The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Harrison Mixbus whats the verdict?
Old 31st May 2019
Lives for gear

The spectral analysis tool is awesome too: drag a range around any portion of any number of tracks (e.g., a section of 12 tracks where the sound seems muddy), right click and choose the spectral analysis tool, and it shows you where all the frequency collisions are occurring. See https://www.admiralbumblebee.com/mus...ctral-analysis

There are lots of hidden gems like this in Mixbus.

It's true that it sucks when it comes to MIDI and there are some features I really miss having, but overall I've shifted to Mixbus as my primary DAW with Reaper or Logic when I need MIDI or if I want to do spectral edits (available in Reaper).
Old 1st June 2019
Lives for gear

@ bradh , thanks much for the spectral analysis tip and link.
Old 1st June 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swing View Post
@ bradh , thanks much for the spectral analysis tip and link.
+1 on that, thanx for sharing, Brad. Most of it I knew, but the link was new to me.
Old 2nd June 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGM View Post
What was your 2nd DAW that you found MixBus to be better than?
Reaper. I had been using it for about 8 years and was pretty fast with it.
Old 6th June 2019
Here for the gear

Polarity Optimization!

I can’t believe nobody’s mentioned one of the most amazing things about HMB— select a range and control-click to the contextual menu: optimize polarity!

This function alone saves HOURS of work, and like the rest of HMB’s functions, gets the job done quickly and well.
Thanks to Ben, Nik, and the rest of the HMB crew. Doing it for the love of it. I’m so grateful.
Old 7th June 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Ally View Post
I can’t believe nobody’s mentioned one of the most amazing things about HMB— select a range and control-click to the contextual menu: optimize polarity!

This function alone saves HOURS of work, and like the rest of HMB’s functions, gets the job done quickly and well.
Thanks to Ben, Nik, and the rest of the HMB crew. Doing it for the love of it. I’m so grateful.
Absolutely, wanted to mention that as well. People should at least get the basic Mixbus version for this feature alone, even if they wanna keep using another DAW. I mean, Autoalign costs more and while pretty useful, I'd take optimal phase relationship over alignment any day.
Old 9th June 2019
Lives for gear

@ bradh : thanks for that great summary of editing features that are sometimes overlooked.
Old 12th June 2019
Gear Nut

My verdict is : GREAT. left Protools and SO for Mixbus32C and Linux. Thinking about Bitwig studio3 too.
thanks Harrison.
Old 14th July 2019
Gear Head

I've mostly used Logic in the past, and I've used Reaper and regular Mixbus a little bit as well. Recently got 32C during the latest sale. Trying to use it as my main DAW for hiphop production--my MIDI needs are fairly minimal, mostly just drawing in 808 basslines, and I mostly work directly with audio samples for all my drums. Loving it! The workflow is really quick and intuitive, and the channel EQ sounds awesome. Polarity optimization is insanely useful, as well as the spill feature.

I will say though, and I know that this has been a recurring complaint amongst Mixbus users, I do get a fair amount of crashes. The vast majority of the time they happen when bypassing and un-bypassing plugins. For ex, if I'm auditioning a few different mix bus compressors (or even just one) and moving between them, I'm very very likely to crash. Auto-save has been reliable and I save constantly so I never really lose any work, but it's still a drag. I've read that v5 is more stable than past versions, but it seems that in my case at least there are still some kinks to work out regarding third party plugins. It doesn't seem like there's any relation to particular plugin companies, more just the act of bypassing and un-bypassing causes something in Mixbus to go haywire.

