The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Harrison Console's excessive marketing emails
Old 20th February 2018
Here for the gear

Harrison Console's excessive marketing emails

I am becoming a little frustrated by the number of Harrison console emails that appear in my inbox. Some stats:

15 emails since the beginning of 2018
83 emails since the beginning of 2017

That doesn't include any that I've deleted by accident which I tend to do on occasion especially when reading on my cell phone.

My question: Is anyone else ticked off by the seemingly constant emailing? I could unsubscribe completely but then I'd miss out on some of the better deals. I've seen the price of Mixbus and 32C fluctuate wildly over the course of a few days (Mixbus was $19 four days ago!). Why not just send an offer email once a month or just on holidays? I love using Mixbus but all of this marketing junk is starting to move me in the direction of vanilla Ardour. I'd just need to find a tape saturation plugin to mimic the analog sound.

If I sent people marketing emails for my audio engineering business at the rate that Harrison does, I think I'd be politely or unpolitely told to rein things back a little.

Just my two cents.
Old 27th February 2018
Deleted e2a9217
I understand your concern, but for me personally, Harrison is a company I'm always happy to hear from. Every email has included either useful information, interesting development news, or extremely good deals on Mixbus and/or its various plugins (several of which I've purchased through the recent spate of offers via these emails).

I can barely wait for the next 'What's In The Box' email; today's gave me a free expander/gate plugin! Last week's gave me a terrific lookahead compressor for $9!

The main reason I don't share your complaint is that for those of us who favour an analog style of workflow, Mixbus 32c sounds amazing and functions so nicely compared to any other DAW that to me the company is almost beyond reproach. They also are amazingly helpful and communicative over phone and email when I've contacted them for support.

Given the above, they can bother me with emails all they like - they're doing something truly unique and useful in the DAW market and providing what I believe are superior mixing tools for stunningly low prices while doing so.
Old 27th February 2018
Lives for gear

Yes, way too many!

I already have both 32c & Mixbus plus several plugins.
What gets me is that I was told I needed to be subscribed to learn of any product updates.

They're annoying & Izotope is getting the same way.

Last edited by telluride; 27th February 2018 at 08:25 PM..
Old 28th February 2018
Gear Guru
Have you been getting the new in the box offers? Nice discounts and honestly you can always unsubscribe. I do like the fact they are marketing themselves aggressively. There was a time when I almost gave up, too many bugs, etc. They have come a long way. Just wish they'd change their GUI so you could actually read a track name on a laptop. That's horrible design!!
Old 7th March 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardis View Post
Just wish they'd change their GUI so you could actually read a track name on a laptop. That's horrible design!!
GUI scaling doesn't do it?

On topic: I agree they got quite aggressive, but I never found they write without offering anything worthwhile. If I have it already or am not interested, okay, but marketing sales for their own plugins/products is legit, every company does this. And to be honest, I get a lot of mails from other companies which have zero worthwhile information or at least an interesting offer. Hell, in contrast to Harrison a lot of other companies don't even tell me when there's an update for my product available.

Bottom line is: I'd like everyone and every company to back off on their mailing frequency, but that won't happen.
Old 7th March 2018
Gear Guru
I'll try scaling again, but if memory serves me well, it zoomed into the graphic. I like to see the whole thing, especially when zipping around a busy mix. The track name is the smallest thing on the screen. That makes zero sense. I liked the gray layout better. The Darth Vader look with the tiny knobs, etc seems to be form over function. I work on a laptop and it isn't a practical graphic solution. I really could care less about it looking like a cool board.

Yeah spamming is the order of the day. I actually picked up the mastering eq on sale. I do wish Harrison would liberate them from just being proprietary. Even though butt ass ugly graphically, the plug ins are very easy to work with and an example of function over form FWIW....
Old 11th April 2018
FWIW: if you got the mail offering the mixing course I suggest checking it out. Not necessarily for the mixing part, but this gives you a cool one-in-all overview of almost all of Mixbus's many features and functions. I thought by now I knew them all but I still discovered a lot of cool tips and functions. The price makes it a nobrainer almost. And the dude is plesant to listen to. ;-) Multitracks also included.
Old 15th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachstudies View Post
I am becoming a little frustrated by the number of Harrison console emails that appear in my inbox. Some stats:

15 emails since the beginning of 2018
83 emails since the beginning of 2017
Funny. I've gotten 130 emails from Plugin Alliance since Jan 1 2018.

But hey... I suppose I'd get upset if they sent me too many emails, yet I didn't like their products.

