After recording a whole bunch of bad sounding drums over the last couple of years I finally got a great sound. I decided to to it properly from the ground up.
After reading up A LOT on gearslutz about recording drums I decided to cut no corners that could be avoided. Here's how I did it.
Room- wooden florors, hi ceiling, large and irregularly shaped.
Drummer- jazz trained, consistent hitter,geat time and a nice guy.
Drumkit- Pearl masters, tuned really well along with Z and K custum cymbals
OH (spaced pair)- Avenson st0-2's => dav bg1 pre =>apogee psx100 24bit 44.1k\
Kick -d112 just inside front skin sound hole => buzz audio ssa 1.1 pre => digi 002
Snare -audix i5(great mic!) => buzz audio ssa 1.1 pre=> digi002
snare bottom - sm57 =>digi 002 pre
room mic- tlm 103 into digi 02 pre.
002 clocked to apogee psx 100.
excuse rant but just needed to share. Drums came out 3d and huge, with no brittle cymbals and a snare so punchy that it refuses to be burried in the mix.
With drums I'm still finding you can have several parts of the puzzle together, but still, the drummer sucks, or the drums suck, or I didn't have it together that day....but when that moment arrives, ah such bliss.
(especially love to hear the snare refuses to be buried)