The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Harrison Mixbus whats the verdict?
Old 24th April 2015
Lives for gear

Come on now, let's be fair - jackpilot does work. It runs just fine on my Mac. Even Bob Katz gave it a good review.

Karloff, sorry to hear of your troubles man. I've never used a Hackintosh, I really don't know what's happening there. Hope you can get them resolved.
Old 24th April 2015
Lives for gear

True, I was just joking because of their landing page not working.
But seriously hackingtosh and these kind of tools don't gell together really well.
As currently it seems that windows flavours of daws work more stable under win8 than the recent Apple OS'es
Doing a virtual port loopback is no problem in win, if you have RME TMFX you can even do it directly without the use of any 3rd pty tool.
Though I have to say, setting up Mixbus as a realtime "external summer" for your DAW, is a bit of a stretch of user expectations in general. DAWs with audiodrivers in non exclusive mode are far from stable. Just export wavs and open a mixdown session in Mixbus.

Last edited by Analogue Mastering; 24th April 2015 at 09:22 AM..
Old 24th April 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cintronic View Post
The overall mix is so much better than anything I can do in Ableton with all my my best plugins. Wont be mixing in "Live" again.

this is what I'm looking for myself.

Old 24th April 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analogue Mastering View Post
True, I was just joking because of their landing page not working.
But seriously hackingtosh and these kind of tools don't gell together really well.
As currently it seems that windows flavours of daws work more stable under win8 than the recent Apple OS'es
Doing a virtual port loopback is no problem in win, if you have RME TMFX you can even do it directly without the use of any 3rd pty tool.
Though I have to say, setting up Mixbus as a realtime "external summer" for your DAW, is a bit of a stretch of user expectations in general. DAWs with audiodrivers in non exclusive mode are far from stable. Just export wavs and open a mixdown session in Mixbus.
Hmmm, yeah... I guess I am a little spoiled with Linux there.

At my work studio on the Mac I just port from Pro Tools into Mixbus or use exported files, but at my home studio with Linux I patch audio and MIDI all over the place in realtime through multiple DAWs/standalone programs with Jack. I use a app from KXStudio called Catia for a UI, occasionally another one called Patchage. Pretty much a modular setup, and no latency. So freely patching between/syncing apps is possible and easy... in Linux anyway.

Note that I am not flat out recommending Linux for audio, I think the saying goes that it is user friendly, but very picky about its friends.
Old 24th April 2015
Lives for gear

Understood, I've got little experience with Linux, after getting nowhere with GIMP and having to recompile my whole OS for something as simple as updating a videodriver I gave up. It's probably me, not Linux, but I'm spoiled by Windows straightforward point & click, Linux feels like self-flagellation to me heh
Old 24th April 2015
Lives for gear

That's what I thought about Windows 8!
Old 24th April 2015
Lives for gear

Yeah each to their own. But back to Mixbus, I would recommend anyone to extensively play with, but in stages
Not getting hung up on system issues or not getting 3rd pty stuff to work.
Try the mixbus by itself first, just export the stems of one of your projects.
When that all works flawless and you get an impression of it's potential, then try to make all kind of 3rd PTY loopback connections, the success of these is outside Mixbus controll
Old 24th April 2015
Lives for gear

Anyone using Mixbus who also uses Live?

How does it stack up using external hardware effects? Are you able to get the timing right and stable? Easy to set up and use?

Can you map knobs in Mixbus to a midi controller easily?

For $40, I am thinking of giving this a go too.

Last edited by Jean Luc Cougar; 24th April 2015 at 09:00 PM..
Old 24th April 2015
I been messing about and at the end ill stick with one daw... for me, it for fun.
Old 24th April 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
Just export wavs and open a mixdown session in Mixbus.
It's not like that. If I start a tune in Bitwig and get it 90% there content wise and print and put the audio in Logic and then work transitions/details/layers/etc there I really don't want to have to then print the bloody stems AGAIN, lose all the send effects etc and mix in mixbus if I can help it. Of course I could, but swapping DAW twice is a bit much, whereas if I can pipe Logic into Mixbus and still keep doing my tweaks on home ground all the way into harbour that would be rather appealing.

Might just try it out for mixing someone else's ready track at some point though, or for acoustic stuff.
Old 25th April 2015
Lives for gear

Why are u using Bitwig AND Logic AND are still looking for a 3rd DAW? What does Logic bring you that Bitwig doesn't?
Old 25th April 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
Why are u using Bitwig AND Logic AND are still looking for a 3rd DAW? What does Logic bring you that Bitwig doesn't?
I know Logic inside out, so I can happily edit and do whatever. Bitwig is new to me and inspirational in the same way Ableton is to other people. It makes me focus on making the music first and the session view vibe makes it superbly easy and vibey to perform an arrangement instead of constructing it by putting legos in a row. This makes for a COMPLETELY different and MUCH quicker way to instinctively scetch out a tune to 90%. And for an utterly different result, dynamically. It's ALIVE.