Maybe just use the Unsubscribe link, and just check out their website when you think of it.
Old 2nd July 2020
Gear Addict
I've received 99 mails from Harrison in 2019.
I've received 103 mails so far from them in 2020. We're July 3rd.

From April 16th, they've sent me 2 mails per day.

This is way too much. I now see them as spammers, as a weak company with only strategy is sending mass email campaign. i dunno who is their business strategist, but he is no good.

I have created a rule in my mail software, and everything that comes from Harrison is now placed in a folder named 'Harrison' and marked as read.

When I met clients, I show them my folder and tell them "This is how you must not do it with your business". Those strategies are irritating and make your clients unsubscribe + it makes you look not good.

What if I ring at your door every morning with the same sale speech for 3 months?

Just common sense...
Old 3rd July 2020
While I have to agree it's annoying to get the exact same mail a dozen times and then the next, I have to say that other companies are excessive also and that the folks at Harrison are among the nicest and most dedicated in the game.
Old 4th July 2020
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSchlomo View Post
While I have to agree it's annoying to get the exact same mail a dozen times and then the next, I have to say that other companies are excessive also and that the folks at Harrison are among the nicest and most dedicated in the game.
They are not nice when they act like this. Period.
Old 4th July 2020
Gear Addict
Oh... They also LIE.

In their last email campaign, the object is :

"32C $99 Summer Sale Lowest Price Ever"

The 32C has already been offered at $99 in the past...

I dont think we can call this "being nice".
Old 5th July 2020
Deleted e2a9217
Quote:
Originally Posted by _barnee View Post
Oh... They also LIE.

In their last email campaign, the object is :

"32C $99 Summer Sale Lowest Price Ever"

The 32C has already been offered at $99 in the past...

I dont think we can call this "being nice".
That's not a lie. $99 is indeed the lowest price ever. If they stated that this is the lowest price and the first time it's been offered at that price, that would be a lie. Everyone is playing the aggressive plugin marketing game, and Harrison are good people who make exceptional stuff and deserve more users in my view. Mixbus 32c, while still imperfect, is evolving nicely.
Old 5th July 2020
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted e2a9217 View Post
That's not a lie. $99 is indeed the lowest price ever. If they stated that this is the lowest price and the first time it's been offered at that price, that would be a lie. Everyone is playing the aggressive plugin marketing game, and Harrison are good people who make exceptional stuff and deserve more users in my view. Mixbus 32c, while still imperfect, is evolving nicely.
I totally disagree.

Lowest Price Ever -> Meaning, they never did before such low price.

Anyhow, I also disagree with this little melody saying "Plugin businesses are aggressive at marketing. Harrison is cool, they are nice people, don't say anything on them, let them do their marketing bull****".

I am an early Mixbus adopter, on mac. Few years ago, I purchased another licence Mixbus 4 for Windows. I have been interested in Mixbus 32C recently, but it looks very buggy. Totally unstable on Windows, with a lot of crashes issues.
I've read here and there that the last Mixbus 32C is built upon a new rewritten Reaper which is unstable itself.

So... To get a stable and functional Mixbus 32C on Windows, we must wait for a stable Reaper first which is not coded by Harrison. Wait, what? But Harrison charge $349 for the 32C!!! That is a lot. Even at $99, I won't purchase a software that is a wrapper of another buggy software. Clients are not beta testers.

Mixbus 4 has a lot of CPU spikes, but it doesn't crash. I'll keep using this if needed.

And talking about "evolving", why the hell in 2020 there is still no mono button on the master channel?

---

Back to the subject:
Harrison is terrible at marketing.

When you want to make money, you release a stable product people can use.
You build reputation, and sales rise.

Otherwise, you try to artificially increase your sales by bombing emailing campaigns. If at first you increase your sales, you also dramatically increase the number of people not happy with your product or marketing behaviour and the news starts to spread on forums and social media.
Old 6th July 2020
Deleted e2a9217
Quote:
I totally disagree.

Lowest Price Ever -> Meaning, they never did before such low price.

Anyhow, I also disagree with this little melody saying "Plugin businesses are aggressive at marketing. Harrison is cool, they are nice people, don't say anything on them, let them do their marketing bull****".

I am an early Mixbus adopter, on mac. Few years ago, I purchased another licence Mixbus 4 for Windows. I have been interested in Mixbus 32C recently, but it looks very buggy. Totally unstable on Windows, with a lot of crashes issues.
I've read here and there that the last Mixbus 32C is built upon a new rewritten Reaper which is unstable itself.

So... To get a stable and functional Mixbus 32C on Windows, we must wait for a stable Reaper first which is not coded by Harrison. Wait, what? But Harrison charge $349 for the 32C!!! That is a lot. Even at $99, I won't purchase a software that is a wrapper of another buggy software. Clients are not beta testers.

