The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Harrison Mixbus whats the verdict?
Old 10th November 2017
  #91
I love the layout of the mixer. You can basically do most things you want to do on this one page, unlike many DAWs that require multiple clicks. The sound of the EQ and compression reaction and sound I like better than the ones in Cubase. This is the good news.

Now the bad news. I just scanned my plug-ins under edit and preferences.
A. When I try to open Softube Tape it causes the program to crash. It did this 3x's in a row.
B. Though it scanned and found my UAD plug in's, not all of them are showing up.
C. BFD drums don't show up either.

Will continue to work on this. I tried scanning plug-ins before the software opens and that does not help.
Old 13th November 2017 | Show parent
  #92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Bucci View Post
I love the layout of the mixer. You can basically do most things you want to do on this one page, unlike many DAWs that require multiple clicks. The sound of the EQ and compression reaction and sound I like better than the ones in Cubase. This is the good news.

Now the bad news. I just scanned my plug-ins under edit and preferences.
A. When I try to open Softube Tape it causes the program to crash. It did this 3x's in a row.
B. Though it scanned and found my UAD plug in's, not all of them are showing up.
C. BFD drums don't show up either.

Will continue to work on this. I tried scanning plug-ins before the software opens and that does not help.
Don't forget to clear cache and blacklist also and set the timeout slider to max!
Old 15th November 2017
  #93
Gear Nut
 
PascalC's Avatar
Verdict for Mixbus 4.2 ? Nice soft with great sound and nice workflow, for 3 OS. On the same computer with 2 partitions, one for win10 and another for Linux, I have the same results. Maybe 1% of difference of CPU Charge between the 2 OS for the same session. When I clean my win10, stop most of startup programs + scheduled tasks + services + I use jack connection kit even on win10 it's almost the same result.

Made a test last night on the same session
- 22% CPU charge on Linux
- 23% charge on win10

If I don't use jack on win10, CPU charge is higher and makes the soft not really usable, more than 30/35% even with ASIO drivers. Clean your win10, use bleachbit/ccleaner/glary utilities/revo uninstaller/smart defrag PLUS Jack and you'll have great results with mixbus on windows.
Old 15th November 2017
  #94
I was able to get all my UAD plug ins to show up now. Clearing the cache and black list did it, thanks.

I replaced my Midiman 4 x 4 with a Motu Express and the Midiman is not recognized by Mixbus and some other DAW's as well. They have not updated their drivers in years which I think is the problem and I am running Windows 10. So Mixbus sees the Motu Express and I am able to get the Mackie Controller and Expanders to work but they only work with limited function. Cubase uses all the controls the way I expect it to work and dedicated controls work properly.

It still does not see my BFD drums yet.

In running some mixes through this DAW I can tell you I really like the sound. I love the way the EQ sounds and I could really be happy 70% of the time just using their EQ. I still need my SSL and Massive Passive on certain things however. The compressor works well but lacks the personality of popular compressors like a 1176, LA2-A, API or SSL. The tape is subtle but it adds a little thickness that is really nice.

I don't see this DAW replacing Cubase 8.5 in my studio yet. I get the sound of my Neve or Manley pre's and gear into Cubase. It has a little more open sound and top end open over Mixbus. But if I want to control that and get closer to the Harrison sound, there are many options from the UAD Studer, Softube Tape and other plug ins that can help add more of the sound you want. With the Mixbus, your moving from left to right to get the sound you want. With Cubase and other DAW's your moving right to left to get the sound you want in that sweet spot center. The work flow of the Mixbus is more enjoyable however as more things are right there on the one page and you have less clicks of a mouse to get accomplished what you want to do.
Old 15th November 2017 | Show parent
  #95
Glenn, glad you worked it out. Your overall findings are quite similar to mine.

Although I'm a fan, Mixbus will never replace Cubase for me, too. Cubase is just too sophisticated, capable and familiar. Also it has proven much more stable. The newest Mixbus generation is quite solid, but still far more prone to an unexpected crash than Cubase. Its backup system is quite cool, however.

