The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Harrison Mixbus Upgrade Policy
Old 9th August 2019
Here for the gear

Harrison Mixbus Upgrade Policy

Conversation with Mixbus support on 5th August 2019:

Hi

I keep getting emails from you about buying 32C, latest is anniversary offer for $79.

That’s all very well, but I already have v.4, and I have never seen an upgrade offer that has tempted me to move to v.5.

I just find it annoying that you are discounting these things for first time users, but leaving people who have already spent their money with you high and dry.

Or am I missing something?

Regards

--------------------------------

Hi

The normal price to upgrade to Mixbus32C is $149, at any time. However we often run sales that are better than this price for everybody to enjoy, such as the one you're referencing.

We encourage any and all users to pick the deal that is best for them.

Best,
Mixbus

-------------------------------

That’s a truly appalling response.

Let’s cut the marketing flim flam. ‘for everybody to enjoy’—what’s there to enjoy for someone who has already put their money your way? A marginal improvement.

Someone who is a first-time buyer has nothing, and gets the full program for their $79.

If I pay the same amount, I get what? A 10-20% improvement? Let’s say even 25%? Which brings the money I would have put your way for my ‘enjoyment’ up to over $340!!!!

in January 2016 I bought Mixbus v3 for $48

On 3rd March 2017 I upgraded to 32c v.3 for $118.80

On 6th July 2017 I upgraded to 32c v.4 for $94.80

So I’ve already spent a total of $261.60 helping you develop your program and paying your staff wages and you have the gall to tell me to ‘enjoy' upgrading to the latest version for another $79, the same price as a first-time buyer can get the full program? That is an insult.

And you don’t even have the courtesy to give your name?

I am beyond shocked to receive such a cynical response as this from an established, serious company in 2019.

The deal that is best for me is no deal. Why would I show any further loyalty to a company that shows zero loyalty to its previous customers?

You have just created an instant enemy, in a world of social media and forums where reputation is paramount.

Have a great day, Mixbus!

Last edited by unafraid; 9th August 2019 at 04:28 AM.. Reason: Wanted to include the date of conversation
Old 9th August 2019
Here for the gear

Re: Harrison Mixbus Upgrade Policy

I didn't receive a reply to this, and forgot about it for a few days, until now.
Old 9th August 2019
Gear Head

Personally, and I say this as an owner and regular used of V.4 who hasn't upgraded to V.5...

Harrison can charge what they want. For the money you've given them, they don't owe you anything other than the products you paid for. It's not like they've taken V.4 away from you. It's also comparatively a low price anyway, in the DAW world. Just looks over-entitled to me, especially when you throw your toys out of the pram and actually threaten them. I'm not sure I'd have responded to that either.

I'm sure there'll be a temptation to dismiss my attitude and write me off as being a fan-boy or some-such, but I agree, there should be a better upgrade path and haven't forked out for v.5 because of it. I just don't think ranting and raving paints you in a very good light.
Old 9th August 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post

Harrison can charge what they want. For the money you've given them, they don't owe you anything other than the products you paid for. It's not like they've taken V.4 away from you. It's also comparatively a low price anyway, in the DAW world. Just looks over-entitled to me, especially when you throw your toys out of the pram and actually threaten them. I'm not sure I'd have responded to that either...
I agree, there should be a better upgrade path and haven't forked out for v.5 because of it. I just don't think ranting and raving paints you in a very good light.
I wasn't trying to be painted in a good light. I know what DAWs cost, having paid for Logic Pro X, Samplitude, Cubase Pro 10, Cakewalk/SONAR, Studio One 4, and Reaper as well as Mixbus, and hundreds of plugins over the years.

I was ranting and raving, as you put it, because I was really angry. It was the cynicism of the word 'enjoy' which got me. That and just signing off 'Mixbus' rather than putting a name. No doubt you would have responded differently. Or maybe not. Someone else's pain is always easier for us to bear than our own.

The bottom line is that anyone buying Mixbus v.5 right now will probably have to pay at least the same again or more for an upgrade to v.6 when it comes along.

Yes, Harrison can charge what they want, and they do. They can run their business just exactly how they like. I wasn't entitled to a reply to that last email, and I don't feel entitled to anything else from them. However, I am entitled to relay the conversation here, and I have. People will draw their own conclusions. Some will agree with you, some won't.

It's their business, sure. However, I find that most audio software companies are really helpful and actually care what their customers think and value anyone who supports them. Audified are an example of a company who went beyond the call of duty for me recently, and I'm grateful to them for that. Anyone in business knows that cash flow, repeat buyers and word of mouth are what keep them in business. Everyone except Harrison, from the look of it...
Old 9th August 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
Personally, and I say this as an owner and regular used of V.4 who hasn't upgraded to V.5...
I'm not sure I'd have responded to that either.
That is missing the point, because if they'd responded to my original email with something like the response below, which I just wrote, I would probably have upgraded:

INVENTED REPLY

Hi

Thank you for being a loyal customer. We appreciate your business and your confidence in our products until now.

We also appreciate your concerns, but sometimes with the evolution of products, the pricing policy has to change for various reasons, and we have had to move to a different strategy from the one we had before.

However, as you can see, we are offering a current price which costs less than the upgrades you have paid for in the past. Please try the demo if you haven't already, and we are sure you'll agree that v.5 is worth every cent. We would love to know what you think, because we stand by our products.

Best wishes,
Bert, Customer Service, Mixbus.

END OF INVENTED REPLY
Old 12th August 2019
Lives for gear

All,

It is my understanding that an upgrade for $79 is available to existing users by default.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

@ unafraid : this is a case of human error, sorry!

Whoever wrote your reply must have been in a hurry, and they didn't take time to learn that you already own a prior version of 32C. From the email, it is clear that they thought you owned the regular Mixbus.

If you own 32C, you should have received multiple offers to upgrade to the latest version 5 for $79, and get a free license for our LegacyQ plugin ($89 by itself, normally).

We do have very aggressive pricing and lots of promotions. Right now we are running a particularly big one, since it is Mixbus's 10th anniversary. Still, it's not as good an offer as prior customers like yourself can get.

If you'll please write us again, and ask for "Ben", I'm happy to make it right.

Sorry for the confusion,
-Ben at Harrison

P.S. regarding the word "enjoy", I don't think they meant it like you interpreted it. But I'll suggest that we don't use that term in that context again.

Last edited by BenLoftis; 4 weeks ago at 02:45 PM..
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Just to say that I have been in touch with Ben as requested, and they have sorted it out, and I have upgraded.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search