Mixbus 4 has a lot of CPU spikes, but it doesn't crash. I'll keep using this if needed.

And talking about "evolving", why the hell in 2020 there is still no mono button on the master channel?

---

Back to the subject:
Harrison is terrible at marketing.

When you want to make money, you release a stable product people can use.
You build reputation, and sales rise.

Otherwise, you try to artificially increase your sales by bombing emailing campaigns. If at first you increase your sales, you also dramatically increase the number of people not happy with your product or marketing behaviour and the news starts to spread on forums and social media.
I concur that Mixbus wasn't stable as quickly as it should have been post-release, but it is now nearly as stable as any other DAW. (Logic crashes with a variety of plugins as of version 10.5.1, and continues to have a mere +6db fader range above unity unlike every other DAW on the market (and most analog consoles). Pro Tools 2020 is a nightmare on Mac in my experience. Studio One can't manage a session at 96K to save its life. For that matter, Studio One can barely export a mix without glitches. Reaper on Mac is the closest to "stable" I've ever encountered, but it too has little issues I'm not pleased with.)

Are you not familiar with Mixbus' monitor controller function? Most mix engineers have an analog monitor controller that allows them to flip to mono, but if you don't have this, Mixbus 32c (not sure about standard Mixbus) gives it to you by way of their excellent Monitor Controller feature which is post master bus and is a truly capable monitor controller for dimming, mono, etc. It's in the Project Settings area if I recall.

Here's a final thought. If you don't like their emails, unsubscribe from the list. Better yet, give them a phone call, and express your displeasure directly. Unlike every other DAW company, you can actually reliably get Ben Loftis on the phone, the architect of the whole bloody Mixbus program. This might be more effective, and also in better taste, than moaning about their marketing emails and besmirching the company on an internet forum. They are a small team it would appear, but their customer support puts most bigger companies to shame in my experience.
Old 6th July 2020
Gear Addict
Petergreeny,

Here, this is a topic complaining about Harrison emailings.

If you don't want to read people "moaning" about a company, don't read.
Instead, start your own topic when you say how you are happy with a company or product.

---

Why should I unsubscribe of their email campaign? Because they are spammers?
I want to KNOW what's going on with Harrison and the evolution of Mixbus... Just a mail from time to time would be OK. I dont need to receive the same goddamn email for 60 days!!
Smart companies can do this. They ask you how frequently you want to get some news about the company, and what types of news you want to receive. They you can modulate your subscription, and everyone wins. THIS is the good emailing strategy.

---

So there is a way to listen to mono on Mixbus master from the software itself?
32C only? or regular mixbus is also able to do this?

I dont see a "mono" button on the master channel... Which would be much useful that a combination of actions to enable mono on a master bus.

I'm currently using a specific plugin just to do that on Mixbus. Stereo -> Mono -> Stereo etc... just to check the mixes. Would have preferred a more direct way to do it, a more "all hands on desk" way to suits the Harrison mantra.

---

As concerning the stability on Windows 10, there are numerous threads here and there from people complaining about the Mixbus 32C to crash. Many were advised to stay on the previous version. I don't see how me calling Ben would solve this. He (hopefully) is already aware of these stability issues.

Harrison only replies on this subject is that some stability issues belong to the fact that Mixbus is a wrapper applied on Reaper, which has been rewritten... And which is buggy... Still, they sell it for $349... or $99, their constant "lowest price ever".
Old 6th July 2020
Deleted e2a9217
Quote:

So there is a way to listen to mono on Mixbus master from the software itself?
32C only? or regular mixbus is also able to do this?

I dont see a "mono" button on the master channel... Which would be much useful that a combination of actions to enable mono on a master bus.

I'm currently using a specific plugin just to do that on Mixbus. Stereo -> Mono -> Stereo etc... just to check the mixes. Would have preferred a more direct way to do it, a more "all hands on desk" way to suits the Harrison mantra.

Harrison only replies on this subject is that some stability issues belong to the fact that Mixbus is a wrapper applied on Reaper, which has been rewritten... And which is buggy... Still, they sell it for $349... or $99, their constant "lowest price ever".
Mixbus has never had anything to do with Reaper. It is wrapped around the open-source DAW Ardour, not Reaper. I believe that Ardour's origins, as well as those of the project originally conceived by Harrison which became Mixbus, lie in the Linux sphere.

