The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How's Mixbus' popularity now? March 2019
Old 17th March 2019
  #1
Gear Head
 
thewonders's Avatar
 

How's Mixbus' popularity now? March 2019

Not a poll or a troll, I'm just curious if MixBus is still being used as much as it was after it came out. When it was released there was the typical hype but soon afterwards people started really liking it and there were comments about how users were so happy with MixBus that they were using it for all of their mixing. Then v3 was released, then v4, and there seemed to be a lot of MixBux users - the Harrison forum was growing and being used more and more. But after v5 popularity seemed (to me) to start waning, and now the Harrison forums have slowed way down, and even here at GS the posts have dropped off. Do you feel that Mixbus is as popular as ever, or do you use it less than before, or have you moved on? Or is everyone waiting for v6?

Last edited by thewonders; 17th March 2019 at 11:12 PM..
Old 18th March 2019
  #2
Lives for gear
 

@ thewonders : Mixbus is growing at a very fast rate now. Any random day is bigger than our big sales days used to be, when it comes to adding new users. Mixbus is also used in schools throughout the world for teaching audio signal flow.

Now that Mixbus is stable and is better understood, there isn't as much intense discussion as there was during the launch. That's a mixed blessing, I guess.

We provide personalized email support from our factory, so people tend to write us directly instead of posting questions on forums etc. That's another mixed blessing for us, but it's great for users.

A lot of the public conversation now happens on our own forum or social-media channels. But we are publishing a Mixbus update this week, and usually this creates some activity on the Gearslutz forums.

Thanks for your continued interest!!!

-Ben
Old 20th March 2019
  #3
Here for the gear
 

RuCo is making a dedicated hardware controller for MIXBUS & 32C that's how popular it is.

I pretty much record direct and edit on MB now, used to record on PT and edit on PT because I knew it well. I only use PT now for legacy material I have.

I still find it hard to beliee how good MB is and once in a while to pinch myself, I try to mix a track on PT and then on MB. MB wins EVERY time for speed and result. I also use fewer external plugins...
Old 20th March 2019
  #4
Lives for gear
 
brucerothwell's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leftygent View Post
RuCo is making a dedicated hardware controller for MIXBUS & 32C that's how popular it is.
It would be nice if there was some more up to date status/story on that.
Old 20th March 2019
  #5
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucerothwell View Post
It would be nice if there was some more up to date status/story on that.
RuCo Mixbus Control Surface Group public group | Facebook
Old 20th March 2019
  #6
Lives for gear
 
brucerothwell's Avatar
 

Quote:
I had seen that before, but before it became a Closed group, and I don't do Facebook.

I've seen some pics, and it looks like a nice controller, but I never see any pics of it have any faders.

Anyone know what that will entail?

1 fader? 8 faders? 16 faders? 32 faders?

16 or 32 would be super nice. (even 24)
Old 20th March 2019
  #7
Lives for gear
 
brucerothwell's Avatar
 

Also, anyone know when more units will be available to order or pre-order?
Old 2nd April 2019
  #9
Gear Nut
 
Garage Rodeo's Avatar
 

Does anyone know which plugins do/ dont work with the paid versions?
I mostly have waves, slate, and IK
Old 2nd April 2019
  #10
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garage Rodeo View Post
Does anyone know which plugins do/ dont work with the paid versions?
I mostly have waves, slate, and IK
I've used waves and IK, but really they all should work.
Old 2nd April 2019
  #11
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garage Rodeo View Post
Does anyone know which plugins do/ dont work with the paid versions?
I mostly have waves, slate, and IK
I've used waves, IK, Expotential Audio, Stillwell, Toneboosters, Valhalla, Pianoteq, fxpansion, jamstix
Old 5th April 2019
  #12
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garage Rodeo View Post
Does anyone know which plugins do/ dont work with the paid versions?
I mostly have waves, slate, and IK
Slate Everything Bundle is working for me using VST format.
Old 5th April 2019
  #13
Gear Guru
Probably be easier to ask what doesn't work...... FWIW everything I own works fine and that's a bunch....!
Old 10th April 2019
  #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenLoftis View Post
@ thewonders : Mixbus is growing at a very fast rate now. Any random day is bigger than our big sales days used to be, when it comes to adding new users. Mixbus is also used in schools throughout the world for teaching audio signal flow.

Now that Mixbus is stable and is better understood, there isn't as much intense discussion as there was during the launch. That's a mixed blessing, I guess.

We provide personalized email support from our factory, so people tend to write us directly instead of posting questions on forums etc. That's another mixed blessing for us, but it's great for users.

A lot of the public conversation now happens on our own forum or social-media channels. But we are publishing a Mixbus update this week, and usually this creates some activity on the Gearslutz forums.

Thanks for your continued interest!!!

-Ben
Great to hear that, Ben. As on many occasions I will use the opportunity to mention that your support is incredible indeed. Always fast, personal, patient and helpful!

By the way: Are there plans for a v6 yet?
Old 27th August 2019
  #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucerothwell View Post
I had seen that before, but before it became a Closed group, and I don't do Facebook.

I've seen some pics, and it looks like a nice controller, but I never see any pics of it have any faders.

Anyone know what that will entail?

1 fader? 8 faders? 16 faders? 32 faders?