But after having it quite some time now and learning it more and more, it's proven to be a very nice alternative and I commited to using it exclusively on full album mixes lately (given the arrangements weren't too blown up or called for really complicated routing and processing). Edited and prepped the tracks in Cubase, exported them and did the mixes in Mixbus 32c.
Key for me was to scan my actual Cubase 30+ track template for the things that really matter. That was a great and educational process in itself and the 12 bus template I have eventually come up with in Mixbus 32c doesn't feel lacking in any way. Sure, some things I miss, but hunting for a workaround is a worthwhile experience. That's mixing.
And as much as I love my good ol' Cubase, the mixing experience in Mixbus is a lot more fun. Long story short: I'd suggest you try really using it for mixing a production, learning its features and quirks along the way.
Old 15th November 2017 | Show parent
  #96
Gear Nut
 
Cirrus's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PascalC View Post
Verdict for Mixbus 4.2 ? Nice soft with great sound and nice workflow, for 3 OS. On the same computer with 2 partitions, one for win10 and another for Linux, I have the same results. Maybe 1% of difference of CPU Charge between the 2 OS for the same session. When I clean my win10, stop most of startup programs + scheduled tasks + services + I use jack connection kit even on win10 it's almost the same result.

Made a test last night on the same session
- 22% CPU charge on Linux
- 23% charge on win10

If I don't use jack on win10, CPU charge is higher and makes the soft not really usable, more than 30/35% even with ASIO drivers. Clean your win10, use bleachbit/ccleaner/glary utilities/revo uninstaller/smart defrag PLUS Jack and you'll have great results with mixbus on windows.
Am I reading your post wrong, or are you saying Jack makes Mixbus have a lower resting CPU reading?
Old 15th November 2017 | Show parent
  #97
Gear Nut
 
PascalC's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
Am I reading your post wrong, or are you saying Jack makes Mixbus have a lower resting CPU reading?
yes.
Old 15th November 2017 | Show parent
  #98
Lives for gear
 

@ Cirrus & PascalC:

Jack should have no effect on DSP usage, assuming the driver, buffersize, and other variables are set the same as Mixbus. If you are seeing a difference, then I would attribute that to a fluke in your setup.

Jack is very powerful, but it is primarily a tool for software developers. The earliest versions of Mixbus (v1 & v2) required JACK to be installed on your computer, but that has not been the case for a long time. We can now access your soundcard directly using ASIO or CoreAudio.

Jack is very widely used on linux; but rarely used on mac, and even more rarely used on Windows.

If you don't "need" jack, then there is no benefit to installing it on your computer.

Best,
-Ben at Harrison
Old 15th November 2017 | Show parent
  #99
Lives for gear
 

@ JSchlomo :

Thanks for the insightful comments!

I agree that it is important to use the "right tool for the right job".

If someone hands you the tracks of a performance (either in the studio or "live"), there is no better tool than Mixbus to make it sound like a record. We have all the tools necessary to clean up those tracks and make them sound great: quickly & easily. It sounds like you've come to the same conclusion.


Best,
-Ben
Old 15th November 2017
  #100
Gear Nut
 
PascalC's Avatar
Did another test 5 mins ago
same computer same session same 0S same soundcard
without Jack xjadeo crashes a lot + around 27/28% CPU
with jack xjadeo does not crash + around 24% CPU

I stay with Jack ;0) (and yes it's a bit strange)

