The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Pan automation behaves opposite to other DAWS
Old 3rd October 2019
  #1
Pan automation behaves opposite to other DAWS

Here's a stereo file with pan drawn in an automation lane:



When played, the pan starts from the right channel.

Compared to other daws I've used, this is counter-intuitive. It makes more sense when pan follows where the pan is. In other words, in the attached link, the pan is OVER the left channel, then over the right channel, but HMB does it the opposite way. It should play pan from left to right!!

Unless there is an option in preferences, I guess I'll just have to live with it. It's something I use often, so it's a bit hard to get used to.

Cheers.

Last edited by stixstudios; 3rd October 2019 at 11:46 AM.. Reason: Correction. Not that it makes any difference.
Old 22nd October 2019
  #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by stixstudios View Post
Here's a stereo file with pan drawn in an automation lane:



When played, the pan starts from the right channel.

Compared to other daws I've used, this is counter-intuitive. It makes more sense when pan follows where the pan is. In other words, in the attached link, the pan is OVER the left channel, then over the right channel, but HMB does it the opposite way. It should play pan from left to right!!

Unless there is an option in preferences, I guess I'll just have to live with it. It's something I use often, so it's a bit hard to get used to.

Cheers.
I'm not sure what you mean, pan automation is no different than in other DAWs.
Old 22nd October 2019
  #3
Gear Head
 
MattTheFurniture's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSchlomo View Post
I'm not sure what you mean, pan automation is no different than in other DAWs.
In Protools, Reaper and Vegas it is:

top = left
bottom = right

The OP is saying that HMB is opposite that.
Old 22nd October 2019
  #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTheFurniture View Post
In Protools, Reaper and Vegas it is:

top = left
bottom = right

The OP is saying that HMB is opposite that.
Absolutely that is what the OP (ME) is saying!!. And it is true.
Whether you like it that way is debatable. I prefer it the other way like most other DAW's.

Simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSchlomo View Post
I'm not sure what you mean, pan automation is no different than in other DAWs.
If you have used a pan automation lane in a DAW, then you would understand.

In any case, I have pointed this issue out to Harrison:
http://mixbus.harrisonconsoles.com/f...read-8259.html

It's still up for discussion, but most people who actually understand the usage have agreed that: top = left and bottom = right. The opposite is not the end of the world, but it takes some getting used to.
Old 22nd October 2019
  #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by stixstudios View Post
Absolutely that is what the OP (ME) is saying!!. And it is true.
Whether you like it that way is debatable. I prefer it the other way like most other DAW's.

Simple.



If you have used a pan automation lane in a DAW, then you would understand.

In any case, I have pointed this issue out to Harrison:
http://mixbus.harrisonconsoles.com/f...read-8259.html

It's still up for discussion, but most people who actually understand the usage have agreed that: top = left and bottom = right. The opposite is not the end of the world, but it takes some getting used to.
I'm no moron, I just misunderstood and wanted to help. I have used pan automation in many DAWs. No problem with the Mixbus order as it's clearly indicated, although now I see what you mean. And yes, a common standard is always preferable.
Old 23rd October 2019
  #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSchlomo View Post
I'm no moron, I just misunderstood and wanted to help. I have used pan automation in many DAWs. No problem with the Mixbus order as it's clearly indicated, although now I see what you mean. And yes, a common standard is always preferable.
I never thought you were a moron. I just wanted to point out something.

I use automation lanes a lot, very much, a lot. Therefore, this is an important issue for me.
Old 23rd October 2019
  #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by stixstudios View Post
I never thought you were a moron. I just wanted to point out something.

I use automation lanes a lot, very much, a lot. Therefore, this is an important issue for me.
Mixbus is based on Ardour. The knob behaviour they use is a linear way from all the way down to all the way up. That's why the EQ shows no frequencies, but percentage of that way, 100% being fully clockwise. Ben explained somewhere why that is. In case of the pan, this would explain that behaviour. I agree that left is usually on top, but I never gave the way it is in MB a second thought and used it as it is.
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 52 views: 11298
Avatar for BenJah
BenJah 25th September 2008
replies: 59 views: 12262
Avatar for ayskura
ayskura 27th March 2018
replies: 2637 views: 510382
Avatar for JSchlomo
JSchlomo 13th September 2019
replies: 1296 views: 148928
Avatar for heraldo_jones
heraldo_jones 1st February 2016
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump