The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Steven Tyler enters rehab for addiction Channel Strip Plugins
Old 24th December 2009
Gear Guru

Steven Tyler enters rehab for addiction

Steven Tyler enters rehab for addiction

(PEOPLE.com ) -- Aerosmith lead singer Steven Tyler has entered a rehab facility for pain management and an addiction to prescription painkillers resulting from 10 years of performance injuries, PEOPLE has learned.

"With the help of my family and team of medical professionals, I am taking responsibility for the management of my pain and am eager to be back on the stage and in the recording studio with my bandmates Joe Perry, Joey Kramer, Tom Hamilton and Brad Whitford," Tyler said in a statement released to PEOPLE.

"I love Aerosmith; I love performing as the lead singer in Aerosmith," he added. "I am grateful for all of the support and love I am receiving and am committed to getting things taken care of."

thumbsup
Old 24th December 2009
Lives for gear

From the People article: 'As with many athletes, Steven put his performance first as he struggled with acute pain for years."

Interesting that it's athlete and not musician.....

Anyway, I wish him good luck. He's one of the last of the great rock singers +frontmen left!
Old 24th December 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorknocker View Post
From the People article: 'As with many athletes, Steven put his performance first as he struggled with acute pain for years."

Interesting that it's athlete and not musician.....

Anyway, I wish him good luck. He's one of the last of the great rock singers +frontmen left!
Yes, I wish him luck as well. Having seen them, his performance truly is athletic.
Old 26th December 2009
Lives for gear
What a wimp. Love his singing. I was "addicted" to demarol and oxycodone for about two years. One day I just said, "THIS SUCKS," went through about two weaks of hot and cold sweats, diarrhea, constipation, depression, mania, anxiety, ADD, and every other temporary mental and physical state... never had a desire to relapse. No demons beckoning me to use. No Golem like cravings for my precious. Just kept thinking "this will be over soon, I just have to wait." And soon enough, it was over. I didn't even stop living my life while I was going through withdrawal, basically just felt (and looked) like I had the flu for two weeks...and soon enough, it was over. Back to normal. Since then I don't believe in addiction. If I ever relapse, its because I'm an idiot and fell for the same trap I did the first time. Same with cigarettes. You definitely have to readdict yourself, addiction isn't "a lifelong struggle" unless you want it to be. If you have fond memories of opiates, of course you are gonna think about using it again. Its not like your body remembers the bad times. Same goes for promiscuous sex, video games, and ice cream. Good luck Steven, and remember, DON'T BE A WIMP! YOU ARE A BADASS, ACT LIKE IT! Once you realize that using is what creates the bad feelings, you will be able to stop. Its just unpleasantness that is easier to avoid by taking more dope, rather than feeling like you have H1N1 for a week or two. Wait it out steve, don't let those rehab people make you obcessed with dope, just stop. Its really that simple. Addiction is self-brainwashing combined with an unpleasant stimulus. Thats all. Easy to overcome if you trust that the bad will go away.
Old 27th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by psykostx View Post
What a wimp. Love his singing. I was "addicted" to demarol and oxycodone for about two years. One day I just said, "THIS SUCKS," went through about two weaks of hot and cold sweats, diarrhea, constipation, depression, mania, anxiety, ADD, and every other temporary mental and physical state... never had a desire to relapse. No demons beckoning me to use. No Golem like cravings for my precious. Just kept thinking "this will be over soon, I just have to wait." And soon enough, it was over. I didn't even stop living my life while I was going through withdrawal, basically just felt (and looked) like I had the flu for two weeks...and soon enough, it was over. Back to normal. Since then I don't believe in addiction. If I ever relapse, its because I'm an idiot and fell for the same trap I did the first time. Same with cigarettes. You definitely have to readdict yourself, addiction isn't "a lifelong struggle" unless you want it to be. If you have fond memories of opiates, of course you are gonna think about using it again. Its not like your body remembers the bad times. Same goes for promiscuous sex, video games, and ice cream. Good luck Steven, and remember, DON'T BE A WIMP! YOU ARE A BADASS, ACT LIKE IT! Once you realize that using is what creates the bad feelings, you will be able to stop. Its just unpleasantness that is easier to avoid by taking more dope, rather than feeling like you have H1N1 for a week or two. Wait it out steve, don't let those rehab people make you obcessed with dope, just stop. Its really that simple. Addiction is self-brainwashing combined with an unpleasant stimulus. Thats all. Easy to overcome if you trust that the bad will go away.
As a one who has kicked more than a few addictions in my life I can say amen to the above text.
Old 27th December 2009
Gear Nut

