The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Monitor/Screen Resolution MB32C and MB5
Old 3rd September 2019
Gear Addict

Monitor/Screen Resolution MB32C and MB5

I stumbled across Harrison Mixbus yesterday from a thread I read on this forum, so I decided to check it out.

Wow! I love the concept. Similar to a physical consol with eq and compression on all channels pre-loaded. I'm only an amateur and have only used a few "real" consoles in the past, but this DAW makes a lot more sense to me than any other DAW I have ever used in the past.

However, because of all the info (knobs/faders/buttons etc.) I'm finding it hard to see it all on my monitor. The max resolution I have is 1680x1050px, which is a bit of a struggle to see everything properly - the text is very small and crowded.

I'm not going to blame the software, because I've realised that it's pretty much impossible to show all that info clearly on the one screen at once. When I look at my small Mackie 820i mixer and imagine if that was shown on my monitor. I would have to reduce the image to fit on the screen, then the issue becomes very clear (or not). That IS the reality!!

Neverthless, I've come to the conclusion that I'll need a bigger monitor and better resolution. Although, considering the very reasonable cost of MB, it seems almost absurdly crazy (apart from the normal crazy) to spend a lot of money on just a huge monitor.

Back in the 90's Apple Mac had a monitor that could swivel to 90deg. therefore making it portrait mode - it was very useful. That's the sort of thing that's needed with Mixbus. 2 Monitors side-by-side, but in portrait/vertical mode. 1680px resolution sideways is a "waste of space" on my current monitor.

Mad ideas aside, what Monitor and Screen Resolution are you guys using?
Old 3rd September 2019
Lives for gear

In the Preferences, click on Appearance. You can adjust the mixer strip scale there (I have mine at 140%, for example), and you can also click the "warn at application start if the scaling factor might be too large for the current screen" box.
Old 3rd September 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradh View Post
In the Preferences, click on Appearance. You can adjust the mixer strip scale there (I have mine at 140%, for example), and you can also click the "warn at application start if the scaling factor might be too large for the current screen" box.
Hey that's really good Bradh and much better and much appreciated, but....

The problem now becomes having to "scroll" the window up/down. I use the mouse wheel for that and it's too easy to hover over a knob and accidentally change a value without knowing.

What makes it more precarious is that MB32 doesn't really "highlight" the knob (or control) that you hover over, therefore it's not so obvious compared to MB5. But it's a definate improvement and I think I can work with it.

Thankyou, but I reckon nothing will beat a bigger screen.
Old 3rd September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stixstudios View Post

Thankyou, but I reckon nothing will beat a bigger screen.
I think that's right. A lot of people use 32" monitors with Mixbus. There are a few threads about it on the Harrison Mixbus forums: e.g., http://mixbus.harrisonconsoles.com/f...read-5056.html

I use it on a 27-inch 2560 x 1440 monitor and it's fine.
Old 3rd September 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradh View Post
... I use it on a 27-inch 2560 x 1440 monitor and it's fine.
Thanks again bradh.

I guess I'll be sussing out prices on a 27inch monitor and take it from there.

Like I said, I'm an amateur. But I really do like the HMB workflow. Hopefully I can get my "ideal" DAW together without too much cost.

Cheers.
Old 3rd September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stixstudios View Post
I guess I'll be sussing out prices on a 27inch monitor and take it from there.
I'm using a Dell Ultrasharp 27" monitor, which wasn't too expensive, and it's great. And yes, the Mixbus workflow is very nice! I do find that there are some things it can't do that other DAWs do (e.g., spectral editing, which is available in Reaper), but there are also things Mixbus does that others don't (or don't do as well).
Old 3rd September 2019
Gear Nut

I run 32C on a 24" 1920 x 1080 monitor. I would not want to go any smaller!
Old 3rd September 2019
Gear Addict

Cheers.

I'm currently using Reaper (licensed). But when I came across HMB, then I thought that I finally found my DAW. I just like the way it works. Bigger screen is needed.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

My new 32" (2560 x 1440px) monitor certainly helps

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search