The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Harrison Mixbus - Please do the right thing - Free Upgrade from v2 please
Old 6th May 2017
Harrison Mixbus - Please do the right thing - Free Upgrade from v2 please

This is the start of my public campaign to bring the management of the business that owns Harrison Mixbus to account and to do the right thing.

This is further to my personal emails to them, for which I never received any answers.

I am certain I am not the only one in this position and use this medium to solicit support from others to get Harrison Mixbus management to do the right thing.

Give all those who paid for well known poorly functioning versions of their software a free upgrade to the current version.

Without the opportunity of a demo version, to check if the software worked properly, I paid in full for version 2. It never worked reliably, after a few months of trying everything including upgrading to the most recent release of the version 2, it still did not work reliably.

I therefore have had to stop using it, period.

Then I receive entreaties from the company via email, to upgrade to version 3 and later on to version 4, and am expected to pay for this. This is simply unconscionable - ridiculous and unfair? What happened to my investment that never gave me any value.

Could the management and team behind Harrison Mixbus do what is fair - reward those who invested in the business, by paying for copies of their software, with proper functioning versions of what they paid for, or a free upgrade to a version that works properly. This is only fair.

I will never pay for any further upgrades, until I am issued a copy of Harrison Mixbus that works properly and is stable.

It is most unreasonable to expect me to pay again, for something that never worked properly, especially as there, at the time was never an option to try before I buy.

I hope there would be enough of us - thoroughly upset by our written off investment in Harrison Mixbus version 2 or earlier, to cause those who need to rethink their customer service and loyalty to their paying customers, to do the right thing. - Give us a free upgrade to version 4.
Old 6th May 2017
Gear Maniac

Mixbus owner from Mixbus v1 to Mixbus 32C v4, and very happy with it.
For me it was stable from v 2.5.
paid 70 euro for v1 and about 70 euro for the upgrades each (until i switched to 32C), thats about half you pay for Cubase, so i never complained.
You have to be realistic, they need the money for development.
If you buy a crapy car, you won´t get a new one for free !
Old 7th May 2017
Gear Nut

You could have just not bought it though. Your position seems to imply you were forced into buying it because you couldn't demo it.

But you knowingly did and now you want a free jump to V4?

Perhaps from this point forward you should refrain from purchasing software which you can't demo so that you can be sure it works on your system. It seems V2 was working fine for others?
Old 9th May 2017
Here for the gear
I won't be joining your crusade

Sorry, but I won't be joining your crusade. I have bought and paid for a lot of software that either never really worked, or it became obsolete and unusable.

I've used Mixbus from V2.4 and the basic functionality has always worked. At this point, Mixbus 32C V4, if there is anything I need it to do that doesn't work, I haven't found it yet.

I do have several thousand dollars worth of software that has been put aside because it doesn't compare with Mixbus.

Not to be rude, but I find your campaign to be in extremely poor taste. If you want to try the Vs4 software, there is a demo available. If you try it and like it, then buy it like the rest of us did and quit whining.

Boydbob
Old 10th May 2017
I find the contrary comments to a simple observation - that I paid for software that never worked reliably and it would be fair for the software vendor to redress this, interesting to say the least.

I am somewhat amused that many think it's ok for software vendors to release software that does not work reliably, especially when there was no opportunity to demo it before it was bought, especially as they have paid for such things in the past that never worked, and they accept it.

That's ok. Interesting opinions. At the very least, I now understand why these substandard practices exist, because some of the purchasing public accepts these practice.

I have taken a long hard look at the position of Harrison, as I see it, and will no longer pursue the issue.

I'll simply write off my previous investment and interest in the Harrison DAW's, accept my loss, learn my lesson never to invest in software vendors with suspect practices(e.g. lack of demo versions prior to purchase), and move on.

I've recreated the Harrison claim to fame (saturation, compressor/limiter, and eq's) in other ways, in Reaper, using corresponding plugins from other reliable software vendors.

With Reaper, at least I am entitled to upgrades for at least two versions, but it's a different vendor, different promises, so no point in comparing.

