The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Harrison Mixbus whats the verdict?
Old 3rd August 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Man, the leveller sounds fantastic, really subtle but brings out detail in a recording perfectly even with a lot of gain reduction. The EQ is equally good, it really has this kind of 'realness' that you find in things like Nebula and utility console EQs, a kind of tangible quality that is pretty hard to explain. The tape saturation is ok if used very sparingly but unfortunately distorts at high levels, and not necessarily in a good way, but this is easy to turn down. There are a lot of great things about Mixbus but I think overall they have nailed it, from the console workflow approach (which DAWs should always have had), the grand sonic presentation, and the Harrison heritage.

I have a theory that the reason Mixbus sounds so great is that the DSP is not simply acting on individual tracks like many people believe ("oh, we can replicate that in any DAW by adding an EQ/comp to every track") but that it is acting on the DAW as a whole with some special coding interacting in complex ways which could include things like crosstalk, distortion and other subtle effects to make up the whole console aesthetic. In addition I think they must have eliminated some digital problems like aliasing, dither, clipping, etc, and this all goes towards a very nice sonic presentation indeed.
Old 3rd August 2015
Gear Addict

From the site:

Quote:
The Mixbus engine is internally dithered, ramped, and gain*staged so that sound quality is preserved as close to analog as possible
I guess its constantly doing this in the background?
Old 3rd August 2015
Lives for gear

The more I use it the more I'm impressed. It sounds really good.
Old 3rd August 2015 | Show parent
JGM
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
Man, the leveller sounds fantastic, really subtle but brings out detail in a recording perfectly even with a lot of gain reduction. The EQ is equally good, it really has this kind of 'realness' that you find in things like Nebula and utility console EQs, a kind of tangible quality that is pretty hard to explain. The tape saturation is ok if used very sparingly but unfortunately distorts at high levels, and not necessarily in a good way, but this is easy to turn down. There are a lot of great things about Mixbus but I think overall they have nailed it, from the console workflow approach (which DAWs should always have had), the grand sonic presentation, and the Harrison heritage.

I have a theory that the reason Mixbus sounds so great is that the DSP is not simply acting on individual tracks like many people believe ("oh, we can replicate that in any DAW by adding an EQ/comp to every track") but that it is acting on the DAW as a whole with some special coding interacting in complex ways which could include things like crosstalk, distortion and other subtle effects to make up the whole console aesthetic. In addition I think they must have eliminated some digital problems like aliasing, dither, clipping, etc, and this all goes towards a very nice sonic presentation indeed.
Great review. Thank you.
Old 2nd October 2015
Here for the gear

Ok, I paid for the upgrade and gave it a try, and gotta say, I'm sold. MixBus 3 is great. It gives you a really tight focused bottom end, I'm really impressed to be honest. Also, V3 is also ahead of V2.5 in terms of usability, the edit window is a lot more intuitive now, well according to my first impressions anyway.

There are some downsides though... there still seem to be a few bugs in the system, it crashes far more than Logic for eg. It's also generally less polished than Logic in terms of features, you notice that it still has a ways to go. It seems to also require MUCH more processor power than Logic.

I can see myself trackinging/songwriting/editing elsewhere, but mixing more in MixBus. But, all these are initial impressions based on my first session with MixBus, so... take them with a grain of salt.
Old 2nd October 2015 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
I suspect this is spot on, they've definitely discovered something new here. Its such a punchy, robust sound. A sound that to my ears is kind of reminicent of what the Console3 mix system by AirWindows does, though without any phasing issues you sometimes get with Console3.
Old 15th October 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
This is a bunch on nonsense. Special coding like special sauce? Gimme a break!

The only difference is Mixbus has their saturation on each track. Otherwise it nulls with other DAW's cause like other DAW's it doesn't create sound.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam c View Post
This is a bunch on nonsense. Special coding like special sauce? Gimme a break!

The only difference is Mixbus has their saturation on each track. Otherwise it nulls with other DAW's cause like other DAW's it doesn't create sound.
We would consider Mixbus "broken" if it didn't null with other DAWs (down to dither level) - if you don't turn any knobs. But if you don't turn any knobs then there was no need to mix in the first place, eh?

Mixbus is really good at 4 things:

1) Fixing problems with live tracks: Mixbus helps you quickly fix the recording levels (with region gain and input trim); level the tracks for easy mixing (using per-channel leveler); cut unwanted frequencies (using HPF and proportional-Q band to cut ringing) and improve the sound of lo-fi instruments for hi-fi mixing ( with our Character plugins )

2) Mixing "artistically" as if the mixer were a musical instrument: All the knobs and meters are laid out nicely, bussing is straightforward, multiple stages of EQ and compression are immediately available, and plugin controls can be put right into the mixer strips.