But mixing in Bitwig is not for me, at least not yet. I mean, the effect returns don't even have sends one them. That alone is game over for me, and other things aren't there yet either. It will soon enough get there though I believe and I miht mix in there by then. For now at least I view it more like a creation instrument. So then after the arrangement is right and about 90% of instrumentation i.e. the tensions on all parts of the arrangement are functional, export the audio to Logic and do the rest/embelleshing and mixing there. It's sweet. Keeps me from digging around in the wrong aspects at the wrong time and mess myself up, is more fun, and makes arranging a LOT more effective.

So I read that people successfully port Logic separate channel outputs into Mixbus, hell Paul White even did it in the SOS review, so surely it can't be rocket science and 'to much to ask'.......mixing in Logic I still use a LOT of things like SDRR and such to make things feel more 'real'...if porting into Mixbus on the end would help here I want that! And from what people here say, and some people I trust rather a lot, it actually CAN do that........

So, what's so weird about this for you??
Old 25th April 2015
Lives for gear

Nothing is weird, it all makes sense, I'm just more from "less is more" so personally I would commit to 1 daw and learn it inside out and work around it's quirks, but that's me. Realize that that might not be for everyone.
And I agree with you, in theory it all should work, but I've only had issues trying to connect audio in multiple programs together, either performance or stabillity issues. Same with hackintosh, it all works nice in theory, but there is always that one thing that didn't work for me. Seems you encounter simmilar challenges.
Old 25th April 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
Nothing is weird, it all makes sense, I'm just more from "less is more" so personally I would commit to 1 daw and learn it inside out and work around it's quirks, but that's me. Realize that that might not be for everyone.
And I agree with you, in theory it all should work, but I've only had issues trying to connect audio in multiple programs together, either performance or stabillity issues. Same with hackintosh, it all works nice in theory, but there is always that one thing that didn't work for me. Seems you encounter simmilar challenges.
I can't 'work around' Logic's inability to lanuch clips and scenes and get the same arrangement dynamic, nor can I get around certain things missing in Bitwig that affect how I like to mix......

Not sure yet, until now Hackintosh has done anything a Mac can do for me. This feels like it may just be Jack, let's see if I can still make it sing. Bought the bloody software now, so I'm going to find a way to ......
Old 25th April 2015
Lives for gear

I hope you sort it out, mixbus as a front end of Logic is an immediate upgrade.
Old 25th April 2015
Lives for gear

Karloff, have you tried using qjackctl as a GUI, or just jackpilot so far?

Qjackctl is the default Jack GUI for Linux, but there is an OSX version too. Not sure what versions of Jack and OSX you are using, but if qjackctl was part of the Jack package you installed and it fires up then I might be able to help you with some of the setup to help get things running. I set up jackpilot so long ago and I just haven't messed with it since that I probably wouldn't be so much help there, but may be able to.

Also I am assuming you have JackRouter installed?

I think the main issue with Jack is that they went with flexibility over ease of use, so setup can be a pain until one becomes familiar with it.

Last edited by robot gigante; 25th April 2015 at 09:54 AM..
Old 25th April 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by robot gigante View Post
Karloff, have you tried using qjackctl as a GUI, or just jackpilot so far?

Qjackctl is the default Jack GUI for Linux, but there is an OSX version too. Not sure what versions of Jack and OSX you are using, but if qjackctl was part of the Jack package you installed and it fires up then I might be able to help you with some of the setup to help get things running. I set up jackpilot so long ago and I just haven't messed with it since that I probably wouldn't be so much help there unfortunately.

Also I am assuming you have JackRouter installed?

I think the main issue with Jack is that they went with flexibility over ease of use, so setup can be a pain until one becomes familiar with it.
Thanks very much for the offer, I'll pm you.
Old 8th July 2015
Gear Maniac
this looks really good. And with Version 3 out, i kinda wanna give it a try.
Old 11th July 2015
Haven't really had time to work with it enough yet, but I gotta say I ****ing love the buss compressor, I think its the nicest I've heard in any daw!

Old 12th July 2015
Bumping this thread with a question:
CPU-wise, is this a heavy bugger?

Looks awesome and I really want to try it out!

Cheers
Old 14th July 2015
Gear Addict

MixBus v3 is a must have for me. Harrison has added the features that previously prevented me from being a dedicated user. Now I have no excuse. This is very exciting. If it's as good as I anticipate, the DAW world will be forever changed.