16 or 32 would be super nice. (even 24)
Just in case: there's a webstore now under rucoproaudio.com

But it's more or less a channel strip design with just one fader which actually is a pot. For now I'll stick to controlling it with Console1 and a Faderport.
Old 1 week ago
  #16
Gear Nut
possible to upgrade from Mix Bus to 32c?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenLoftis View Post
@ thewonders : Mixbus is growing at a very fast rate now. Any random day is bigger than our big sales days used to be, when it comes to adding new users. Mixbus is also used in schools throughout the world for teaching audio signal flow.

Now that Mixbus is stable and is better understood, there isn't as much intense discussion as there was during the launch. That's a mixed blessing, I guess.

We provide personalized email support from our factory, so people tend to write us directly instead of posting questions on forums etc. That's another mixed blessing for us, but it's great for users.

A lot of the public conversation now happens on our own forum or social-media channels. But we are publishing a Mixbus update this week, and usually this creates some activity on the Gearslutz forums.

Thanks for your continued interest!!!

-Ben
is it possible to upgrade from Mix Bus to Mix Bus 32 C? am not sure if this is possible. Or to use 32c i must buy 32c?

Plus, does the quality of the converters used for recording determine the quality of the output from Mix Bus? The discussion seem to imply that quality of converters do not matter as Mix Bus has its own signature sound?

Again, would i be able to depend only on Mix Bus as my one and only DAW for recording, mixing and mastering? here too, the question is informed by the fact that the discussion sort of imply that it is a no no to record and edit with mixbus and that it is only good for mixing.

thanks in anticipation

Last edited by McNewlove; 1 week ago at 08:17 PM.. Reason: i need to add more enquiry
Old 1 week ago
  #17
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leftygent View Post
RuCo is making a dedicated hardware controller for MIXBUS & 32C that's how popular it is.

I pretty much record direct and edit on MB now, used to record on PT and edit on PT because I knew it well. I only use PT now for legacy material I have.

I still find it hard to beliee how good MB is and once in a while to pinch myself, I try to mix a track on PT and then on MB. MB wins EVERY time for speed and result. I also use fewer external plugins...
Have been reading that it is not particularly advisable to use it for recording and editing and that it shines only in mixing?

Also, does the quality of your converters determine the quality of the sound you will get out of this DAW, since it has its own sound?
Old 1 week ago
  #18
Gear Guru
 
jwh1192's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by McNewlove View Post
Have been reading that it is not particularly advisable to use it for recording and editing and that it shines only in mixing?

Also, does the quality of your converters determine the quality of the sound you will get out of this DAW, since it has its own sound?
may i ask what would make it NOT work for recording ??? latency, punching in and out, ???

i have another thread where i am working through Newbie Issues for myself and a friend back east ..

thank you john
Old 1 week ago
  #19
Gear Nut
 
Garage Rodeo's Avatar
 

Recording should be the same on any DAW, because THE ONE YOU KNOW BEST is the fastest. I cant speak for midi capabilities of course. As far as editing, Id imagine it has similar features if you know where everything is, and have the keyboard shortcuts. I'm a huge fan of groove 3, they have instructional videos for every daw.

As far as the upgrade, you will have mixbus 6 and 32C, 2 different programs. They send email offers on discounts sometimes, and they've honored it even after it expired.
Old 1 week ago
  #20
Quote:
Originally Posted by McNewlove View Post
is it possible to upgrade from Mix Bus to Mix Bus 32 C? am not sure if this is possible. Or to use 32c i must buy 32c?

Plus, does the quality of the converters used for recording determine the quality of the output from Mix Bus? The discussion seem to imply that quality of converters do not matter as Mix Bus has its own signature sound?

Again, would i be able to depend only on Mix Bus as my one and only DAW for recording, mixing and mastering? here too, the question is informed by the fact that the discussion sort of imply that it is a no no to record and edit with mixbus and that it is only good for mixing.

thanks in anticipation
Don't see where you're coming from. Your question implies you have regular Mixbus? Then you know about its features. 32c has just more busses and the full 32c EQ on every channel.

The “info“ you reference is crap. Why wouldn't converters matter with a DAW? Of course they do, they are responsible for translating the sound to your ears. Also, Mixbus doesn't have a sound. If you route your tracks directly to the 2bus and leave the EQs off, it will cancel with any other DAW. Once you engage the EQs and use the busses, there's some saturation going on. But it's not like it forces its sound on to you. 32c just makes you sound friggin good quite easily.
Personally I have never recorded with it, except for recording a realtime bounce on a track. But I can't see why you wouldn't use it for recording? Editing is superb, you just have to learn the tools and shortcuts as in any DAW.
Old 1 week ago
  #21
Gear Nut
 
Garage Rodeo's Avatar
 

I believe both 32C and regular MB6 have the same VCA busses. If you crank up the tape distortion, there is a huge difference, it might not always be what you're looking for, but its an extra tool. (make sure you don't route tracks to busses AND master, other wise you'll double the volume)

Another difference in mixing, AFAIK, they still don't offer vst3 support, so a lot of plugins may not work.

Last edited by Garage Rodeo; 1 week ago at 11:18 PM.. Reason: more info
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 2637 views: 511513
Avatar for JSchlomo
JSchlomo 13th September 2019
replies: 56 views: 9015
Avatar for Mege
Mege 4th February 2018
replies: 5080 views: 295254
Avatar for Coorec
Coorec 32 minutes ago
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump