The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Harrison Console's excessive marketing emails
Old 20th February 2018
Here for the gear

Harrison Console's excessive marketing emails

I am becoming a little frustrated by the number of Harrison console emails that appear in my inbox. Some stats:

15 emails since the beginning of 2018
83 emails since the beginning of 2017

That doesn't include any that I've deleted by accident which I tend to do on occasion especially when reading on my cell phone.

My question: Is anyone else ticked off by the seemingly constant emailing? I could unsubscribe completely but then I'd miss out on some of the better deals. I've seen the price of Mixbus and 32C fluctuate wildly over the course of a few days (Mixbus was $19 four days ago!). Why not just send an offer email once a month or just on holidays? I love using Mixbus but all of this marketing junk is starting to move me in the direction of vanilla Ardour. I'd just need to find a tape saturation plugin to mimic the analog sound.

If I sent people marketing emails for my audio engineering business at the rate that Harrison does, I think I'd be politely or unpolitely told to rein things back a little.

Just my two cents.
Old 27th February 2018
Gear Nut

I understand your concern, but for me personally, Harrison is a company I'm always happy to hear from. Every email has included either useful information, interesting development news, or extremely good deals on Mixbus and/or its various plugins (several of which I've purchased through the recent spate of offers via these emails).

I can barely wait for the next 'What's In The Box' email; today's gave me a free expander/gate plugin! Last week's gave me a terrific lookahead compressor for $9!

The main reason I don't share your complaint is that for those of us who favour an analog style of workflow, Mixbus 32c sounds amazing and functions so nicely compared to any other DAW that to me the company is almost beyond reproach. They also are amazingly helpful and communicative over phone and email when I've contacted them for support.

Given the above, they can bother me with emails all they like - they're doing something truly unique and useful in the DAW market and providing what I believe are superior mixing tools for stunningly low prices while doing so.
Old 27th February 2018
Lives for gear

Yes, way too many!

I already have both 32c & Mixbus plus several plugins.
What gets me is that I was told I needed to be subscribed to learn of any product updates.

They're annoying & Izotope is getting the same way.

Last edited by telluride; 27th February 2018 at 08:25 PM..
Old 28th February 2018
Gear Guru
Have you been getting the new in the box offers? Nice discounts and honestly you can always unsubscribe. I do like the fact they are marketing themselves aggressively. There was a time when I almost gave up, too many bugs, etc. They have come a long way. Just wish they'd change their GUI so you could actually read a track name on a laptop. That's horrible design!!
Old 7th March 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardis View Post
Just wish they'd change their GUI so you could actually read a track name on a laptop. That's horrible design!!
GUI scaling doesn't do it?

On topic: I agree they got quite aggressive, but I never found they write without offering anything worthwhile. If I have it already or am not interested, okay, but marketing sales for their own plugins/products is legit, every company does this. And to be honest, I get a lot of mails from other companies which have zero worthwhile information or at least an interesting offer. Hell, in contrast to Harrison a lot of other companies don't even tell me when there's an update for my product available.

Bottom line is: I'd like everyone and every company to back off on their mailing frequency, but that won't happen.
Old 7th March 2018
Gear Guru
I'll try scaling again, but if memory serves me well, it zoomed into the graphic. I like to see the whole thing, especially when zipping around a busy mix. The track name is the smallest thing on the screen. That makes zero sense. I liked the gray layout better. The Darth Vader look with the tiny knobs, etc seems to be form over function. I work on a laptop and it isn't a practical graphic solution. I really could care less about it looking like a cool board.

Yeah spamming is the order of the day. I actually picked up the mastering eq on sale. I do wish Harrison would liberate them from just being proprietary. Even though butt ass ugly graphically, the plug ins are very easy to work with and an example of function over form FWIW....
Old 11th April 2018
FWIW: if you got the mail offering the mixing course I suggest checking it out. Not necessarily for the mixing part, but this gives you a cool one-in-all overview of almost all of Mixbus's many features and functions. I thought by now I knew them all but I still discovered a lot of cool tips and functions. The price makes it a nobrainer almost. And the dude is plesant to listen to. ;-) Multitracks also included.
Old 15th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachstudies View Post
I am becoming a little frustrated by the number of Harrison console emails that appear in my inbox. Some stats:

15 emails since the beginning of 2018
83 emails since the beginning of 2017
Funny. I've gotten 130 emails from Plugin Alliance since Jan 1 2018.

But hey... I suppose I'd get upset if they sent me too many emails, yet I didn't like their products.

Maybe just use the Unsubscribe link, and just check out their website when you think of it.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search