The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Should I worry about "slightly" clipped supplied files?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Should I worry about "slightly" clipped supplied files?

This question is not particular to HMB, but I couldn't see a general section. (Admin please move if appropriate).

So, should I worry about "slightly" clipped supplied files?

I've got some supplied files and have realized that there are some tracks where there is minor clipping. The files were recorded that way and I can't do anything about it.

It's not bad, and I can't hear it. There's maybe around 10 "clipping" regions/areas over a 5 minute track. The clipped "transients" last for around 8 to 10 samples or so at 48kHz.

As I said, I can't hear it now, BUT I'm wondering if it could cause issues in the final mix. I use ITB for limit/compress etc. therefore, would these transient clips cause a software plugin to react differently?

If I manually edit the clipped regions in a destructive "wave editor" like Cool Edit Pro (now Adobe Audition), then that seems like a better way. I've done this already to one track, but it does take some time. A real PITA.

I probably could have already manually all edited those regions by now instead of posting this, but for future reference, is it really worth the bother?? What's the best way to deal with this issue?

Cheers.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I would say, yes.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Thanks Sam. Can you extrapolate why you say Yes?
Old 4 weeks ago
While it certainly isn't good practice, if it doesn't sound crapped out to you, just move ahead. Rerecording ain't an option anyway, right? ;-)
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSchlomo View Post
While it certainly isn't good practice, if it doesn't sound crapped out to you, just move ahead. Rerecording ain't an option anyway, right? ;-)
Thanks Schlomo. Initially I thought it was something that I had done in the gain structure. But no, it was the original imported files!!!. Which now is really good that HMB shows me that issue - Now I can decide which way (if at all) to fix it.

And you are correct: Re-Recording is not an option

Nice one HMB , and thanks for your input Schlomo.

Last edited by stixstudios; 4 weeks ago at 06:06 PM.. Reason: Unknown.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stixstudios View Post
Thanks Sam. Can you extrapolate why you say Yes?
Clipping has an impact on the track and mix. If you can hear it I think its logical to say anyone can hear it. Trying to hide it in the mix is never a good idea. If you can zoom in to sample level and fix it that is what I would do. Even deleting that tiny section is a better thing to hide in the mix than the clipping, imho.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

There are declipping tools available (e.g., in Izotope RX) that try to reconstruct the waveform to what the software thinks it should have been; they work with varying degrees of success but if your files are only "slightly" clipped it could work. See https://www.izotope.com/en/products/...s/de-clip.html
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradh View Post
There are declipping tools available (e.g., in Izotope RX) that try to reconstruct the waveform to what the software thinks it should have been; they work with varying degrees of success but if your files are only "slightly" clipped it could work. See https://www.izotope.com/en/products/...s/de-clip.html
+1

Use a good declipper, if available.

If not then it can still be OK - assuming there is digital clipping at 0dBFS in the files then you'll be using the trim or clip gain to pull the files down by 10-12dB before starting your mix anyway, and subsequent processing with EQ, compression and reverb will tend to smooth over those clipped areas quite unobtrusively.

Good luck!
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Thanks everyone.

It's probably a case of when I "SAW" the clipping in my DAW, then I HEARD it!!! But it wasn't obvious to my ears, as in, I couldn't really hear it unless I concentrated... (perhaps psychological)?

Therefore, I ended up adding some slight pitch shift and reverb (as suggested) to the track.

All Good. According to my brain and ears, I can't hear it now. And that is the way it stays.

Cheers.

Last edited by stixstudios; 2 weeks ago at 03:31 PM.. Reason: Clarification.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search