The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
v6 coming soon!
Old 15th March 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted e2a9217 View Post
Thanks - hadn't encountered that problem but did notice the low band frequencies on the channelstrip EQ are improperly labelled in the track name window when you turn the knob (but this new labelling identifying frequencies on the fly is a lovely improvement!). They currently go from 379 Hz to 8.29k when in shelf mode (but they go as normal from 40Hz to 600 Hz in peak mode). EDIT: This is also an issue on the high shelf band.
I thought something was off with the high shelf frequency displayed, but didn't care because until then I just had to use my ears, too. Have you told 'em? I'm sure they will fix it asap.
Old 15th March 2020
Deleted e2a9217
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSchlomo View Post
I thought something was off with the high shelf frequency displayed, but didn't care because until then I just had to use my ears, too. Have you told 'em? I'm sure they will fix it asap.
I've not mentioned it to them, but will send a note shortly in case they are not aware of it. As you say, it's only a visual problem; sonically the EQs work as expected. And they sound superb.
Old 16th March 2020
Deleted e2a9217
Update from Harrison's prompt customer support concerning the high/low shelf EQ values. In fact, they are correct as is, per the following explanation they sent:

"You will see some odd values in the frequency & gain values; remember that this circuit dates back to 1975 and it is not fully-parametric. It was "voiced" very carefully to get the shapes they wanted, with minimal controls.

Here's the note from our manual:
NOTE: In the original 32C EQ, and the Mixbus emulation of it, the frequency and gain knobs are labeled as if the “bell” knob were engaged. In shelving mode, the available gain increases to 18dB, and the frequencies are different (because it is a filter corner freq, not a bell center freq). The default mode is shelving. This leads to the incongruous situation that the knob is labeled for a mode that is not the default, and the text display does not match the tickmarks around the knob."

So, no problem at all and a quirky but cool, vintage-correct implementation. I dig it!
Old 16th March 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by petergreeny View Post
Update from Harrison's prompt customer support concerning the high/low shelf EQ values. In fact, they are correct as is, per the following explanation they sent:

"You will see some odd values in the frequency & gain values; remember that this circuit dates back to 1975 and it is not fully-parametric. It was "voiced" very carefully to get the shapes they wanted, with minimal controls.

Here's the note from our manual:
NOTE: In the original 32C EQ, and the Mixbus emulation of it, the frequency and gain knobs are labeled as if the “bell” knob were engaged. In shelving mode, the available gain increases to 18dB, and the frequencies are different (because it is a filter corner freq, not a bell center freq). The default mode is shelving. This leads to the incongruous situation that the knob is labeled for a mode that is not the default, and the text display does not match the tickmarks around the knob."

So, no problem at all and a quirky but cool, vintage-correct implementation. I dig it!
Absolutely. Who cares about values when the sound is there?
📝 Reply