Not a pb anymore, I'm going to install a dual boot win10pro (HDa 1 to)/linux(HDb 1 To) and HDc (1To) for DATA for both OS. Mixbus is the perfect choice for Linux (plus reaper and tracktion) and maybe Ptools on win10 pro (protools or DP or Cubase ) I need solid OS and solid install, i don't want to do the beta tester anymore as I don't want to pay thousand and thousand euros anymore for apple macs.
Old 18th November 2017
  #101
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Not a pb anymore, I'm going to install a dual boot win10pro (HDa 1 to)/linux(HDb 1 To) and HDc (1To) for DATA for both OS. Mixbus is the perfect choice for Linux (plus reaper and tracktion) and maybe Ptools on win10 pro (protools or DP or Cubase ) I need solid OS and solid install, i don't want to do the beta tester anymore as I don't want to pay thousand and thousand euros anymore for apple macs.
if you're being wise with euros, is ardour no substitute for Mixbus? if you do not want to spend a lot on "Apple" products, Hackintosh is not a good option? i am asking because i am coming to the same point as you but considering these 2 options and you are not and i wonder if i am not seeing something you are. i am thinking of looking at local computers on Craigs List and having 3 computers ready to go instead of dual/tri boot, but first i may fiddle around with AV Linux. it is more stable, so i need to pick my interface and monitor speaker DPS as linux compatible. i am thinking of these
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/KH120
but i don't know if they work with Linux. what would any one use as DPS for linux monitor speakers?
linux interfaces: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/USBPre2 is this linux compatible https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/OnyxProducer22

Last edited by ramar; 18th November 2017 at 04:29 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 18th November 2017
  #102
Gear Nut
 

if price, redundancy and disk drive size are a factors, maybe having a few low cost computers is better. do you guys have local sellers of what looks like outdated servers on CL?
the price seems high for what these are:
Attached Thumbnails
Harrison Mixbus whats the verdict?-screen-shot-2017-11-18-7.33.44-am.jpg  
Old 18th November 2017
  #103
Gear Nut
 

considering these components are available and compatible with Apple, i think, and maybe Linux?:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MXSI216...=1O472ANDKHHWP
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N66ZESI...=1O472ANDKHHWP
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JCXXQ1A...=1O472ANDKHHWP

my question on a tonymacx86.com
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/m...tartup.238308/
although this one is $900 if i added correctly
Old 19th November 2017 | Show parent
  #104
Gear Nut
 
PascalC's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramar View Post
if you're being wise with euros, is ardour no substitute for Mixbus? if you do not want to spend a lot on "Apple" products, Hackintosh is not a good option? i am asking because i am coming to the same point as you but considering these 2 options and you are not and i wonder if i am not seeing something you are. i am thinking of looking at local computers on Craigs List and having 3 computers ready to go instead of dual/tri boot, but first i may fiddle around with AV Linux. it is more stable, so i need to pick my interface and monitor speaker DPS as linux compatible. i am thinking of these
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/KH120 but i don't know if they work with Linux. what would any one use as DPS for linux monitor speakers? linux interfaces: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/USBPre2 is this linux compatible https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/OnyxProducer22
I'm not really interested by Ardour. I prefer Mixbus + reaper on Linux. And I'm afraid Apple is going to sell Mac Arms,which is going to kill hackintosh. I don't trust them anymore, not only a pb of money. (I still have 2 Macs)
Quote:
to pick my interface and monitor speaker DPS as linux compatible. i am thinking of these
you're looking for monitors linux compatible ? huuu ^^...

IMO mixbus is one of the best solutions for AUDIO (with protools and samplitude) but not for midi. If I leave Mac os I'll need another daw for MIDI (Cubase, DP ? PTools ? Bitwig ? don't know for the moment) If I leave Apple world, I'll need two PCs (I'm not going to reboot the same PC 10 times a day for 1 project)
- 1 PC on Windows for Cubase DP or Prootols or another one
- 1PC for Mixbus/reaper... and Linux

FTM I have several licences: Mixbus 4.2, Tracktion7, Reaper5, LP9, LPX, Cubase elements 8
Done with sampro, and presonus studio one pro2 . I don't want to loose money and time anymore. For audio mixbus and reaper are some of the best ones for few bucks and for 3 OS. Maybe I could test Bitwig 2?

