The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Comping with playlists in Mixbus
Old 29th March 2019
Lives for gear

Comping with playlists in Mixbus

I know about comping with layers, which works well if everything was recorded to a click track and aligned on the grid, but almost everything I work with is more free-form and takes in layers rarely line up. I saw in the manual that some people use a playlist for each take and then comp from there, but I'm having trouble figuring out how to do that -- as far as I can tell there's no "playlist view" where I can see the different takes (with layers of course I can explode the view and see them all).

So my question is: do you set up a playlist as the comp (aka the "destination" playlist) and copy and paste sections of the other playlists to it? Or do you create a new track and copy/paste sections from playlists to it? It's not really explained in the manual and I'm having trouble visualizing how the process works.
Old 10th April 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradh View Post
I know about comping with layers, which works well if everything was recorded to a click track and aligned on the grid, but almost everything I work with is more free-form and takes in layers rarely line up. I saw in the manual that some people use a playlist for each take and then comp from there, but I'm having trouble figuring out how to do that -- as far as I can tell there's no "playlist view" where I can see the different takes (with layers of course I can explode the view and see them all).

So my question is: do you set up a playlist as the comp (aka the "destination" playlist) and copy and paste sections of the other playlists to it? Or do you create a new track and copy/paste sections from playlists to it? It's not really explained in the manual and I'm having trouble visualizing how the process works.
Not exactly what you're looking for as this is not related to playlists per se, but maybe it helps as it demonstrates the use of stacking different pieces on a single track and how to align them in overlay mode:
YouTube

If you knew all that already, nevermind.
Old 10th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSchlomo View Post

If you knew all that already, nevermind.
Yes, thanks, I did know that; it's the normal way of doing comps in Ardour/Mixbus. It's the alternative (using playlists) that I was curious about. I've read that some people prefer playlists for comping and now that I've experimented with it myself I can see that the most efficient approach would be to create a separate track for the comp rather than creating a new playlist called "comp" within the track and copying and pasting sections to it.

I like the concept of playlists in Mixbus, it's similar to snapshots but just for individual tracks. So you can have multiple versions of any track, each saved as a playlist, and you can alternate between them.

I'm just not sure I understand the advantage, if any, of comping with playlists vs. comping with layers.
Old 10th April 2019
Quote:
Yes, thanks, I did know that; it's the normal way of doing comps in Ardour/Mixbus. It's the alternative (using playlists) that I was curious about. I've read that some people prefer playlists for comping and now that I've experimented with it myself I can see that the most efficient approach would be to create a separate track for the comp rather than creating a new playlist called "comp" within the track and copying and pasting sections to it.

I like the concept of playlists in Mixbus, it's similar to snapshots but just for individual tracks. So you can have multiple versions of any track, each saved as a playlist, and you can alternate between them.

I'm just not sure I understand the advantage, if any, of comping with playlists vs. comping with layers.
Did you contact Nik or Ben at Harrison directly? They are always willing to help and explain.
Old 11th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSchlomo View Post
Did you contact Nik or Ben at Harrison directly? They are always willing to help and explain.
Good idea, I'm on the Mixbus forum. Ben has said there before that "some people prefer to do comps using playlists" but never really talked about the advantages or disadvantages of either approach, only that he prefers playlists. But I'll raise the question (I've seen it come up in some previous discussions there so will append my question to an existing thread).
Old 11th April 2019
Quote:
Good idea, I'm on the Mixbus forum. Ben has said there before that "some people prefer to do comps using playlists" but never really talked about the advantages or disadvantages of either approach, only that he prefers playlists. But I'll raise the question (I've seen it come up in some previous discussions there so will append my question to an existing thread).
Whenever I mailed the guys directly at support, I had an answer in less than 24 hours.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search