I appreciate all the feedback. It was most enlightening.

Case closed.
Old 12th May 2017
Lives for gear

I've got tons of saturation, eq & compressor plugins. A lot of them are really great but how Mixbus sounds, can not be recreated easily.
Old 12th May 2017
Lives for gear

There has been a huge amount of development on MixBus so I might not agree 100% on Kodebode's insistence of a totally free upgrade but thought I'd add my experience to this thread...

I too bought in to MixBus way way back (v1.5) and it was indeed virtually unusable so I gave MixBus a very wide berth until I read about the new features and increased stability MixBus v4 and decided to give it a demo.

I still find problems nearly every session (yesterday clicking on MH Channelstrip caused a crash literally 5 times in a row and then mysteriously stopped?) but I do actually really love the work-flow.

My biggest problem now is the sour taste of Harrison's upgrade policy.

I bought MixBus v4 and then 32C (before 32C v4 was released) at the pre-32C v4 release sale price of $120 and was told new/existing owners of 32C would be given a further discount when 32C v4 was released.

To their credit they did send out emails for $129 "loyalty" upgrade prices to existing owners. And some owners received even lower offers.... BUT now two weeks later, as a new customer, you can buy 32C v4 from Harrison's affiliates for $199.

So, in my case, $249 for a "loyal" customer and $199 for new customers.

Not cool. Not cool at all.

After seeing that my thought is to just keep MixBus v4 and try and see if I can sell my 32C v3 license.

No big squeals. It's just software and I have others I use more (PT12/LPX) and it was only $120 (if I can't sell my license) and I do really like MixBus v4 so, but, well, you know?

R.
Old 16th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Betsey View Post
There has been a huge amount of development on MixBus so I might not agree 100% on Kodebode's insistence of a totally free upgrade but thought I'd add my experience to this thread...

My biggest problem now is the sour taste of Harrison's upgrade policy.

So, in my case, $249 for a "loyal" customer and $199 for new customers.

Not cool. Not cool at all.

R.
I WON Mixbus 1.xx in a contest on this very board and to be honest have never used it that much.
I did pay to upgrade to version 2 and then 3, but drew the line at 4 for precisely the reasons you give.
Another aspect of this is that an awful lot of the development on Mixbus is, with the advent of LUA support, now being done by script-writing users, somewhat like in Reaper.
So not a huge development cost to Harrison there.
Old 22nd May 2017
Gear Guru
I feel your pain but stuck with Mixbus. Ben in support has been very responsive even over weekends. I'm really surprised you never heard back from him. Anyway, demo v4 and see what you think. You may be surprised by the advances. I would also reach out to Ben directly....
Old 29th August 2017
Lives for gear
I too bought MixBus V2, was comically unusable, but I didn't pay much for it so figured, meh: I've spent more on a single plugin that's collecting digital dust, so this isn't that terrible.

I think they should've sat tight on it, waited until v3 and then charged a more reasonable fee in the ~$249-500 range, which should've covered upgrades for that major version (3.1 to 3.9) and carefully assessed where they were at feature-wise, before deciding to roll out a new major version 4.

It's not like they're breaking new ground here, despite the claims to the contrary: yeah, it has a sound to it, but this is 2017 and there are a metric tonne of DAW options out there, as well as channel strips to get similar character mixing right in the DAW.
Old 30th August 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derick View Post
Mixbus owner from Mixbus v1 to Mixbus 32C v4, and very happy with it.
For me it was stable from v 2.5.
paid 70 euro for v1 and about 70 euro for the upgrades each (until i switched to 32C), thats about half you pay for Cubase, so i never complained.
You have to be realistic, they need the money for development.
If you buy a crapy car, you won´t get a new one for free !
Hopefully if I faced the risk of buying a crappy car, at least I'd have the opportunity to try before I buy, and that's my point - at the time I bought version 2, there was no demo available for Mixbus, a benefit that was only made available in version 3.

It's Mixbus's loss. I am no longer an investor in their ecosystem.

One day they'll see the light and do the right thing, and recompense me, and others in the same position, with a free upgrade. One day!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search