For the audio interfaces: ALL class compliant soundcards and mixing console with USB cards works out of the box with ALL OS (they work with Linux)

Ardour is NOT a substitute to Mixbus
But Mixbus is more than a substitute to Ardour. Reaper is a great soft but missing a LOT of packages you can find on Logic, Cubase, DP packaging. (No instruments no sampler etc)

Maybe the best solution for me is Mixbus(Linux 100 % for Audio and large sessions) + Protools+Kontakt(win10)

- Win10: Protools +Kontakt + MOTU AVB interface1 (small one)
- Linux: Mixbus + reaper + lightworks + resolve+ MOTU AVB interface2 (big one)
PC 1 connected to PC2 via AVB.
Quote:
if price, redundancy and disk drive size are a factors, maybe having a few low cost computers is better. do you guys have local sellers of what looks like outdated servers on CL?
the price seems high for what these are:
Looks interesting thanks.
Old 19th November 2017
  #105
Gear Nut
 

i called the PC surplus in CL, they say those PC do not have space for PCIe cards, they are shallow front to back. but for $50 ($200 total) he'd gat me a tower, probably ATX is what he meant. i have a feeling those computers came from a server farm?

you prefer cubase to steinberg's nuendo?

Quote:
you're looking for monitors linux compatible ? huuu ^^...
last thursday i was went to this RSPE pro audio event
https://www.rspeaudio.com/rspe-monitor-jam-a/377.htm
most, if not all of these, have DSP and took digital signal input. the Genelec software had a tone generator and mic and adjusted DSP for room acoustic and to focus sound to the mic location.
of the three venders that i asked, none were class compliant and none supported Linux
the show stopper for me were these
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/KH120
but they may not have had DSP but they were the cheapest at over $1000 for the pair (at $1000 for those at the event)

what interface are you using in ProTools? what PT are you using?
Old 19th November 2017 | Show parent
  #106
Gear Nut
 
PascalC's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramar View Post
i called the PC surplus in CL, they say those PC do not have space for PCIe cards, they are shallow front to back. but for $50 ($200 total) he'd gat me a tower, probably ATX is what he meant. i have a feeling those computers came from a server farm?
last thursday i was went to this RSPE pro audio event
https://www.rspeaudio.com/rspe-monitor-jam-a/377.htm
most, if not all of these, have DSP and took digital signal input. the Genelec software had a tone generator and mic and adjusted DSP for room acoustic and to focus sound to the mic location.
of the three venders that i asked, none were class compliant and none supported Linux
the show stopper for me were these
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/KH120
but they may not have had DSP but they were the cheapest at over $1000 for the pair (at $1000 for those at the event)

what interface are you using in ProTools? what PT are you using?
Actually trying PT12 as I have an Avid Account .

My favorite daw is samplitude (since 12 years) but i cannot bear their system of activation. i'd prefer a dongle . Lost my licence of samproX when switched from Win8 to 10 + after all the updates of Win10 .

But why not ? Mixbus could be my "new samplitude" nice features for audio, video and NO dongles NO activation, serious support.

I have several interfaces, all of them are class compliant:RME and Yamaha MGXU, now thinking about Allen and Heath Q16 or 24 ... Linux is a nice OS but I don't want to loose my Waves, and native instruments. not so easy Or I stay with Mixbus and reaper on Windows AND Linux.why not after all ? :0)
Old 20th November 2017
  #107
Gear Nut
 

linux has a way to play VSTs, at least AVL does. i guess it doesn't play all VSTs and the ones it plays, it does so intermittently. i was looking for the link and i couldn't find it.
do you mean a A&H QU16? check this tread out on the subject:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-m...dio-setup.html

i have no experience with consoles. but i read about them and posted this near the end if the thread post #93 :
Quote:
MoonTower (the OP) doesn't need pres or converters because the QU-16 has 16 XLR inputs and connects to the computer via USB
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Qu16Chrome $1700

deuc647 post 16:
Sub that A&H QU with the new SQ
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SQ5 $2800

formula418 post 28:
Also, our church has a Qu but I own a Midas M32 and I would definitely take the Midas over the Qu.* There is a gentleman on GS that has proven the clarity of the x32/m32 pre's at 0dB gain (such as if you run a pro preamp into them).* I have done that as well, and the results I feel are great.* Plus, it doubles as a live console too.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/M32R $2500