Yeah, all addicts are pussies. You obviously don't know anything about true addiction. Self righteous much?
Old 27th December 2009
RTR
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by psykostx View Post
A whimp huh..I was eating 8-10 oxy 80's a day for 5 years,..would swallow 15 vikes at one time just so I could function....I am happy you made it through that hell on your own, Me ? I was ready to shoot myself in the face...I found out about suboxone when it first came out and I can say that it saved my life and my family, And I am far from a whimp, I have no worry of relapse, all I have to do is think of the things I have done and the people I hurt to fuel my addiction, an addiction that started because of a fukin car accident!!..So please do not knock people trying to get help, what I took a day would have probably killed you..so at least have a little respect for people trying to get their lives back to normal!!thumbsup
Old 28th December 2009
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTR View Post
A whimp huh..I was eating 8-10 oxy 80's a day for 5 years,..would swallow 15 vikes at one time just so I could function....I am happy you made it through that hell on your own, Me ? I was ready to shoot myself in the face...I found out about suboxone when it first came out and I can say that it saved my life and my family, And I am far from a whimp, I have no worry of relapse, all I have to do is think of the things I have done and the people I hurt to fuel my addiction, an addiction that started because of a fukin car accident!!..So please do not knock people trying to get help, what I took a day would have probably killed you..so at least have a little respect for people trying to get their lives back to normal!!thumbsup
You are actually agreeing with me. Listen to all that whining. "Just so I could function," you and I both know that that is TOTAL BULL! You did it to yourself. All you had to do was taper it down, take the minimum dose to lessen the mania and anxiety, and drink lots of water so you didn't diarrhea it away. You would have been fine in a month or less. You obviously tried to stop cold turkey...very unpleasant, but also not lethal. You may have had trouble with hyperventilating too, when quitting cold turkey. something I think it is disgusting that rehab centers let you experience. You don't need any opiate blockers, god knows what that does to your health. Your body is quite capable of maintaining itself when it is poisoned by a non-lethal dose, or withdrawing from a physical dependency. I'm not saying that what you went through wasn't a difficult time in your life, and I am glad you made it through. I'm just saying that you DID quit on your own, noone can ever make you stop. Its all an illusion my friend. And you are not a wimp if that was your first experience with opiates. Steven Tyler is a wimp because he should know exactly what to expect by now, he shouldn't need anyone to talk him through, he should know how to deal with it! Opiate addiction is very similar to cigarette addiction, in that the only effect from stopping is TEMPORARY unpleasantness. Not like Benzos or Alcohol which cause coma, violent tremors, organ malfunction and death, and require maintenance doses for LIFE to prevent this. My grandfather was an alcoholic (30 beers and 2 glasses of wine a day), either way he was dead, if he stopped, his liver stopped working and he went into a coma, if he kept going, cirrhosis would kill him. He ended up having a rare kidney disease which had nothing to do with alcohol. He is now dead. Quitting opiates really is a matter of not being a wimp, it seems worse than it really is! Good luck Steven, don't be a hedonist wimp, take the discomfort like a man, think of the starving people in Ethiopia and what they feel!

PS: My point is that most people are wimps, addicts or not. They whine and complain and bury their head in the sand. They blame outside influences for their problems, even to the point of violence, instead of just accepting that you were born and you will die, and there is pain in between. There is also joy, if you can accept that. I fear for you my friend, with your attitude of blaming pain killers, you may relapse. It wasn't the opiate addiction that hurt your family, it was YOU.
Old 28th December 2009
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbro View Post
Yeah, all addicts are pussies. You obviously don't know anything about true addiction. Self righteous much?
Lets not have a pissing contest. You don't die from opiate withdrawal. Period. You die from opiate overdose. Stopping is a matter of taking it on the chin and suffering for a few days or weeks. People don't use opiates because they are addicted, they use to avoid the unpleasant side effects, which often don't kick in for a few days. It comes unexpectedly, and can be quite unnerving. You feel like you are jumping out of your skin and that it will never end. Its just an illusion. There are other drugs where the withdrawal is quite real and can kill you. Pain is a CNS illusion to induce fear. It is a survival mechanism. Opiate addiction is fear. Fear is powerful, but it is not deadly. What doesn't kill you...

PS: I have found Cannabis withdrawal to be FAR FAR more unpleasant. Being bi-polar for a month REALLY sucks! The paranoia is surreal! The delusions of grandure are even worse. Then you look back and laugh at how dangerously detatched from reality the mind is when your soul is unconscious.
Old 28th December 2009
Lives for gear
From opiates I have learned a lesson in responsibility, chioce, and consequences. If you don't learn that lesson, your life will suck, drugs or not.
Old 28th December 2009
Gear Nut