Overall, though, I'd say it's a fantastic DAW with a lot of great features. Also, I know some people are content to stick with regular Mixbus and don't need the extras in 32C, but for me it's a game changer having two peak bands per channel.
Old 14th July 2019
Lives for gear

I get more crashes in 32c than I get in regular Mixbus, and I'm using version 5 of both (latest available version of both). I'm on a Mac, and it's a pretty beefy machine with 32 gigs of RAM and an 8 core processor so I'm not sure why. Mixbus 32c on my machine almost always crashes on quit.
Old 14th July 2019
Gear Head

Yeah, I’ve also had a couple crashes when quitting, though it’s mostly when bypassing plugins. I haven’t used regular Mixbus v5 since getting 32C, I’ll have to check it out and see if it’s more stable. Really loving the 32C EQ, though...
Old 15th July 2019
Lives for gear

FWIW I use 32c regularly and only had one crash I can remember, which was when trying to find the best settings in preferences for a control interface I was testing. Both 32c v4 and v5 have been very stable for me running on MacOS 10.14.x and Ubuntu Studio 18.x/19.x, though I don't exceed 10 tracks and rely on the 32c EQ and compression so only use a few plug-ins.
Old 15th July 2019
On my fairly potent Win 10 machine, 32c v5 is running very solid. The only recurring crash potential is, as many other said, quitting the program, and even more likely closing a session and loading another as well as doing a realtime export (I have to because I use hardware inserts).
Old 17th July 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSchlomo View Post
On my fairly potent Win 10 machine, 32c v5 is running very solid. The only recurring crash potential is, as many other said, quitting the program, and even more likely closing a session and loading another as well as doing a realtime export (I have to because I use hardware inserts).
Same here on OSX El Capitain. Quitting Mixbus has the greatest crash incidence. It also doesn't get along with the digital i/o interface of my Metric Halo Lio-8 in terms of adding inserts. Analog i/o is no problem mind you. Would be lovely if they could fix some of these long-time issues.

Regardless, 32c sounds effortlessly better than any other DAW I've used, and believe me, I'd love for Logic to sound as good because it's more stable and very fast to scoot around in. Mixbus manages to acheive this 3D width thing not unlike my analog board, tightening the bottom end and giving everything space to breathe, while other DAWs sound slightly wider but totally 2D flat and rather congested, particularly in the low mids and lows.
Old 17th July 2019
Gear Guru
I could see using Mixbus as a mastering type situation. It does sound good and for the price of a plug in does add something great!
Old 3rd August 2019
Gear Head

An update on my previous post about frequent crashes: I've since switched from using primarily AU to primarily VST, and things have gotten dramatically more stable. I've had a couple random crashes, but nothing like what I was getting before when I was using all AU.

If anyone is having plugin-related crashes in 32C and happens to be using AU plugins, I highly recommend switching to VST and seeing if it makes a difference!
Old 3rd August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbeats View Post

If anyone is having plugin-related crashes in 32C and happens to be using AU plugins, I highly recommend switching to VST and seeing if it makes a difference!
I'm glad that's working for you! In my case, though, I never use AU plugins (except in Logic, where they're the only option) and 32C still crashes frequently on quit. It's been stable otherwise; I haven't had crashes in the middle of working, but it regularly hangs when I quit the program. I can live with that, although it doesn't inspire confidence.
Old 4th August 2019
Yesterday I had one of those unexpected random crashes. Was in the process of making an instrument group and color coding it and suddenly it closed. Has been a long time, though.
Old 4th August 2019
Lives for gear

@ bradh : if you repeatably get a crash-on-quit, then it can probably be solved.

If Mixbus crashes on Mac, please click "Generate Report" and then "Show details", and email us the text of the report. We can usually tell what's gone wrong, and fix it (or help you avoid it).

Best,
-Ben at Harrison
Old 4th August 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenLoftis View Post
@ bradh : if you repeatably get a crash-on-quit, then it can probably be solved.

If Mixbus crashes on Mac, please click "Generate Report" and then "Show details", and email us the text of the report. We can usually tell what's gone wrong, and fix it (or help you avoid it).

Best,
-Ben at Harrison
And when it crashes on Win? Nik sent me a debug version of the regular MB, but as it's rather random, of course it didn't crash the two times I tried it.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search