3) Mastering tracks to a reasonably high volume level, with a natural sound: The built-in tape saturation stages, limiter, and K-14 + Correlation meters are all built-in and visible from the beginning of your mix.

4) (and now with v3) Exporting to multiple formats, with post-processing steps such as normalization and a command-line scripting hook.

None of that is "special sauce", unless you mean the fact that we've developed these techniques with 40 years of ultra-high-end clients.

"I don't mean to brag, but we're kind of a big deal" No other DAW maker has sold a $1M console, you know.

-Ben at Harrison
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenLoftis View Post
We would consider Mixbus "broken" if it didn't null with other DAWs (down to dither level) - if you don't turn any knobs. But if you don't turn any knobs then there was no need to mix in the first place, eh?

Mixbus is really good at 4 things:

1) Fixing problems with live tracks: Mixbus helps you quickly fix the recording levels (with region gain and input trim); level the tracks for easy mixing (using per-channel leveler); cut unwanted frequencies (using HPF and proportional-Q band to cut ringing) and improve the sound of lo-fi instruments for hi-fi mixing ( with our Character plugins )

2) Mixing "artistically" as if the mixer were a musical instrument: All the knobs and meters are laid out nicely, bussing is straightforward, multiple stages of EQ and compression are immediately available, and plugin controls can be put right into the mixer strips.

3) Mastering tracks to a reasonably high volume level, with a natural sound: The built-in tape saturation stages, limiter, and K-14 + Correlation meters are all built-in and visible from the beginning of your mix.

4) (and now with v3) Exporting to multiple formats, with post-processing steps such as normalization and a command-line scripting hook.

None of that is "special sauce", unless you mean the fact that we've developed these techniques with 40 years of ultra-high-end clients.

"I don't mean to brag, but we're kind of a big deal" No other DAW maker has sold a $1M console, you know.

-Ben at Harrison
I hope some actually pay attention to your comments about nulling and no special sauce.

I am very familiar with your DAW as an early buyer and current owner of V3. I would argue about the Console comparison. If you built MixBus from the ground up it might hold more water but you are using an open source, Ardour. Your consoles are stellar, no doubt... but maybe you could explain to me why that would make you a better software coder? And I like Mixbus... as it gets more stable I will use it more....without the special sauce.

Peace
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam c View Post
Your consoles are stellar, no doubt... but maybe you could explain to me why that would make you a better software coder?
Harrison has been developing software since the very early days.

Our first fully-digital-digitally-controlled console (it was still analog !!!!) was developed in the 80's.

Our current large-format digital consoles use "native processing" ( 64bit Intel architecture ) for the internal DSP, and much of that technology is built-into Mixbus as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam
And I like Mixbus... as it gets more stable I will use it more....without the special sauce.
Thank you !!!!

We are working very hard to make Mixbus meet your expectations. We greatly appreciate input like yours.

Best,
-Ben at Harrison
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenLoftis View Post
No other DAW maker has sold a $1M console, you know.

-Ben at Harrison
Unless you count SSL, which was/is the maintainer and purveyor of Soundscape for years.
Old 15th October 2015
JGM
Lives for gear

Hey Ben, I really like Mixbus 3, but like others have mentioned it still has a little ways to go in terms of the other big DAWs out there. The sound is really good, and the V3 is much better laid out. One thing though..... And I know it's created with an analog console in mind, but coming from pro tools in terms of mixing a record those 8 busses are waaaay too constrictive for me. I use lots of efx sends and would need a lot more busses to facilitate my work flow. Is there a way to add more busses for efx sends, and then bus those busses to the 8 main busses? I hope my question makes sense. If there isn't, I would love for this feature to be implemented. More busses please.
Old 15th October 2015
JGM
Lives for gear

Greetings Ben, quick question. Is there a way to create more busses for efx sends? I find the 8 not enough for mixing a record the way I like.
Thanks.
Old 19th October 2015
Gear Guru
I do like the sound of Mixbus and the layout is great!
Old 19th January 2016
I had to write a bit as I own both a Harrison console tv3 and mixbus. Harrison mixbus sounds phenomenal. It has a deepness and a wide was that you can't get in other DAWs (ahem protools). The sound is not as good as the Harrison console itself but it's the best sounding DAW I've ever used. I don't know how they did it but it's really awesome! every time I mix in it I just think, wow, this sounds great.
Old 13th August 2017 | Show parent
I just tried mixbus v4. Took an old track and imported the channels.
Using th SW was kinda like going back to th 90s out of the box,
The sound of this daw knocked me sideways, it added a nice analog richness to the sound, the built in eq, comp, limiters are very usable and easy to use, very soft and round.