Thanks for the info Dr. Know It All Let me guess, addiction is a right wing conspiracy invented by the government to control us all. Or is it just an illusion? What would I know, I'm just a wimp like most people.dfegad
Old 28th December 2009
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbro View Post
Thanks for the info Dr. Know It All Let me guess, addiction is a right wing conspiracy invented by the government to control us all. Or is it just an illusion? What would I know, I'm just a wimp like most people.dfegad
LOL. No its not a right wing conspiracy. If anything its a left-wing conspiracy lol. Right wingers ban drugs for different reasons (can't make money off of plants anyone can grow). I think you miss my point. Opiate withdrawal doesn't kill you. It doesn't put demons in your head. It just makes you feel like crap when you withdraw. Noone wants to feel like crap. But you won't die. Its not the drugs fault that people are wimps and must feel great at all times or else they think something is wrong. Anyone who has gone through real hardship knows that opiate addiction isn't that severe. You can literally stop cold turkey, yea it sucks, you may have breathing problems and stomach problems for a while, BUT GET OVER IT. Its a waiting game. Not a game of life and death, like alchol or benzodiazepines (which are given out like candy in our society). The only reason opiates, cannabis and cocaine are banned is because you can grow them in your back yard (it is also illegal to grow tobacco in most states, gee, I wonder why). People who commit crimes or abuse their family on opiates, would have commited crimes to get something else back they had and lost, and would probably abuse their family anyways. It is very easy to tie the severity of opiate withdrawal to the previous mental health of the patient.

PS: If you lost some of your normal functionality to a car accident or similar, that would also create some severe psychological stress that is easy to blame on opiates.

PPS: Drink 5 cups of coffee a day for a year and then stop cold turkey. Almost the EXACT same withdrawal effects occur. Actually, I've never vomitted from opiate withdrawal (maybe overindulging lol) but I have become violently ill from coffee withdrawal. You'd be surprised how addicting just FEELING GOOD AND ALERT can be. Whether heroin, ice-cream, coffee or exercise provides you with a feeling of well being, it can be incredibly debilitating to be deprived! Besides alcohol and benzos, I'd say the absolute WORST withdrawal is from LOSING SOMEONE YOU LOVE! You never truly get over that. People who can't stop using opiates are WUSSIES. Our society pampers people too much. Granted, its a lot better than treating everyone like dirt like the old days. Can't we find a happy medium? Being a WUSS does not have to be a permanent status, but it will be if you are pampered and told "its not your fault." IT IS YOUR FAULT, ACCEPT THE CONSEQUENCES!
Old 28th December 2009
Lives for gear
If you want the truth about addiction, read Allen Carr's "The Easy Way to Stop Smoking" and watch the movie "Supersize Me." Allen Carr points out that brainwashing (from outside and inside you), combined with a mild unpleasant stimulus is the formula for what he calls "the most effective psychological sand trap nature and mankind have ever conspired to devise." In "supersize me", an addiction to fast food nearly shuts down the hero's vital organs upon stopping! I believe he went into the hospital in near critical condition and the experiment had to stop! There are many more sources of my information, including personal experience. So yes, I AM A KNOW IT ALL WHEN IT COMES TO ADDICTION. Another interesting book on a related subject, "The Puzzle of Pain," by Doctors Melzack and Wall. It is the most complete study of the human experience of pain and is still the authority on the subject. Also, relevant to gearslutz, they use a "noise gate" analogy that is easy for us slutz to understand. According to them, opiates temporarily increase the threshold, reducing the "dynamic range" of pain, thus the pain signal becomes the noise floor and is gated out. Withdrawal can be described as the lowering of the gate threshold, and thus allowing noise through, even in the absence of pain stimulus. Anyone who has ever withdrawn knows that "noise" is a very good way to describe the sensation! Very interesting.

Another good analogy for addiction provided by Allen Carr, "Addicting yourself is like tying your shoes too tight on purpose, so that you can feel the relief of untying them." In other words, by continuing using, you cause unpleasant effects that you relieve by continuing. When you stop, the unpleasant effects slowly subside. The human factor comes in to play here: You have to be tough enough to TRUST that it will end. No faith in your body to regulate itself, no stopping. In other words, DON'T BE A WIMP!
Old 16th March 2017
Here for the gear

My son died from opiate withdrawal. It was determined that he died from cardiac arrear as a result of shock. You people are morons.
Old 16th March 2017
Lives for gear

So sorry for your loss. Worth flagging this is a very old thread.

Lots of lets-predend-doctor in this thread. More opioid deaths in the US this year than AIDS death in the peak of that epidemic. Many people stop exactly as described above but to then imagine that is normal, or even worse should be normal for everyone unless they are 'wimps', is imho total garbage.

Again, v old. thread warning...

Edit: i wonder if the posters above are still around and if their perspective has changed over time. Could be very interesting debate but even if they are still around it is much more likely to turn into a pissing contest (for which were all to blame lol)
Old 17th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davebkowdea View Post
My son died from opiate withdrawal. It was determined that he died from cardiac arrear as a result of shock. You people are morons.

Since Tyler can afford to minimize the effects of withdrawal, why would he choose to sweat it out and take risks to his health even further?

Silly idea. Sounds like a 1950s thing...."Be a man"

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search