the SQ-5 has FX, check this out, it has quote: 48-input digital mixer with 96kHz FPGA processing end quote
that is the same type of plugins that antelope uses and the SQ-5 has a USB 2.0 interface. all the other mixing boards have USB also. i second deuc647 post 16, because FPGA is good quality, i would say, it may be like having an antelope mixing board for live performance and studio recording. only thing is the SQ-5 costs $1100 more than the QU-16

i don’t think the AB 168 is compatible with the SQ-5, so there should be a substitute. i take that back, i think both the AB 168 and the personal mixer are compatible:
SQ - Allen & Heath

do you need to look at the SQ-6? $3500
$2800-$3500=$700 more than the SQ-5. i think you should consider it. you are going to be playing it like an instrument.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SQ6
also, as i recall, A&H uses FPGA (Antelope) ... i'm thinking on the SQ series. some guy recommends an GS-R24M for $9000
Old 21st November 2017
  #108
Gear Nut
 

are you familiar with AV Linux?
page 5 here:
http://bandshed.net/pdf/AVL2017.3UserManual.pdf
Quote:
The 32bit version includes an extra build of Ardour that supports Windows VST Audio Plugins.
Old 21st November 2017
  #109
Gear Nut
 
PascalC's Avatar
i'm not familiar with AV linux at all
i'm on ubuntu studio and it works perfectly on LTS version
and i dont need anymore ardour

Harrison mixbus is a killer soft, thx to harrison
Quote:
The 32bit version
OMG
Old 21st November 2017 | Show parent
  #110
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PascalC View Post
i'm not familiar with AV linux at all
i'm on ubuntu studio and it works perfectly on LTS version
and i dont need anymore ardour

Harrison mixbus is a killer soft, thx to harrison

OMG
i like the latest versions too, including 64 bit.

i do not have any plugins accept the ones that came with Logic. i have some NI plugins, but i haven't used them yet.

it looks like AV Linux wants people to make their own sample libraries. with six velocities for each note. very DIY! it might be very complex when accounting for off/on axis and note cancelation.

i am not familiar with recording with a console with effects, especially with multiple DAWs. do you split the signal to record every instrument with a no-effects track AND one with effects?

do you have an artist mix with effects for tracking and record with no effects? do you record the yamaha MG XU effects? do you (Logic Pro lingo [i know you don't use Logic]) "bounce all tracks as audio" to export to another daw? how many times does the signal pass through the yamaha MG XU?
Old 24th November 2017 | Show parent
  #111
Gear Nut
 
PascalC's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenLoftis View Post
@ Cirrus & PascalC:
Jack should have no effect on DSP usage, assuming the driver, buffersize, and other variables are set the same as Mixbus. If you are seeing a difference, then I would attribute that to a fluke in your setup.
Jack is very powerful, but it is primarily a tool for software developers. The earliest versions of Mixbus (v1 & v2) required JACK to be installed on your computer, but that has not been the case for a long time. We can now access your soundcard directly using ASIO or CoreAudio.
Jack is very widely used on linux; but rarely used on mac, and even more rarely used on Windows.
If you don't "need" jack, then there is no benefit to installing it on your computer.
Best,
-Ben at Harrison
Sorry I was wrong don't know why but after a clean install of Win10 all works great again with or without jack. Strange but I noticed a lot of issues with last version of win10 pro (alias 1703) I'm sure with V5 Mixbus is going to be my main DAW. Only missing a control surface, tried with tablets but couldn't . Very stable, not expansive at all, no dongles or activation, some of the great plugins ever, works on all OS, nice support (best one), great sound and best workflow ever (better than studio one), a great daw made by one of the best cies in the world, a dream coming true. And with the next version, I'll take 32C too and sell my Waves plugins. I must say I don't need Logic anymore, with Mixbus and some of Native instruments or melda I have everything I need.
Quote:
do you have an Artist Mix with effects for tracking and record with no effects? do you record the yamaha MG XU effects? do you (Logic Pro lingo [i know you don't use Logic]) "bounce all tracks as audio" to export to another daw? how many times does the signal pass through the yamaha MG XU?
If you need low latency and solid drivers take a RME soundcard or more. Not a MGXU. Not bad for the price but not at same level than a RME. (had both) And I must stop Linux on my main PC as with last version of win10 I cannot install a dualboot anymore.A shame. Worked great with Win10 1603 and win8.1 but makes win10 1703 crash. My Linux is still on my lenovo laptop. (with Mixbus 4.2 and Waveform 8) As already said, a lot of issues with win10 pro 1703, A LOT.