Last edited by Tommy Zai; 14th July 2015 at 09:32 PM.. Reason: grammar
Old 14th July 2015
JGM
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Zai View Post
MixBus v3 is a must have for me. Harrison has added the features that previously prevented me from being a dedicated user. Now I have no excuse. This is very exciting. If it's as good as I anticipate, the DAW world will be forever changed.
Which features have they added that you were waiting on?

And it does look exciting!
I'm looking forward to using this one. I hope it is stable.
Still like the idea of routing out of Pro Tools, and use MB3 as a summing mixer of sorts.

Please post your thoughts once you've had a go of it.
Old 14th July 2015
Gear Addict

MixBus 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGM View Post
Which features have they added that you were waiting on?
These two features, when combined with the power of a virtual Harrison console, make the new version amazing:

1. Unlimited MIDI tracks & virtual instruments
2. No longer requires JACK

I am also excited about the enhanced compressor/limiter that is on-board and the more accurate scalable interface.

For me, what this means is . . . unless I'm doing a project that requires intensive, sophisticated MIDI, I can exclusively use MixBus. Having said that, I do have Numerology by Five12, which will continue to be my application for MIDI madness, and now I can import MIDI tracks into MixBus. Version 3, in theory, will simplify my setup and workflow. Yet, this MixBus update really changes things for me and probably for many other eMusicians, producers, etc. It's especially wonderful for those who prefer and appreciate the power and hands-on feel of a hardware console . . . old school cats and young dudes, who find their other DAW of choice is getting in the way of their creativity.

I did a little user review a while back for v2. I might just add this ramble to it. ;-)

Last edited by Tommy Zai; 14th July 2015 at 11:56 PM..
Old 15th July 2015
JGM
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Zai View Post
These two features, when combined with the power of a virtual Harrison console, make the new version amazing:

1. Unlimited MIDI tracks & virtual instruments
2. No longer requires JACK

I am also excited about the enhanced compressor/limiter that is on-board and the more accurate scalable interface.

For me, what this means is . . . unless I'm doing a project that requires intensive, sophisticated MIDI, I can exclusively use MixBus. Having said that, I do have Numerology by Five12, which will continue to be my application for MIDI madness, and now I can import MIDI tracks into MixBus. Version 3, in theory, will simplify my setup and workflow. Yet, this MixBus update really changes things for me and probably for many other eMusicians, producers, etc. It's especially wonderful for those who prefer and appreciate the power and hands-on feel of a hardware console . . . old school cats and young dudes, who find their other DAW of choice is getting in the way of their creativity.

I did a little user review a while back for v2. I might just add this ramble to it. ;-)
I got you. I want to trey a mix on it soon. Just waiting for the right project.
Also have to figure out how to get V3 to see my AU & VST plugins. Last time I opened it I wasn't able to see any of my plugins in the plugins manager.
Old 15th July 2015
Lives for gear

Preferences

Quote:
I got you. I want to trey a mix on it soon. Just waiting for the right project.
Also have to figure out how to get V3 to see my AU & VST plugins. Last time I opened it I wasn't able to see any of my plugins in the plugins manager.
I found it in Preferences Plugins. Under the plugin section it allows you to scan your plugins.
Old 15th July 2015
JGM
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atak View Post
I found it in Preferences Plugins. Under the plugin section it allows you to scan your plugins.
Thanks Atak, I'll check it out later.

FOR ALL:
Just watched most of this. MB V3 looks a little different in vid than what was released. Very informative though.
http://youtu.be/EKYhVl1JBXE
Old 16th July 2015
Lives for gear

Great Video

Quote:
Thanks Atak, I'll check it out later.

FOR ALL:
Just watched most of this. MB V3 looks a little different in vid than what was released. Very informative though.
http://youtu.be/EKYhVl1JBXE
Indeed Ben pointed out some key facts in why anyone would want to use Mixbus as well as pointing out some of the many features. Thanks JGM
Old 16th July 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by msl View Post
Haven't really had time to work with it enough yet, but I gotta say I ****ing love the buss compressor, I think its the nicest I've heard in any daw!
Does the buss compressor come standard? I'm looking at their plug-ins and none of them are really catching my eye considering what I already own.

Really like the idea behind this DAW though, I must say.
Old 16th July 2015
Lives for gear
Anyone actually tracking/editing/mixing 100% in MixBus? I bought it, never really used it. I have Slate VCC/VBC/VTM and know them well, so couldn't really justify another DAW to get saturation/console simulation.
Old 28th July 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Tool View Post
Does the buss compressor come standard? I'm looking at their plug-ins and none of them are really catching my eye considering what I already own.

Really like the idea behind this DAW though, I must say.

Hey sorry man didn't see this. Yeah its just the inbuilt compressor.

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search