The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Harrison Mixbus whats the verdict?
Old 8th April 2020 | Show parent
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradh View Post
Regular Mixbus v. 6 is coming out soon. They always lead with 32c and follow up with regular Mixbus.
Yep! Ben said that the regular version would be released about now if memory serves me well....
Old 8th April 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardis View Post
I’d love 32c but work on a laptop. Honestly Mixbus has the worst GUI ever... tiny knobs and labeling
6may be slightly better... the gray version was better..
The GUI for Mixbus is excellent when working on a large monitor. Gorgeous and totally usable. But I agree: on a laptop the edit page is fine but I wouldn't use the mixer. Harrison made some improvements in version 6, allowing you to hide the channel EQ and mixbus assign buttons to free up space and reduce clutter; one click reveals them again. But on my 14" laptop 32c v. 6 is still something I'd use for tracking or editing only, not mixing. The mixer page really works best on a large monitor.
Old 9th April 2020 | Show parent
Gear Guru
Quote:
The GUI for Mixbus is excellent when working on a large monitor. Gorgeous and totally usable. But I agree: on a laptop the edit page is fine but I wouldn't use the mixer. Harrison made some improvements in version 6, allowing you to hide the channel EQ and mixbus assign buttons to free up space and reduce clutter; one click reveals them again. But on my 14" laptop 32c v. 6 is still something I'd use for tracking or editing only, not mixing. The mixer page really works best on a large monitor.
Such a shame! I was drawn to MB because it’s laid out like a mixer and sounds great.... been using since early days
Old 13th April 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardis View Post
Yep! Ben said that the regular version would be released about now if memory serves me well....
Available starting today!
Old 13th April 2020 | Show parent
Gear Guru
Quote:
Available starting today!
Got it thx! Eager to try it!
Old 18th April 2020
Lives for gear

Certainly not trying to rain on a parade here - and I own and use Mixbus 5 and 32C v5 - but I've got to say the MB forum is just blowing up with a plethora of variable crash reports for 32C v6. Every day it seems there is a new "Mixbus crashes when I do _____" thread - and most of them get verified rather quickly by other users.

At this point, I'm going to wait it out and perhaps skip a version. When die hard, devoted users make statements like "right now I don't want to use MB with a client sitting beside me", something's not quite right.
Old 18th April 2020 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicenzajay View Post
Certainly not trying to rain on a parade here - and I own and use Mixbus 5 and 32C v5 - but I've got to say the MB forum is just blowing up with a plethora of variable crash reports for 32C v6. Every day it seems there is a new "Mixbus crashes when I do _____" thread - and most of them get verified rather quickly by other users.

At this point, I'm going to wait it out and perhaps skip a version. When die hard, devoted users make statements like "right now I don't want to use MB with a client sitting beside me", something's not quite right.
I'm not really following the MB forums, but as a longtime MB user and supporter, I feel the same, at least atm. 32c v5 is really solid on my system, v6 is not. It's not that it crashes a lot, but it has some issues that make it more or less unusable for me right now.
Old 20th April 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

@ vicenzajay , @ JSchlomo :

Mixbus v6 had a very long "beta" period with a lot of contributors. It's very solid.

Our forum can be misleading in this regard. It is a support forum representing thousands of people in on 3 different operating systems and from dozens of countries; it is unmoderated; and the conversations there are persistent "forever" (unlike our bug-database which gets items removed when they are resolved)

A huge software program like Mixbus will of course have some bugs, but we're very open about the development process since we share it with the Ardour open source community ... there's nowhere to hide!

Thanks for your continuing support! We are doing something very unusual with Mixbus and it's been a wild ride. Can you believe it's been 10 years since we first launched v1 on Gearslutz?

-Ben
Deleted e2a9217
32c v6 has certainly been the most stable/best version of Mixbus I've employed (starting with v2 as I recall). It continues to improve on my (OSX) system with each update.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted e2a9217 View Post
32c v6 has certainly been the most stable/best version of Mixbus I've employed (starting with v2 as I recall). It continues to improve on my (OSX) system with each update.
Yah - not much about crashes for MAC folks...it's the Windows stuff that continues to be problematic. They're two different animals for MB, and that divergence is represented in the coverage of v6 to this point.

I'm sticking with V5 - the forum may not be the best "spot" to gauge stability, but I tend to have bad "luck" in this regard. If something can go wrong, it will - and right now MB (the version 5 set of the two programs) is reasonably stable for me. There a several folks facing baffling functional and stability issues after upgrading - not interested in that loss of time at all.
Old 21st April 2020 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenLoftis View Post
@ vicenzajay , @ JSchlomo :

Mixbus v6 had a very long "beta" period with a lot of contributors. It's very solid.

Our forum can be misleading in this regard. It is a support forum representing thousands of people in on 3 different operating systems and from dozens of countries; it is unmoderated; and the conversations there are persistent "forever" (unlike our bug-database which gets items removed when they are resolved)

A huge software program like Mixbus will of course have some bugs, but we're very open about the development process since we share it with the Ardour open source community ... there's nowhere to hide!

Thanks for your continuing support! We are doing something very unusual with Mixbus and it's been a wild ride. Can you believe it's been 10 years since we first launched v1 on Gearslutz?

-Ben
I'm still amazed bout the hard work and dedication you put in and again can't praise your exceptional support enough.
V5 is rock solid on my system and a joy to use, v6 presents some fundamental issues about which I already got in touch with you, so chances are we'll sort them out. Maybe it's really an Windows issue. So far I'll (have to) stay on v5.
Deleted e2a9217
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicenzajay View Post
Yah - not much about crashes for MAC folks...it's the Windows stuff that continues to be problematic. They're two different animals for MB, and that divergence is represented in the coverage of v6 to this point.

I'm sticking with V5 - the forum may not be the best "spot" to gauge stability, but I tend to have bad "luck" in this regard. If something can go wrong, it will - and right now MB (the version 5 set of the two programs) is reasonably stable for me. There a several folks facing baffling functional and stability issues after upgrading - not interested in that loss of time at all.
I hear you man. It's been frustrating even on Mac at times. The enterprise is a noble one, but I wish they could get it to a place of Logic/Reaper type stability for us all. The complexity of that task is beyond me however...
Lives for gear

Oddly enough on Mac I find 32c v6 more stable than version 5 was. Version 5 would crash pretty frequently on my machine but I haven't had a crash yet with Version 6. Regular Mixbus has always been more stable for me than 32c, but even 32c has been solid for me in version 6 on the Mac. My Windows machine is a laptop and I don't even bother with Mixbus on that. I'm also running the pre-release of Ardour 6 on two Macs and it's been stable so far except for recording. As a general rule I'm not sure I trust the stability of Ardour or Mixbus enough to use for recording/tracking, but I love using them for everything past the recording stage.
Lives for gear

Quote:
As a general rule I'm not sure I trust the stability of Ardour or Mixbus enough to use for recording/tracking, but I love using them for everything past the recording stage.
Concur with this ^^^^^

Love mixing with it....not going to use it with a recording client...

And I'll be staying with v5 for the near future.
Old 30th April 2020
Gear Guru
Anyone else having trouble with Windows 10 finding Acustica Aqua plug ins with Mixbus 6?
📝 Reply