And to ramar i have nothing against ardour, without Ardour, no Mixbus. But I don't want to use dozens of softwares anymore. I could take Ardour + Mixbus + Waves Tracks Live for 1 dollar more but it's simply ridiculous because mixbus is based on Ardour. I pay a sub to Ardour because we need it and because it's the base but Mixbus is so great, I don't need more. Even PT12 seems old compared with Mixbus (I had a sub to avid pt12)

Oh I'm 50 years old now
too old to use dozens of softwares, life is to short. And for the same reasons, leaving logic for mixbus too. tried and bought so many many daws, from cakewalk to samplitude, protrolls, and mixbus, i'm done it's over now, time to make MUSIC. If you take the time to consider it, for less than 100 euros you can have 3 DAWS for win/mac/linux, Harrison, Reaper and Waveform (alias Tracktion8). Take one or two of them (bought waveform yesterday for...23 euros, and it has nice features as object oriented system), take kontakt reaktor (for -50% of the normal price for black friday) and a lot of nice plugins we can have for some dollars for black friday, and you can make music. And for ZERO euro/dollar you can make movies with Lightworks, Resolve and Fusion, as they are crossplatform too. Or you can pay thousand dollars with terrible activations and iloks (I have serious issues with my Ilok so I cannot launch my Slate VCC or take a month to PT12, I'm done with those things) with other products. Your choice.

Quote:
i know you don't use Logic
I use Logic since PC version. But I'm also done with apple's new politics. new macpro is a mess, macminis are abandonwares, Over. The best thing we can do as customers is taking some great daws without paying the price of a car, and keep our money for nice hardware (harrison surface control? RME, PC workstation under win10 or linux ...)
Old 29th November 2017
  #112
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
too old to use dozens of softwares, life is to short. And for the same reasons, leaving logic for mixbus too.
thank you so much for your posts. this really helps me zero in what i am going to try for. i was gearing up for AV Linux, but i saw a tutorial Tracktion/Waveform and saw it was class compliant (can you say that about software? lol) along with Mixbus but dependent on Ubuntu Linux, so maybe i will not be using AV Linux. and it was on sale with plugins. so i got both Tracktion/Waveform with plugins (including some version of Celemony Melodyne) and Mixbus with it's plugins hoping against hope that these plugins would be as good or better than Windows and Mac OS dependent ones. i was worried i might have wasted money on the plugins, but i figured i only had a few hours to decide to get them or not. i am worried about Apple like you said. they ruined the mac mini and they charge so much for their computers and iPads. i am going to switch to Linux and run Mixbus and Tracktion/Waveform, but they will run in my iMac, so i will do that and save to build a class compliant computer, if i can and simplify like you are. i am missing UA plugins. it will take me a while to learn my way around Mixbus and Tracktion/Waveform and their plugins (i got a soft synth too), i hope for UA replacements for either mixbus or Tracktion/Waveform will come so i do not need to go the UA route. i am amazed at the new tech in computers now too, something like 12 cores and 24 threads and fast M.2 will run Mac OS, i think: memory Plextor SSD Storage Solutions | Products | M8Pe(Y) , 4 times faster than normal SSD. mother boards need to catch up and cool down, i think

Last edited by ramar; 29th November 2017 at 04:31 PM.. Reason: grammar
Old 3rd February 2018
  #113
Another HMB thread with various mentions of summing.. There is no 'analog summing' in HMB folks. It has eq, compression and emulated tape saturation - that's it. Match gain and pan law with your favourite DAW and it will null.
Old 3rd February 2018
  #114
Lives for gear
 
Cornish1999's Avatar
^yawn
Old 4th February 2018 | Show parent
  #115
Lives for gear
 
Robo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by wreltch View Post
Match gain and pan law with your favourite DAW and it will null.
To what depth
Old 11th April 2018 | Show parent
  #116
Quote:
Originally Posted by wreltch View Post
Match gain and pan law with your favourite DAW and it will null.
No. I just checked that intensively today. The difference is really small and low in volume, you have to turn up the speakers to hear it, but it doesn't null. That was against Cubase with all tracks in MB32c routed straight to the master and the saturation on that one dialed down completely.