I think I'll try it for final mixing our next track.
Old 17th September 2017
Gear Maniac

so what's the difference between the extremely cheap version and the extremely expensive 32C version?
Old 17th September 2017 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdman42 View Post
so what's the difference between the extremely cheap version and the extremely expensive 32C version?
I can't answer that question as well as others, I am sure, but I know that the extremely expensive version was on sale for 129.00 until a week or so ago.
Old 20th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdman42 View Post
The cheap version is limited to 8 busses and has a 3 band EQ that's not fully parametric. The expensive version allows for 12 busses and has fully parametric 4 band EQ, as well as a more sophisticated summing algorithm and certain features like concentric controls on bus sends (gain and pan).
Old 20th September 2017 | Show parent
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPXRH View Post
I can't answer that question as well as others, I am sure, but I know that the extremely expensive version was on sale for 129.00 until a week or so ago.
Why is that expensive when bx consoles are being sold for around the same money? It's pretty full featured!......
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardis View Post
Why is that expensive when bx consoles are being sold for around the same money? It's pretty full featured!......
Did you misunderstand my post? I'm not saying 129.00 (the sale price) is expensive.
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPXRH View Post
Did you misunderstand my post? I'm not saying 129.00 (the sale price) is expensive.
Sorry, misread it. They frequently have sales for even $99- upgrade...
Old 5th November 2017
Lives for gear

Just got mine in the sale this weekend after a lot of reading and research. Planning to use this as my main mixer working out of Live, Maschine and my collection of old ebay sourced hardware
Old 7th November 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Finally bit the bullet and bought the sale price upgrade from Mixbus 3 to MB32c - Unfortunately the part they forgot to tell us is that you get a lousy USD to GBP rate AND they add 20% UK sales tax after the fact.

Just hope I get on with it OK as I guess its too late to get my money back now!
Old 7th November 2017 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Thumbs up

You won't regret it.. My go to mixing DAW right now and very stable
Old 8th November 2017
Lives for gear

What about the higher screen resolution that 32c requires? Does it simply not run, if my resolution is lower? Or does one have to zoom and pan somehow...
Old 8th November 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmbeatz View Post
What about the higher screen resolution that 32c requires? Does it simply not run, if my resolution is lower? Or does one have to zoom and pan somehow...
It appears to auto detect your screen size and offer an alternative resize, cut down view for a smaller screen. With bigger screens you get the full view with those lovely big eq’s etc. It needs a big screen to get the full value out of it imho.Lots of info on the Harrison forums which are very helpful btw.

My experience so far of this product is good but as commented in this thread you get a naff exchange rate and the American sales tax add on. However the sale price is still a great reduction and it feels like you’re getting a lot for your money. As Harrison say themselves it can very much be used as the second Daw in your workflow for mixing and summing. Even just running stems from old projects through it without much extra work have a noticeable effect.

In my self deluding noob hobbyist world this gets me closer to the sound of the old school stuff I love. Also as an educational tool to learn mixing on it’s the best thing I’ve come across to really understand the craft, as it is just like having a big pro console to play with.
Old 8th November 2017 | Show parent
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Finally bit the bullet and bought the sale price upgrade from Mixbus 3 to MB32c - Unfortunately the part they forgot to tell us is that you get a lousy USD to GBP rate AND they add 20% UK sales tax after the fact.

Just hope I get on with it OK as I guess its too late to get my money back now!
With all due respect, everything you mentioned is outside their control. If you sell a product, exchange rates, taxes, etc aren't something you can take responsibility (ie liability), for. No company would do that.

On a more positive note, I'm sure you will love the system. It is wonderful and only getting better....
Old 9th November 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardis View Post
With all due respect, everything you mentioned is outside their control. If you sell a product, exchange rates, taxes, etc aren't something you can take responsibility (ie liability), for. No company would do that.

On a more positive note, I'm sure you will love the system. It is wonderful and only getting better....
Us Limeys are used to prices that include sales tax.
Old 9th November 2017 | Show parent
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Us Limeys are used to prices that include sales tax.
Yeah then there's VAT! Hey but you got health insurance!.....

Hope you're liking Mixbus, I grimly hung on from version 2 and it is sooo much better. Ben is an amazing tech guy.
📝 Reply