And yes, the monitor controller is called the 'Monitor Strip,' it's available in both versions of Mixbus, and it's superb. The Monitor Strip can be shown/hidden with a single keystroke, and is thus not an arduous "combination of actions" as you suggest. The more important combination of actions would be the steps that lead you to reading the manual:

http://www.harrisonconsoles.com/mixb...tor+controller

Given what you don't know about Mixbus, you might pause in future before launching into an overwrought attack on the company's marketing, calling them liars, calling them "terrible" marketers, etc. Your charge lacks credibility, and without the protective veil of the internet you might remember that these are human beings working for a living that you are slandering on a public forum.

I'm off of here...
Old 8th July 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted e2a9217 View Post
Mixbus has never had anything to do with Reaper. It is wrapped around the open-source DAW Ardour, not Reaper. I believe that Ardour's origins, as well as those of the project originally conceived by Harrison which became Mixbus, lie in the Linux sphere.

And yes, the monitor controller is called the 'Monitor Strip,' it's available in both versions of Mixbus, and it's superb. The Monitor Strip can be shown/hidden with a single keystroke, and is thus not an arduous "combination of actions" as you suggest. The more important combination of actions would be the steps that lead you to reading the manual:

http://www.harrisonconsoles.com/mixb...tor+controller

Given what you don't know about Mixbus, you might pause in future before launching into an overwrought attack on the company's marketing, calling them liars, calling them "terrible" marketers, etc. Your charge lacks credibility, and without the protective veil of the internet you might remember that these are human beings working for a living that you are slandering on a public forum.

I'm off of here...
Totally agree with you. No problem with people complaining and I do agree Harrison's mailing strategy is awkward. But to mix that up with complaining about their product without any knowledge how to use it properly and doesn't leave a smart impression.

To the OP:
Since v5, 32c has been very solid on Win 10. I use and have used a lot of DAWs on different systems and 32c nowadays is not any less stable than the competition. Plus, the fact you CAN get these people by mail or phone, DOES make a difference. Ever tried Steinberg, Avid or Presonus support? Good luck with that.
Ben and Nik almost always have sorted out problems I had and they do listen to users and fix and add things in the next update. If they now start mailing only twice as much...
Wonder where you got that Reaper-nonsense from, it's stated everywhere it's built on Ardour framework. And when you have checked out the excellent monitor section in 32c, ask yourself how PT as the industry standard can still have no monitor section in 2020 at all?

Off, too.
Old 18th July 2020
Gear Addict
Glad to be informed that there IS a mono listening button on Mixbus.
But let's admit it, it is not obvious... while it should.

C'mon, I have to read a manual to find how to activate a mono button on a master bus?
Open a menu + choose a item, click on a tickbox to activate a function that is not even labeled 'mono button on the master bus'... Well, that is very intuitive design. Great user experience. Just kidding. Of course, it is not. Especially for Harrison whose mantra for Mixbus is "everything at hands".

Anyhow, ME NOT READING THE MANUAL BECAUSE I'M NOT SMART ENOUGH (what a joke) should not unfocus the original story here: Harrison is bad at marketing. And they should focus on the software instead of their hammering email marketing method.

I suspect them reading this thread, because email things have been calm on the last 7 days.
GOOD!

Last edited by _barnee; 19th July 2020 at 01:16 PM..
Old 10th August 2020
Gear Guru
Quote:
Glad to be informed that there IS a mono listening button on Mixbus.
But let's admit it, it is not obvious... while it should.

C'mon, I have to read a manual to find how to activate a mono button on a master bus?
Open a menu + choose a item, click on a tickbox to activate a function that is not even labeled 'mono button on the master bus'... Well, that is very intuitive design. Great user experience. Just kidding. Of course, it is not. Especially for Harrison whose mantra for Mixbus is "everything at hands".

Anyhow, ME NOT READING THE MANUAL BECAUSE I'M NOT SMART ENOUGH (what a joke) should not unfocus the original story here: Harrison is bad at marketing. And they should focus on the software instead of their hammering email marketing method.

I suspect them reading this thread, because email things have been calm on the last 7 days.
GOOD!
If you contact support with a question or a problem they will be back to you in my case under 24 hrs even over weekends. The best customer support ever. Use the tools like the videos also there are lots of you don’t like manuals.,,
Old 10th August 2020
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardis View Post
If you contact support with a question or a problem they will be back to you in my case under 24 hrs even over weekends. The best customer support ever. Use the tools like the videos also there are lots of you don’t like manuals.,,
Best customer support ever? Fine. I don't know. Never experienced it. Maybe you're right.
But as long as they keep using spammers email's strategy, they are the worst in marketing.

Fortunately, there are less emails received on last of month... Time will tell.
📝 Reply