If you activate the HP/LP filters and EQ on every channel in MB32c (without actually turning a knob) the difference is a lot more as it gives you a slight bump around 60 Hz with a gentle rolloff below as well as a very gentle high rise peaking at about 14k with a steep rolloff above.
Old 29th October 2018 | Show parent
  #117
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSchlomo View Post
No. I just checked that intensively today. The difference is really small and low in volume, you have to turn up the speakers to hear it, but it doesn't null. That was against Cubase with all tracks in MB32c routed straight to the master and the saturation on that one dialed down completely.

If you activate the HP/LP filters and EQ on every channel in MB32c (without actually turning a knob) the difference is a lot more as it gives you a slight bump around 60 Hz with a gentle rolloff below as well as a very gentle high rise peaking at about 14k with a steep rolloff above.
Well, Ben stated that it would null when bypassing filters, eq, and comp.
On the other hand, on the list of features they list "summing" as if it was a special implementation. Conversely they wouldn't mention it, since all DAWs implement summing of course.
I hope Ben can clarify this...
Old 29th October 2018 | Show parent
  #118
Lives for gear
 

The channel EQs and other elements are always processing, even if they are bypassed.

If you turn all the processing off ( and turn the bus saturation fully down ) then you can expect Mixbus to null with other DAWs down to a very quiet level (similar to differences in dither). It is possible to hear a difference in Mixbus with all the settings "off", but you'd need very good ears indeed! I've had personal experience with mixers who can detect a difference in dither algorithms, so it makes sense that a similarly sensitive person could hear the Mixbus difference even when all settings are "off".

Once you start to mix ( applying the eq, compressors, panning, bussing, saturation, and other tools of the mixer ) then of course the differences will get much larger.

Best,
-Ben at Harrison
Old 29th October 2018 | Show parent
  #119
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenLoftis View Post
The channel EQs and other elements are always processing, even if they are bypassed.

If you turn all the processing off ( and turn the bus saturation fully down ) then you can expect Mixbus to null with other DAWs down to a very quiet level (similar to differences in dither). It is possible to hear a difference in Mixbus with all the settings "off", but you'd need very good ears indeed! I've had personal experience with mixers who can detect a difference in dither algorithms, so it makes sense that a similarly sensitive person could hear the Mixbus difference even when all settings are "off".

Once you start to mix ( applying the eq, compressors, panning, bussing, saturation, and other tools of the mixer ) then of course the differences will get much larger.

Best,
-Ben at Harrison
Thanks Ben for clarifying
That means that there's no special summing algorithm applied
Old 29th October 2018 | Show parent
  #120
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by noou View Post
Thanks Ben for clarifying
That means that there's no special summing algorithm applied
Hi noou,

Mixbus is a customized version of the Ardour workstation, and we implemented our own custom summing engine to replace the default DAW mixer. We use many of the same techniques that we use in our large-format consoles.

We do not apply any "crosstalk" or "distortion" in the summing engine ( we made sure to avoid this in the analog consoles, too! ) However, we do use techniques to minimize digital artifacts. And this results in a more "analog" sound.

I hope this helps!
-Ben at Harrison
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 4594 views: 587612
Avatar for Arseny
Arseny 3 weeks ago
replies: 97 views: 28194
Avatar for mowmow
mowmow 15th September 2010
replies: 2637 views: 512829
Avatar for JSchlomo
JSchlomo 13th September 2019
replies: 56 views: 9186
Avatar for Mege
Mege 4th February 2018
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump