especially for composers, but it also has some unique features which are way ahead of the competition. You just have to learn it to unlock its potential.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru
I do like the fact that it was developed by a console maker and the layout other than the track labeling, is great. I don't use MIDI so no problems there and support is phenominal......
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

I've finally have had a chance to put V6 through its paces. Gotta say, this is a marked improvement over V5 in many areas. Smoother playhead scroll wheel activity, better graphics, intelligent (if still imperfect) GUI sizing options, and of greatest importance:

- stability seems rock solid. No crashes or weirdnesses thus far, including its previous inability to do an AES Digital Insert via my LIO-8 interface without crashing. This now works. Interfacing is quite snappy for all key functions.
- the overall sound is better. I don't know why, but it sounds clearer and somehow slightly more expansive than the previous version. I'm always working at 96K and Mixbus V6 is stunning at this sample rate, whilst CPU usage seems to be under control.
- the thing I always notice in doing comparisons with my other current favourite DAW (Reaper), is that ambience is so much clearer on Mixbus. They've somehow figured out how to reveal 3D depth in their software that makes other DAWs sound a bit 2D by comparison. This hasn't changed in V6, it's just as nice as v5 in this regard. My Bricasti M7 sings through Mixbus more than in any other software.
- don't know whether it's the dither treatment per track or what, but there is a 'smooth solidity' to every audio track in Mixbus that isn't present elsewhere. Don't know how else to describe it.
-and the icing on the cake: they finally got reverbs/delays to smoothly continue their tails/echoes when you stop the transport

Even if I wasn't going to be using this DAW for mixing I'd still be buying the upgrade as an attempt to financially support a very noble DAW development project. Harrison has figured out how to make digital mixing sound effortlessly excellent; it can be done in other DAWs, but requires so much additional work and plugins and even then, I always seem to prefer my Mixbus mix. Thank god they've continued developing this DAW! $79 upgrade fee en route from this corner...

Last edited by petergreeny; 3 weeks ago at 06:41 PM..
Old 3 weeks ago
Well put, Peter, I second everything you say.

Only thing is an annoying bug introduced in v6 - they are already aware of, so I'm confident they will soon release a fix. If you deselect the shared routing in a mix group, MB will automatically select it again.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSchlomo View Post
Well put, Peter, I second everything you say.

Only thing is an annoying bug introduced in v6 - they are already aware of, so I'm confident they will soon release a fix. If you deselect the shared routing in a mix group, MB will automatically select it again.
Thanks - hadn't encountered that problem but did notice the low band frequencies on the channelstrip EQ are improperly labelled in the track name window when you turn the knob (but this new labelling identifying frequencies on the fly is a lovely improvement!). They currently go from 379 Hz to 8.29k when in shelf mode (but they go as normal from 40Hz to 600 Hz in peak mode). EDIT: This is also an issue on the high shelf band.

Last edited by petergreeny; 3 weeks ago at 10:56 PM..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search